Parental Controls Tag Whitelist

isugimpy

I saw in another thread that some finer grained controls are coming to the parental controls section.  I'd like to propose a somewhat heavy-handed but seemingly useful option as well.

Currently, there's a tag-based blacklist which allows you to hide content outside of the normal ratings system.  I would propose additionally that there be a tag-based whitelist where you can guarantee that a piece of content will be available regardless of rating.  Example/reasoning follows.

Before PG-13, anything that wasn't heavy duty dropped into the PG category instead of R. There are some PG movies that I'd be okay with my 7 year old watching (Ghostbusters, Despicable Me, etc), but by and large I wouldn't want him to have access to all of them. Airplane is PG and contains nudity and a good amount of inappropriate language. Same with The Bad News Bears and Poltergeist. The list of PG movies that are acceptable is FAR smaller than the list of unacceptable ones. Being able to tag into a whitelist instead of a blacklist would be hugely helpful. That way, users could have the ratings filter allow up to G (or TV-Y7 for TV stuff), and then curate additional content by hand, without having to worry that something will slip through, because they didn't tag something immediately after adding it to the server.

There is already a request to "allow by tag" in addition to "block by tag" but you can do what you need to right now.

Each item has a "Custom Rating" field.  You simply set this to what you believe the item should really be treated as and that is what will be used for the purpose of Parental Control.

• 3 years later...