Videos stops abruptly

revengineer

revengineer

I have several videos that start playing for a several seconds and then playback suddenly stops. This is repeatable and videos always stop at the same spot. The videos were encoded with handbrake and play fine with other clients (I tried the html5 player and emby theater. I have attached the log so someone can take a look. Thanks for the help in advance.

syncService-5f6ccecb-2218-4196-be45-0216a975bfe1.log

this is actually the log for the background sync service. is there another log from the same time frame that does not begin with syncservice? thanks.

revengineer

Ah, I simply grabbed the latest log file and just verified that the affected title was listed in it. I will reproduce tonight and post more complete logs.

revengineer

ok, the issue is 100% reproducible. Log (hopefully the right one this time) is attached. The movie not working are encode with the handbrake v0.10.2.7286 with only minor modifications to the "High Profile" default setting. Again, the movies play fine through the web player, even on Android. Please help. Thank you!

9a1fd7ac-784e-49b0-9ecd-128c32eeb8c4.log

it seems vlc thinks it has reached the end so it stops. what is the media info from the web interface? we might just have to figure out how to identify them and make them transcode for now until we update our vlc libs and then retest it

revengineer

Media Info

Video
CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution720x368

Aspect ratio160:69

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97709

Bitrate1349 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames4

CABACYes

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAAC

ProfileLC

Layoutstereo

Channels2 ch

Bitrate156 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate375 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultNo

revengineer

Another data point: when I sync the movie, where the movie is first converted in full on the server and then downloaded to the Android phone, the movie also plays just fine. So you suggestion that the app thinks the movie has ended while streaming seems plausible.

• 2 weeks later...
revengineer

ok, I believe I figured out what the problem is. I first encode the a problem video with Handbrake's default "High Profile" settings and had the same problem of the video stopping abruptly shortly after launch. I then did another encode without the second AC3 audio stream so that AAC is the only audio stream in the file. The video then played.

This is not an issue on Windows VLC so that there is hope of the VLC library update on android will resolve the issue. As for now, video's encoded with handbrake default settings remain unplayable. I tried to use an external player but selecting that option just bumps me back to the movie main screen.

that's really odd. yes we will be updating libvlc soon anyway because it looks like they're working on audio passthrough which will be really nice. i will look at the external player issue.

• 2 months later...

Hi

im having the exakt same problem in the android app. (plays for a few sec then stops, depending on what film it plays it can work better if i choose to play it on external player like mx player)

if i lower the bitrate it works on the normal player (i need to force it to transcode then it works) this happens on every device i have except for roku.

if im using the android tv app its no problem, but that app have the problem that it cant go to full image

(getting black bars around the image)

/Regards

Well the one thing the app doesn't have that it probably needs is some kind of automatic seamless restart of playback. In the meantime I think you might just want to lower the bitrate as it sounds like any momentary network drops are causing it to stop

Well the one thing the app doesn't have that it probably needs is some kind of automatic seamless restart of playback. In the meantime I think you might just want to lower the bitrate as it sounds like any momentary network drops are causing it to stop

ok, but its no problem if im using your other app that have the name "adroid tv"?  (except for black bars)

i dont se how its a network error since it docent mater if it using wire or wireless and the ruko have no problems playing?

/Regards

Not necessarily a network error but I think the video player might be a little overly sensitive right now to any momentary drop, or perhaps not even a drop but perhaps even a moment of reduced network performance. What I'm saying is, although these are normal and unavoidable, I think we can improve the app to react to them better than it currently does, which is by just stopping the video. So it's mostly an improvement for us to make, but my suggestion was just to help give you something you can try in the meantime.

Ok Thank. Just haft ask did you change any thing that has to do with this in the latest beta? Because I just installed it and now it seams to work, (2.5.54)

I changed the transcoding container from .ts to .mkv which seems to play smoother, as far as I can tell at least.

When direct streaming though there should be no change from before. After the holiday I will look at making the video player more resilient.

Ok nice =)

oh got one more fore you,  why do i haft too login every time i start the android tv app? (the normal Android app have not this problem) 

im sorry about me saying its black borders around the Android tv app, it turned out i only had to go to settings in android and choose to run that app in full screen mode and it works perfect. 

//Regards 

Ok nice =)

oh got one more fore you,  why do i haft too login every time i start the android tv app? (the normal Android app have not this problem) 

Go into the settings page and change the log-in behavior.

The TV app is designed for use on a shared device such as a living room TV set so it doesn't automatically remember the last login.

Mike2715

Hi

I'm having the exact same problem with the android app. (plays for a few sec. then stops). On two brand new Asus Zen10 tablets. Web client works fine.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
chambonito

I also have this issue but have tracked it down a little further. I use Emmy on my kindle fire HDX getting the Emmy app in the Amazon app store and on any video mp4, hvec or even transcoding from recordings such as dvrms it plays, then stutters and stops. If I lower bit rate to lowest quality then it works...however. I used the Emmy app on another tablet that is just running lollipop and it streamed just fine with the exception of hvec which stuttered until I lowered the bit rate one setting and then it was fine but maxed out cpu resources on the server. I find that using the kindle HDX native Emmy app gives the crashes, however on the same HDX loading up the web browser and playing it through there they are flawless playback. No problem with chromecast stuttering either. Just the native Android app...