Can't login to local server from the Android app

stangri

No, I'm not able to connect externally -- I intentionally made my server invisible externally.

Decided to pursue that due to the lack of other suggestions. I've enabled port mapping and was able to connect externally from my phone. Then I've decided to check if I can connect locally from my phone and much to my surprise -- I could.

But then I've tethered my tablet and still could NOT connect externally. The only two things drastically different on a tablet were the Android version (4.4.2 vs 5.1.1) and the model name -- it's a Chinese tablet and the model name has some Chinese symbols. I edited the build.prop to remove all non-english characters, rebooted and voila -- I can connect to my Emby server from my tablet now.

TL;DR version -- the Android app or server incorrectly handle incoming connections if the device name has UTF-8 characters outside of english. 

Also tested if I could connect from my Fire TV Stick -- and I couldn't. Any idea why is that?
Edited by stangri

Very interesting info. On the fire tv stick, did you attempt to connect via the server auto-discovery or by manually entering the address? Whichever one you tried, can you try the reverse?

Luke, on Fire TV Stick I was shown a PIN and when I approved it on the emby.media/pin web-page (and got that text inline that it's been added) I've clicked Next on Fire TV Stick, then I was brought back to the PIN screen on the stick with a different PIN number this time.

ok, the pin code mechanism is for Emby Connect. there should be a button to try and connect via manual server address entry.

ok, the pin code mechanism is for Emby Connect. there should be a button to try and connect via manual server address entry.

Yeah, there was, but I don't think I've ever set up the password on my "local" account after I synced it up to emby connect.

So I take it that emby connect not working on fire tv stick is an expected behavior? 

No, it is not expected that Emby Connect would not work. It sounds as if you have a non-standard configuration. And if that's the case you are probably better off just using the manual local connection.

It sounds like two things are occurring:

1) Your server is not able to be discovered automatically, because that's the only way you would have ended up on the Connect screen first.

2) Whatever address is being reported by Emby Connect also cannot be reached which is why it is falling back to that screen again after attempting to connect

Could be a firewall or some other network oddity.  Please try the manual method and let us know how it goes.

stangri

TL;DR version -- the Android app or server incorrectly handle incoming connections if the device name has UTF-8 characters outside of english. 

Is anyone looking into that?