Can't login to local server from the Android app

stangri

Can't quite tell when it started happening, as I haven't used an Android client for a while, but as of emby-server-beta.noarch 0:3.0.5713.6.gitec3fdf3-246.1 I cannot login to the server with neither stable nor beta (reported as 2.4.8) android client.

It prompts me to login to emby connect, which I do, then I see a constantly increasing number of servers (starts with 2 and increases by 1 each time I relogin) but whichever one I click I'm then prompted to select a user which when I'm trying to login as it says invalid login/password.

The only user currently active on my server is the emby connect-linked user.

I should have added that the emby server beta is running on CentOS 6.7 and I have no problem with the web app -- login, playback, everything works. It's just both stable and beta versions of android app which have problems.

i'm not able to reproduce. is it https? if so, it currently has not implemented support for self-signed certs, so you would need a trusted cert or http.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I haven't touched anything https-related on my server.

Any idea why would the android client see my server in multiples? 

I've set up the server from scratch and I'm still seeing ghosted servers in both web app and the android client and I can login with emby connect only with the web app, Android client can't connect to my server.

The only possible reason for that could be that after the install I didn't hit the local IP address to configure the server, I went to the web app and saw the server there and configured it there.

But how can I reset my account to try from the scratch?

Ok, updated to the current ES: emby-server-3.0.5724.4-247.1 and I was able to delete some ghosted servers from the web app. Still couldn't connect from Android so I've switched back to Android beta, which eventually could see just one remaining server, however it still prompted me to select a user for the server even tho I was logged in with Emby Connect (and the authorized user is linked to my emby account).

And now I can't even see the media within the web app -- I use my credentials to successfully login to Emby Connect, then select a server from within the web app and then it again prompts me to login as a local user (which it fails to do whichever local user I select).

OK, so one problem fixed -- seems that emby server forgot that my local user account is linked to EmbyConnect account. I've set it up again.

I've also completely deleted /var/lib/emby-server folder and reconfigured server from scratch, this time making sure to go thru the setup wizard by hitting a local IP first. I can still login thru web app, and still can't login from Android app. I mean I can login with the Emby Connect, I'm then shown the list of servers, I pick the only one there, I get the activity with the home tab and everything, it's empty tho, no media content is displayed and I'm then prompted to login (to the server) again. 

It's as if for the Android app my server doesn't know my emby connect login is linked to the local login.

What gives?

Edited by stangri

Posted the sanitized log here: http://pastebin.com/appjadLB

I've wiped app data, then started it, logged into emby connect, saw the server, tapped on it and got a prompt to login to the server (even tho my server account is linked to my emby connect account).

I've disabled UPnP in the server config and I'm not forwarding any ports from the router to the emby box as I don't want it to be visible from outside. Not sure if that's the reason the android app doesn't connect, but it's not a problem for the web app.

If it is then i would double check that the ip addresses the app is using to connect to the server are correct. basically what i'm seeing is lots of http requests from the app to your emby server timing out. for whatever reason it just seems unreachable from the app on your device.

Yes, it's from inside my home network. Web app works just fine here (including me running it in the chrome on the same android device where the android app fails to connect).

billneftleberg

Yes, it's from inside my home network. Web app works just fine here (including me running it in the chrome on the same android device where the android app fails to connect).

you arent the only one. i updated to the new android beta and im having the exact same issue

i was fine till i updated i have a kindle and a nexus and both stopped working when i updated

Could it be that the router is getting in a way of Android client? I believe my firewall may be configured too aggressively, for example Chromecast doesn't work within my network as well. Is there any difference in how Android client discovers/connects to local server from the Web app client?

That's beyond my knowledge, but afaik there's no multicast or UDP packets within the network unless I configure them to go thru.

So I've (incorrectly) posted this before in the server section (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24971-android-client-cant-login-to-current-es-beta/) thinking it could be a server beta problem, but now I'm thinking it's an Android app issue more than anything. Another person posted in my original thread that they have the same problem and there's a thread in Android app forum section with people being "unable to login" so it may be related.

So here's what's happening: I start with a fresh install of the Emby app on my Android device, swipe thru the greeting, then enter my Emby Connect credentials and I can see one (local LAN) server on the next page along with its local IP address). However when I tap on the server to connect to it it just fails. It used to time-out (log is here: http://pastebin.com/appjadLB) and prompt me to login to server but since the last app version it just forever waits).

I have linked my local server account with my Emby Connect account and from the same Android device I can login using the same credentials thru the Crome/Web app and playback is just fine in Chrome (but I'd like the native experience of the app).

So Android app has been unusable for me for the past month pretty much. I have the latest beta from the Play store and my server version is 3.0.5724.4-281.1 on CentOS 6.7.

Its not that we don't want to help, I think we're just a little stumped. As a test, if you disable your phones WiFi is it able to connect externally?

No, I'm not able to connect externally -- I intentionally made my server invisible externally.

You would greatly help if you advise me what's the difference between an Android app and the Web app in terms of connecting to the local server.

Like I said I can connect from the same Android device's Chrome browser to the server, but the native app can't connect.