MP3 vs FLAC

jamvids

Hello anybody

I have quite a large MP3 collection (majority 320kbps) and have avoided FLAC, and converted it to mp3. My question is am I missing something? Is anyone out there a devout flac audiophile that can put me straight on the subject. And how do I use it with Emby?

all emby apps play flac. the ones that don't' support it natively will use the server's transcoding features. currently the mobile android app and emby theater support it natively. i believe the windows 10 tablet app also supports it natively but i'm not positive.

• Like 1

shorty1483

all emby apps play flac. the ones that don't' support it natively will use the server's transcoding features. currently the mobile android app and emby theater support it natively. i believe the windows 10 tablet app also supports it natively but i'm not positive.

But still no 320k MP3 transcoding for flac in Web client right?

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by shorty1483

fantaxp7

I think FLAC is nice if you're into audio and have a decent stereo setup. If you never really heard that much of a difference between MP3s when they were first coming out and  CDs then I'd imagine you wouldn't care too much. 

Deathsquirrel

The WIndows 10 app is now playing FLAC natively if you are running it on Windows 10.  I assume not on 8.1 as that OS doesn't do native FLAC.  Emby Theater supports it but lacks a decent  music playback UI IMO.

All my music is ripped to FLAC and it does sound better than the 320K MP3s I make from those flac files.

As others said, disk space is cheap, may as well do flac or just do both.  I do both so I have files I can dump on the iphones in the house when needed.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 2

I have tried a few flac files and everything plays well, even when streaming. And what's this I hear, Cymbals. Oh well, time to dust off the CD's. There is a difference, even over bluetooth. I do have half decent Hi fI gear, even the el cheapo speakers in the kitchen are full range (microlab) and I still can't believe what I paid for them for the sound quality that comes out of them. Just hope that it doesn't max out my onedrive. 

Deathsquirrel

I have tried a few flac files and everything plays well, even when streaming. And what's this I hear, Cymbals. Oh well, time to dust off the CD's. There is a difference, even over bluetooth. I do have half decent Hi fI gear, even the el cheapo speakers in the kitchen are full range (microlab) and I still can't believe what I paid for them for the sound quality that comes out of them. Just hope that it doesn't max out my onedrive. 

Just to set your expectations on disc usage, my 320Kbps MP3s eat up about 60GB. The FLAC file set for the same albums runs about 135GB.  That's from ripping 425 CDs.

legallink

I've got a mixture and listen predominantly in an nice set of headphones (Oppo PM-3), and so far, with Emby, I can't hear a huge difference between my MP3's and my Flac files, but there is a slight one.

That's not too bad, I don't think I will keep both mp3 and FLAC, just a mixture. Shouldn't do my onedrive limit in if that is the case. And I can keep up looking for CD singles in charity shops (this is becoming a bad habit). Now to dream of a new surround amp for the living room which is DLNA, plays flac and has a straight 4 speaker (and sub) stereo mode on it. 

I can hear a difference with some albums.

One in particular where the difference between these two containers is "Deftones: White Pony".

Not an album I listen all that often lately, but the drum tracks on it are far superior with FLaC.

This is also noticeably, the case with later TOOL albums.

I will give it a test with The Wall, my try stereo gear album.

Though I have noticed the sub in the car is doing a little bit more, voice seems to get thrown a bit better and anything with higher tones is sounding good. As far as the drums thing goes, it's the top end that benefits, I used to hate listening to nirvana when mp3 first came about as the bass was okay but the cymbals sounded awful so gotta dig those out too. The next gen of mobile hardware is becoming more HD audio driven (I hate the term HD). Basically giving us something back that has been taken in the digital age which is acoustic depth. So the Xperia Z5 should really show up the differences with my studio headphones. It's a shame they aren't doing well in the states (Sony) as the sound they get is awesome. 

I use Emby with a large collection of mostly FLAC albums (some at 24-bits).  Frankly, unless you have the equipment to take advantage of the extra sonic information, you will not appreciate  (or hear) the difference. For example, while on the move I use an external portable DAC (Sony PHA-1) together with either Bose Comfort noise cancelling headphones (when in a noisy envoirnment) or Shure 425s (when not). On my tablet I use the Onkyo HF Player. This lot costs ~700 pounds in the UK not including the tablet.

I can clearly hear the difference (with 24 bit FLACs it is a joy) but with standard headphones and without the DAC I struggle.

I think my equipment should show me the difference if i had the right hardware. My phone is due an upgrade soon, I will be opting for the Xperia Z5 unless the 6 is out by then, Sony are pushing HD (grrrr) audio and I have a set of sony MDR1 (£300 when new, free to me, cheers Sony) headphones, the wife also got a set of sony HD (grrr) headphones with her Z3+. My home cinema setup is a Harmon Kardon A R 155 amp driving 2 x B&W floor standers (£2000 when new), surrounded by Cambridge Audio centre and satellites and an eltax sub.I also have a cheapo galaxy tablet. I was hoping this gear would sound amazing, while very good it still lacks that something special. Most of the time I will use my multi room audio which streams via bluetooth to an array of different systems, so it will always be just good. Sometimes I just like to chill and listen in the living room which is when I want that experience. I was thinking of something like a nexus player or some other android based unit so I can still use emby TV, and get the audio experience as well.

It looks like I am an apprentice audiophile, nearly there but just need that vital piece of hardware, just don't know what that is. 

FrostByte

If you have the extra space for keeping the FLAC files then I would.  Even if you can't tell when playing with the audio equipment you have today, some day you may upgrade your hardware and wish you kept the FLAC files.  Or, just keep the FLAC files for your favorite albums/songs, etc

• Like 1

If you have the extra space for keeping the FLAC files then I would.  Even if you can't tell when playing with the audio equipment you have today, some day you may upgrade your hardware and wish you kept the FLAC files.  Or, just keep the FLAC files for your favorite albums/songs, etc

I am defo going flac now, the only reason I didn't before is not a lot played it. It makes better sense now to archive now before all of my cd's die from cd beetle or whatever it is that ruins them so long task ahead, but who doesn't love an improvement project (apart from apple lovers :) )

• 2 weeks later...
jamvids

Okay, for anyone who was interested in this, after a few weeks of study, listening and re-ripping all of my CD's (plus many many others bought at charity shops), over bluetooth there is quite a difference, MP3 320's sound good, but flac sounds great, nice top end, great bass, but the best way to describe it is punch, what was missing has returned. Still haven't done a headphone test though, that is where it will be more difficult I presume as there is not as much compression, whereas with bluetooth you take a compressed file, then compress it in a different way (A2DP or APTX depending on hardware, mine is A2DP).

P.S. Emby Rules, still great streaming with FLAC, just gotta get sync working right on my xperia's to external SD. A job for this week. 

• Like 4