Episodes not staying watched

Glyde62

Noticed yesterday that when I watch something in Kodi it marks it watched briefly then the watched indicator disappears

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Have Kodi installed on my Desktop Pc and it marks them correctly,But Kodi on my HTPC isn't.

Anyone have any ideas?

Angelblue05

Post your kodi log, that's the only way to know what's happening.

Check our how-to sticky in this forum if you need help with retrieving the log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having the same problem, for the last week approximately.

It seems it's doing the problem only for media that were already in the DB before the problem appears.

The first hint something was wrong was when I logged in Kodi a week ago. the following popup appear :

"Can't detect version of Emby for Kodi the DB was created with. Was it at least version 1.1.33?"

In the background at the same time I see the emby notification saying Welcome, so connectivity if fine.

I'm running stable release with default auto update, so I assume I'm running latest stable and a simple update occurred on the server side, so I just click yes.

Then I realise the same thing as Glyde62. The watch status disappear quickly after one sec. Doing the same if you stop the playback in the middle. You'll see the kodi icon for partial playback, then it will disappear  after one sec. When seeing "database compression" message generated by emby synch. 

If you manually mark a movie/episode as watch, it will work as usual and get synced with emby.

Seems to be only affecting media that were in the DB before the problem appeared. New movie/episodes are working fine.

Adding logs, here is the sequence for the test: 

- start kodi

- play: simpson 3x19 

- forward 10 min

- stop:

partially watch icon is visible for 1 sec then disappear

- play: Mr Robot 1x10

- forward 10 min

- stop

partially watch stay there, no bug

- go back to the simpson 3x19 and manually mark as watched

watch status stay, no bug

kodi_playback_not_sync.log

Koleckai Silvestri

Make sure your Emby server is set to update the watched value on the proper user.. In the web configuration tool go to Metadata -> NFO. Set the user appropriately. I don't use Kodi and had the same problem until I set it to update no users and get the watched status out of the Emby database.

Angelblue05

I did add new information to hold in the database to fix the watch status in 1.1.33.

It's really important to reset your library if you were not on 1.1.33 or higher prior to the update, otherwise watch status would fail to be set properly for old items and only new items would have the correct watch status.

Edited by Angelblue05

Just toggled the option and it still do the same behavior.  

Note:

- I've switched from SQL to Emby backend on Kodi a month ago. I pretty much have all default settings on the Emby side.

- This problem has been tested with 4 different users on 2 different HTPC

- This is only affecting the old media and not the newly scanned media. (more than a week old media, since DB version pop-up message)

Regards

Angelblue05

Can you confirm that you've reset your library since that DB pop up message?

Your simpsons episode:

EMBY WriteKodiVideoDB -> logMsg : Found embyId: da03484739f37e5f3998a96ab80507e0 in database - kodiId: 183 fileId: None type: episode

fileId being None proves the database wasn't reset since 1.1.33 because it should have a number which is why it's failing to apply the watch status.

This is your Mr Robot episode:

EMBY WriteKodiVideoDB -> logMsg : Found embyId: 4cd97aeb6efdc3cf76212f47e9b8cfcf in database - kodiId: 2124 fileId: 3130 type: episode

Reset your database and you should be good to go and it will 100% fix your issue, as I said. :) We added the prompt for this exact reason, so you shouldn't have this problem moving forward. It will let you know when a reset is required.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@plasmon

Launch the emby add-on in Kodi > scroll down the list you'll see: Perform local database reset (full resync). That's all you need to do :)

Edit: You can also go in the add-on settings > advanced tab > reset local database there. To launch the add-on otherwise, you'd go into Videos > video add-ons > Emby. Do not reset your Emby information, just reset your database when it prompts you. Then Kodi will shut down and when you restart, it will sync back your Emby library into Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05

Make sure your Emby server is set to update the watched value on the proper user.. In the web configuration tool go to Metadata -> NFO. Set the user appropriately. I don't use Kodi and had the same problem until I set it to update no users and get the watched status out of the Emby database.

Regarding the setting mentioned here: Sync user watch data to nfo's for

Should it be set to no user (blank) ? I have it set to the Emby user account that all my Kodi PCs login with currently. 

All my test Kodi PCs with the Emby add-on, all login to Emby with the same user account, as eventually all the live HTPCs will also use this same Emby user account.

So no matter which HTPC you go on in the house, they will all show the same watched / un-watched status for the media library. 

I can't see why people bother setting up different Emby user accounts and then having different users login to the Kodi HTPCs.

Sure for mobile devices like phones and tablets using the Emby Android app, I use different Emby user accounts for each mobile device, depending on who's it is etc but not for Kodi PCs. 

EDIT: And how do I get an Alpha testing badge? Or a Kodi beta tester one at least LOL. 

Edited by cw-kid

@@plasmon

Launch the emby add-on in Kodi > scroll down the list you'll see: Perform local database reset (full resync). That's all you need to do :)

Edit: You can also go in the add-on settings > advanced tab > reset local database there. To launch the add-on otherwise, you'd go into Videos > video add-ons > Emby. Do not reset your Emby information, just reset your database when it prompts you. Then Kodi will shut down and when you restart, it will sync back your Emby library into Kodi.

Thank you, it's now working all fine after the resync.

Note: I was having a user that hasn't logged since the problem appeared (kids account). I answered "no" to the popup question and did it the reset (full resync) on itself.  My personal advice would reformulate the first popup so by instinct people would chose the good answer. Something like: Different DB version detected, kodi will now reboot and resync the DB, no data will be lost. Do you want to proceed Yes / no. 

One other thought: when having multiple users, I have to do the sequence for all user one by one. Multiple kodi restart and multiple sync can be a bit annoying. When a resync is required a single reboot and resetting all user at the same time could be interesting. Still this should happen rarely so it's not a must just a comment.

Keep the good work, this is a wonderful piece of software

an happy supporter

Edited by plasmon
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Awesome, glad it's working now.

Yeah we've had many requests for something to make multi users easier to use and maintain, but it's just not possible. This is the price to pay for doing things the Kodi way where each user have their own database, etc. In exchange, you get full functionality in other aspects such as using any skin you want, smooth ui navigation for your emby content, etc. :)

Maybe someday, something like what you described will be possible. We are always looking to make things easier, not harder for our users. Since the add-on is constantly being developed, we have no choice to ask our users to reset, but at one point, we'll have our structure fully defined and there won't be a need for resets anymore and that will be a glorious day for all of us. hah :)

mgworek

Just wanted to add that I was having the same problem up until I downloaded an Emby Add-on update yesterday. It started after I updated and reset my DB. I was going to post about it but didn't have time but like I said, it was fixed with yesterdays update.

I'm having this issue which a DB reset doesn't seem to fix. Specifically, episodes are marked as watched on Kodi but Emby hasn't picked up that change. I only have one user and the metadata watched status is set to that user. A manual sync doesn't seem to transfer the status either but new episodes do seem to show up so something is syncing. Here are a few recent logs:

Server Version 3.0.5724.3

Windows 7

Kodi addon 1.1.39

log 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcinuts429rdwar/kodi.1.log?dl=0

log 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0q33c4s7pumc86/kodi.2.log?dl=0

Is there something I can try?

Angelblue05

@@smidley you probably didn't do a database reset on that one device that keeps resetting the watch status.

One way to quickly test - try playing a brand new content that was just added to your library, vs an older content that's been part of your library for a long while. If they behave differently where one does keep the watch status and the other does not, then you need to do a reset, otherwise post your Kodi log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05