Cannot play media through Kodi since Emby Add-on Update

fayraz

Hi,

I am using Kodi v15.1 on Windows 10 with the Emby Addon v1.1.39 installed but the issue I am having is since this latest update to the add-on I cannot play any media.

I select to play the media but nothing happens sometimes you get the dialogue opening stream but then get the failed message which says check logs.

Everything seems to update OK for example when you add new media it pops into Kodi.

I am running Kodi with the latest Emby add-on update on a Android box and FireTV stick and all are now failing to play media.

I have attached the log file.

Edited by fayraz

Did you do a kodi database reset after updating?

If not you should (it is done through the emby for kodi addon setting in case you didn't know)

Edited by Vidman

Did you do a kodi database reset after updating?

If not you should (it is done through the emby for kodi addon setting in case you didn't know)

Yes I have done a full reset and it sync's everything but cannot play anything.

Angelblue05

Previous stable was silently falling back to direct stream if direct play didn't work. Now it tells you there's an issue with your path. 

Do you use NFS or SMB file protocol? Kodi can't open your paths how they are currently formatted. To get the same behavior as before, you can simply enable play from http in the add-on settings or use path substitution in your Emby server. Path substitution, emby dashboard > library > path substitution

/mnt/Media/TV/Fargo/Fargo.S01E01.720p.HDTV.x264-REMARKABLE.mkv

to : \\networkshare\TV

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for the info I have now selected to play from HTTP which is now working OK, I am streaming from a online server so it makes sense about playing from HTTP.

The only thing is I now get the message after the video is playing saying "Cache filled before reaching amount for continuous playback" but the video seems to be playing OK.

I thought direct stream and direct play were the same thing?

Angelblue05

Buffering/cache, etc. is all handled by Kodi. I see it sometimes when direct streaming,  but very rarely.

Direct play - Kodi reads the file and plays it.

Direct stream - Emby server feeds the file to Kodi without modifications

Transcode - Emby server feeds the file to Kodi with modifications (bitrate, etc.)

Hi having the same trouble too tried the above but still the same so decided to delete Myvideo93 restart but doesn't even try to sync, now there are no movies shown attached log don't know if it will help or not

win 7 machine

kodi.log

Angelblue05

@@wints

Your issue is unrelated to this thread. Can you try to reset and resync your library and wipe your emby information (basically start from scratch) just so we can make sure your add-on settings didn't get corrupted somehow? Thanks

Edited by Angelblue05

ok can do, but after reading my own post I've left a lot of info out about my setup (tired lol) let me start again first off I have 3 machines running kodi on my network

1. my htpc (also the server) windows 7 running emby server, kodi with emby for kodi (all is running fine when trying to playback)

2. living room pc windows 7 running, kodi with emby for kodi (the log I posted above was from this pc) nothing will playback

3. bedroom asus chromebox openelec, kodi with emby for kodi again nothing will playback

so if you still want me to start from scratch let me know and it shall be done lol, sorry for the lack of info in my first post

Angelblue05

Test on one machine and confirm that the behavior still happens. For some reason, you are getting an error when trying to pull your emby information that we saved in your add-on settings. So I want to rule out setting corruption before going further. Thanks @@wints

Right I've un-installed emby for kodi on machine 2 deleted the addon folder restarted the machine installed emby again but it remembers all my settings as if it was never un-installed, so I tried to see if I could play anything back but no still the same comes up with error check log for details, I've attached the log cheers

kodi.log

Angelblue05

No, you need to launch the emby add-on, then reset your local database (full resync). It will ask you if you want to also delete your emby information and you will say yes.

Hi no it doesn't , update got machine 3 working using "launch the emby add-on, then reset your local database (full resync)" but it didn't ask "It will ask you if you want to also delete your emby information" but any way it seems to be fine couldn't get machine 2 to work no matter what i did so just now I copied my userdata folder from machine 1 along with the addon folder to machine 2 and now it's working, one thing I have noticed since the upgrade is that I use playlists to order my films, i.e kids, sci-fi, marvel ,main movies and so on but now its showing my boxset sci-fi and marvel movies still in the main movies section as well as in there own sections, also i use file sharing program for F1 (anything in the file sharing folder) some how has appeared in my movies section too? any ideas? and many thanks for the help

• Like 1

Angelblue05

You're probably looking at the Kodi movies entry rather than the Emby video node. Kodi movies display all movie type content in your entire library.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Np :) Note, changing home shortcuts is not supported in confluence skin. Any other skin should have similar options.

Go into skin settings (settings > appearance > skin settings). Find where you can change your home shortcuts. Create a shortcut that points to video add-ons > emby > movies for example. Give the shortcut a name and rinse and repeat. You can also create playlists using tags filters (videos > playlist > smart playlist). They are based on your emby library sections so you can easily recreate any structure you want. The reason I mention playlists is because some skin will only support shortcuts based on playlists rather than video nodes.

Beautiful many thanks all working and looking great  :D  cheers again, ohh one more thing before you run off lol is there any way that you can share a folder with emby but not  have that folder monitored to download any metadata or images? cheers

Set the folder content type as home movies in emby....only problem there is that home movie content type is not currently supported by the emby for kodi addon

My Kodi stopped being able to stream from Emby Server a few days ago as well.  Due to issues with the Ubuntu package over the last month, yesterday I completely re-installed Emby Server (wiping all files/folders it had except for the meta data in the video folders).  

I tried a reset of Kody for Emby, it fully synced but still nothing would stream.  It's an Android Nexus Player, so I wiped all data for the application, downloaded the latest Emby repository and reinstalled the plugin, which found the server and synced everything up, but it still fails to stream anything.  At this point, I have to assume it's due to a recent update and hope for a fixed update soon.

Due to Emby Server not supporting AUFS, I have it pointed at 8 individual drives for TV and Movies, but only the two combined drives are shared over the network, so if streaming doesn't work, there is no direct play option, unless I go and add another 8 file shares and configure the paths in Kodi.  Yes, I once tried assigning the shared TV path for each of the 4 TV drives and the shared Movie path for each of the 4 Movie drives in Emby Server's config in the past to give Kodi direct access to files but it still continued to stream it.  Not sure if I want to mess around with it any more today.

...Donovan

Edited by LongDono

Angelblue05

You could also enable direct stream - which is essentially the same as direct playing. In the add-on settings > playback > enable Play from HTTP.