FreeNAS + Emby Server Hardware Build ~$1500 (2015)

Kent

OK, think I am near final build list.  Sacrificed an 8 drive pool (now) for Quick Sync (now), betting that I would use quick sync before i'll need to worry about exceeding 18tb of usable storage.  It's a trade off, but I got 90% of what I wanted and lowered the cost to boot.

Any thoughts??

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1246 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($276.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($132.09 @ Adorama)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($132.09 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS  ($139.95 @ B&H)
Other: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLH-F ($207.99)
Total: $1706.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 19:48 EDT-0400

Diedrich

Looks great! I have that same UPS, it's NIIICE. What board did you decide on?

Edit: I saw your PCPP list. Board looks good. I learned the other day that communicate better through the Serial port, I haven't taken the time to see if the CyberPower comes with one. I need to find my box. I haven't had any problem using USB though, just be sure to connect it through USB2.0.

Consider this: If you decide to add more drives later you will have to spend around $100 for the expansion card and $30+ on cables. Or you can just spend the $100 now on the SL7 and have one less component to fail.

Edited by dvgmar

Yep I know but I really want the quick sync capability over the drive expansion simplicity.  I can't add quick sync later on in any configuration with an SL7, but i can add drives later on with a decent LSI controller.  It's a bit of a sacrifice but I'm comfortable with it!

Thanks for all your feedback! Going to sit on this and see if others want to chime in before i order it. Probably looking at opportunity orders (finding parts on sale) or do a bulk order in October.  Rest of Sept. is going to be hell and wont have time to focus on building the server and installing FreeNAS.

jackalopes

If I may humbly suggest the ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard as a low power solution?  I've been running one for almost a year now without a single problem.  Not to mention it has support for up to 64GB DDR3, 12 SATA ports and IPMI for complete headless configuration.  Tek Sydicate did a nice video review along with a FreeNAS build series that is a huge help when setting things up.

Something to consider is how much horsepower you will really use compared to the power consumption of your NAS.  FreeNAS works just fine on lower powered solutions as well as top end gear.  You may find out that a Xeon CPU is more than you really need.  I currently have around 10 jails on my machine and it barely breaks 10% CPU cycles on average.  I'd suggest running your configuration over on the FreeNAS boards to get some really great feedback and suggestions.

Edited by jackalopes

Thanks, i'll take a look!

Considering Xeon for the horses transcoding needs on Emby, as I'm building more a media server than a NAS.  Also considering future Emby support of QuickSync as well, which makes it a lot more complicated.

FreeNAS guys are suggesting I go with the Supermicro sl7 + Xeon CPU for my needs. 

• Like 1

Kent-

First I just wanted to thank you for posting this.  I set up my FreeNAS more to test out the whole thing and used just old pc hardware and now want to "build it right" since everything works well for my uses.  And my uses are really exactly what you're doing, mainly Emby.  So this post is REALLY helpful, so thanks again.

I do have a question for you.  With our setup, we mainly use FireTV w/ the Kodi/Emby addon so I don't normally transcode.  Although we do also use Emby apps on tablets, etc.  Is your use of the Xeon to handle multiple transcoding feeds or just one feed at a time?  Again I ask because in our setup we'll rarely have transcoding and if so, it would only be one feed (for example, wife transcoding to her tablet while kids watching via FireTV so no transcoding there, etc.).

Kent-

First I just wanted to thank you for posting this.  I set up my FreeNAS more to test out the whole thing and used just old pc hardware and now want to "build it right" since everything works well for my uses.  And my uses are really exactly what you're doing, mainly Emby.  So this post is REALLY helpful, so thanks again.

I do have a question for you.  With our setup, we mainly use FireTV w/ the Kodi/Emby addon so I don't normally transcode.  Although we do also use Emby apps on tablets, etc.  Is your use of the Xeon to handle multiple transcoding feeds or just one feed at a time?  Again I ask because in our setup we'll rarely have transcoding and if so, it would only be one feed (for example, wife transcoding to her tablet while kids watching via FireTV so no transcoding there, etc.).

Yes, designed to handle 4-5 1080p transcodes at once. Although i can't vouch for the build as I haven't put it together yet, but that's why i went with the Xeon processor and 32gb of RAM.  If you don't need those horses, you can step down the build to cheaper components to save a few bucks.

omerome

I just wanted to chime in and say that your (OP) build looks very similar to the build I did last year so I am sure you will love it.

I am running Emby, Plex, and a couple of other plugins and the system is running great.

With a Xeon processor you shouldn't be concerned about horsepower and all of that ram (ECC) means your server should remain stable.

Here's my build if you're curious:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell 3.3GHz
Memory: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800)
Storage: 3TB Western Digital Red x 6
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Power Supply: SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W ATX12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS

Edited by omerome
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been following this thread a bit in the past and also stumbled on a nice blog post (http://blog.brianmoses.net/2015/01/diy-nas-2015-edition.html) and ended up settling on the following configuration:

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone DS380B Mini ITX Tower Case  ($155.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Certified SFX Power Supply  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive ($19.00)
Other: ASRock Rack C2750D4I ($390.00)
Total: $1513.88

So far it has been perfect for me. Definitely enjoying having FreeNas and all my applications in one place (was running a small box for my media apps and FreeNas separately before on a single 2TB drive for space). My main concern was space, so I wanted to get a decent case that was as small as possible and could fit a nice set of drives. The motherboard for Micro ITX cases and options seem a bit limited, but from the reviews this board seemed to be fine. I don't plan on having a crazy number of simultaneous people using Emby (maybe 3 worst case at once) so I should be fine as far as I can tell. I will say the IMPI interface on the board was super convenient. I was able to mount my ISO directly from the IP-KVM function which was neat.

• Like 1

Just like to say it's not recommended to do RAID Z1 setups, even though your data may not be "valuable".  If you're gonna build a freenas box, do RAID Z2.  If you read the freenas forums, it is the overwhelming consensus.  Large HDs nowadays, those that are say 3TB+ take a long time to be rebuilt.  During this rebuilding process you have no redundancy whatsoever if you are on RAID Z1.  Couple the fact that a RAID rebuild is taxing on the system, you are really playing with fire leaving your system vulnerable during that time.  Another drive sh!ts the bed and you lost your entire pool.  All your data is gone.

Let's just put it this way, zfs/freenas was not built to be "flexible".  It was built to be robust.  So do not design your system around flexibility, ie, more storage at expense of robustness.  Design your system the way zfs was intended to be used.  Use ECC memory, and RAID Z2 at a minimum.  If you want a "flexible" nas solution, check out flexraid or the bevy of other software-based RAID packages.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been following this thread a bit in the past and also stumbled on a nice blog post (http://blog.brianmoses.net/2015/01/diy-nas-2015-edition.html) and ended up settling on the following configuration:

The thing to be wary with that guy's blog (I ran over it as well as I was determining my build) is that he does non ECC RAM which is a major no-no.  I know you put ECC RAM in your build but just warning others who read his blog that it is a significant risk to use non ecc.

Also, just curious, why did you end up two different types of HDs for your storage?  Again, just curious.

josh4trunks

The thing to be wary with that guy's blog (I ran over it as well as I was determining my build) is that he does non ECC RAM which is a major no-no. I know you put ECC RAM in your build but just warning others who read his blog that it is a significant risk to use non ecc.

Also, just curious, why did you end up two different types of HDs for your storage? Again, just curious.

I disagree that it is significant. you won't lose you're zpool over non-ECC RAM causing corruption. It could potentially make a video file corrupted, but if it's that important of a file you should have a backup and not rely on just zfs+redundancy at a single system.

this is coming from someone who does use ECC on my critical systems. but I do have non-ECC zfs systems in production as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Final build, fully up and running with FreeNAS 9.3.1.  Got Emby and all the rest (sonarr, sabnzbd, etc) moved over to FreeNAS as well and everything is working like a charm!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $297.45)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $232.12)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $114.85)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $114.85)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $106.99)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $106.99)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $92.58)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $74.89)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-120 40.6 CFM 120mm  Fan X 3  (Purchased For $40.50)
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS  (Purchased For $145.00)
Total: $1968.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 09:34 EST-0500

• 4 weeks later...
bmcclure937

Great thread here! Did you follow a guide on installing Emby on your FreeNAS? I cannot find a guide at this time.

My build is using an Intel Core i3 CPU rather than a Xeon, so I am hoping to have good enough performance with Emby Media Server.

sluggo45

The guide for FreeNAS is, install the plugin, add your storage locations to the jail the plugin install auto-creates, and then configure Emby server like normal :) You don't really want to mess with port installs or anything with Emby on FreeNAS, there's no real advantage as the PBI is usually pretty up to date. You can also manually update the pbi install using the Emby.mono.zip release if you get tired of waiting for an update. For example, the pbi is at 5785 but I am running on 5818 right now. 

• 2 years later...