Network Security Help Please

Steve V.

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to configure the Emby server running on my PC to allow only specific users to access it and serve media.  I can't seem to find any settings or config to do this.

For example, if someone (a guest) logs into our home network via our wireless router, I don't want them to see the Emby server on our network or if they see it, not be able to access any of the media.  Currently they can, even if they don't have a login for the network or the PC that has the Emby server running on it.

I find that a little strange for default behavior.  I have private pictures and videos and I don't want business guests that come to our home for meetings to be able to see the server.

Thanks.

Hi, welcome. 

For starters, under DLNA, you will probably want to disable the Dlna server. This will prevent Emby Server from presenting content to other Dlna devices on the network.

In addition, if you would like to lock down Emby apps, there are multiple ways you could accomplish this. The easiest way is just to make sure every user on your server has a password. If that's too inconvenient, you can also enable the option to hide users from login screens. This will at least require the person attempting to login to Emby to know the username, because they'll have to enter it manually. To play with these options, open the server's web interface, then click on a user.

If that's not good enough, you can also select the specific devices your Emby users are allowed to use. To do this, open the server's web interface, click on a user, then select the Access tab. Please note this method is effective but a little inconvenient. Anytime your users attempt to use a new device, it will be rejected until you manually approve it.

I know you're probably thinking that many of these should be enable by default, and I understand that. But for every one like you who feels that way there's 100 people who won't understand why things don't just work out of the box, so that is why they're on to begin with.

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to configure the Emby server running on my PC to allow only specific users to access it and serve media.  I can't seem to find any settings or config to do this.

For example, if someone (a guest) logs into our home network via our wireless router, I don't want them to see the Emby server on our network or if they see it, not be able to access any of the media.  Currently they can, even if they don't have a login for the network or the PC that has the Emby server running on it.

I find that a little strange for default behavior.  I have private pictures and videos and I don't want business guests that come to our home for meetings to be able to see the server.

Thanks.

If you are concerned about guests that use your wifi seeing things on your network, you should instead consider setting up a guest network and vlan and having people use that instead. 

• Like 2

Great ideas and I will try some of them.

Luke you read my mind.  Why isn't the default behavior to only allow specific users access or at least have a simple user interface that allows specific users or all users?  This seems like good design to me.  Instead it appears it's a bit of a pain to do this since by default the server is open to the world so to speak.

So being very specific, my situation should be a simple one just to clarify.

There are really only two of us that ever need access to the server and the media it serves.  We access media from our internal network devices (PCs, Roku, etc) and from our Android phones.  That's it.

We have 6 business guests that sometimes get on our network via WiFi and those are the people I don't want to have access.  They get on with a variety of logins and laptops and I don't want to keep track of those logins and machines to create some type of "exclusions" lists and I shouldn't have to IMO.

These people already can't see any other assets on our network except one network printer, compliments of Windows 7 folder and files security settings which is why I don't want to bother with some other network blocking solution like Scott suggested just to keep them blocked from Emby.

In fairness, most devices with dlna features enable it by default. If I open my computer in windows I can see content from many other of my network devices - some computers, xbox, tv tuner, and on and on. I never enabled those, they were just there. These are home products targeting home users that's why in-network is considered safe by default. So Emby is not unique here. The good news is this thread has given several possible solutions to achieve what you want to accomplish.