Confused about artwork changing background fanart

cw-kid

Hi

I wanted to change the background fanart image for a particular TV Show, so using the Emby metadata manager I just deleted the first background image that was in the list, this is the one I didn't want. I then thought it would just show in Kodi the next background image as there were several different ones visible in the metadata manager. 

In Kodi however after the incremental sync the background image is still showing the one I removed from the metadata manager. 

I then tried to use Kodi's inbuilt artwork function and also the Artwork Downloader add-on to change it but this doesn't work either. My Kodi skin is dependent on the Artwork Downloader add-on still being installed. But it seems you can no longer use it when integrated with Emby? 

I tried to download a fanart with the Artwork Downloader add-on and it errors and says download error. 

10:33:51 T:6088   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating plugin://plugin.video.emby/tvshows/aa71ec5e3d361d5cfb880034984c2329
10:33:51 T:6088 WARNING: Artwork Downloader: Could not create directory, skipping: 'plugin://plugin.video.emby/tvshows/aa71ec5e3d361d5cfb880034984c2329'
10:35:08 T:6596  NOTICE: EMBY WebSocketThread -> Message: {"MessageType":"SessionEnded","Data":{"SupportedCommands":["ToggleOsd","GoHome","VolumeUp","VolumeDown","Mute","Unmute","ToggleMute","SetVolume","SetAudioStreamIndex","SetSubtitleStreamIndex","Back"],"QueueableMediaTypes":[],"PlayableMediaTypes":["Audio","Video"],"Id":"a110fe783b9abab1f894dd63219e774a","UserId":"9f71a703f1e34ea1b496def85fac38d3","UserPrimaryImageTag":"9a9a06499296bc5e502668f5d2235167","UserName":"Kodi","AdditionalUsers":[],"ApplicationVersion":"3.4.3.352","Client":"Emby RT","LastActivityDate":"2015-09-10T09:35:04.1815515Z","DeviceName":"Laptop01","DeviceId":"AwCmRAgAHuMFACpTBgABAAQA6hMEANQnBAAWKAQAMqkEAOrJAQCswQIAFKUJAO4g","AppIconUrl":"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.WindowsRT/master/Resources/DashboardIcon.png","SupportsRemoteControl":false,"PlayState":{"CanSeek":false,"IsPaused":false,"IsMuted":false,"RepeatMode":"RepeatNone"}}}
10:35:45 T:6596  NOTICE: EMBY WebSocketThread -> Message: {"MessageType":"ScheduledTaskEnded","Data":{"StartTimeUtc":"2015-09-10T09:35:41.1830911Z","EndTimeUtc":"2015-09-10T09:35:41.1830911Z","Status":"Completed","Name":"Convert media","Key":"SyncPrepare","Id":"12e0945fba4d49b1f482115adb46c341"}}
10:36:26 T:6088  NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: script stopped

Thanks

im85288

I could be wrong but you may need to delete your local textures database to force a refresh.

As for your problem with ArtworkDownloader, that is one of the consequences of not using the "Direct Paths" option (along with things like not being able to retrieve tv tunes etc)

OK thanks, I am currently trying a manual sync via the Emby add-on see what that does and if it changes the background artwork for this show?

im85288

No I doubt that will work, the artwork is cached in the textures database automatically by kodi. If you delete it (from userdata/databases) it forces the artwork to be refreshed.

No I doubt that will work, the artwork is cached in the textures database automatically by kodi. If you delete it (from userdata/databases) it forces the artwork to be refreshed.

Seems a bit drastic to change just one background image, maybe I can live with it LOL. 

It normally works OK for posters I think, if I change a poster in the Emby metadata manager then eventually that new poster just appears in Kodi for that title etc. But didn't seem to happen the same for this fanart image. 

im85288

Possibly, I think @@Angelblue05 - did some changes that made this not necessary but the way I describe is how it was done historically. It's not really a big deal as the textures database will just re fill itself.

The manual sync finished and that background fanart image for that particular TV Show has not changed and is still the one I didn't want, so Kodi has cached it as you said. 

As a test / double check, I just changed a TV Shows poster in the Emby metadata manager to a different one. I didn't even need to relaunch Kodi the incremental sync just kicked in and the poster has changed to the new one right away. So it does work fine for posters but seemingly not for background fanart images.

Thanks

Angelblue05

Background artwork works differently from every other artwork. If you do the cache images to Kodi by launching our addon, it will update your backgroud artwork without needing to manually delete the texture database. It takes a bit so I suggest you change all your backdrops in Emby first, then use the script marcelveldt added.

I have in the past, tried to make it change instantly, however it would cause the database to lock up sometimes. Maybe someday I'll revisit the idea, but for now this is what you can do.

Kodi does this by default, you can't change cached backdrop even with a default Kodi setup without our addon. You need to delete the textures13.db file or use thumbail cleaner tool to make backdrops update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still confused sorry.

So in the Emby add-on the option "Auto add images to the Kodi texture cache" is already turned on and enabled. 

But you are saying we need to open the Emby add-on and run the "Cache all images to the Kodi texture cache (advanced) option manually? 

Or what I think you mean is because that setting is enabled in the add-on settings, the fanart image at some point will automatically change / be  updated for this TV Show. 

Thanks

Angelblue05

The add-on option to automatically cache artwork should remain enabled. This affects all your artwork and forces them to show up instantly. However backdrops work differently.

What I'm saying is Kodi doesn't accept changing the backdrop unless the backdrop entry for the content is actually deleted from the database first (like deleting textures13.db). I have done it in the past where it would delete said entry, however it caused the problem where the database would lock up sometimes.

Now when you launch the cache all images to Kodi via our add-on it will clean up your artwork database (delete your artwork entries) and force recache the new artwork and you'll see the new backdrops appear. However the process can take a bit, so it's better if you can run it only once. That's why I suggest you do all your backdrop changes in Emby first, then run the cache all images one time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

OK many thanks and understood. 

So we need to make any changes to backdrop fanart images in the Emby metadata manager first and then manually run the  "Cache all images to the Kodi texture cache (advanced)" option in the Emby add-on to have it updated. 

Cheers

• Like 1