People images not showing

catch42

As others have reported, most of my actor images do not display.  It seems that the recommended fix is to perform a manual refresh of items, or entire media folders, to search for missing images.  This method hasn't worked for me.  However, I have just noticed that if I click to edit an actor, then select the browse images tab, but without actually searching for images, their image appears and now displays correctly throughout my library.  It seems as if the link between actor and image is broken, and by the process of simply browsing the edit mode, the link is repaired.  Which is great except I'm not sure how to correct this for my entire library.  Any thoughts?

Other possibly pertinent background is that I first noticed the problem about 2 months ago after a clean install, after which I restored my Emby data from backup. 

kyrios2021

I am also currently having the exact same issue. 90 percent of the pictures for cast and crew do not show up. Just like the above user manually clicking edit on each individual actor will populate the picture. A folder sync does not work.

I've also recently reinstalled emby to a new server.

• 3 months later...
DingDong

I am also currently having the exact same issue. 90 percent of the pictures for cast and crew do not show up. Just like the above user manually clicking edit on each individual actor will populate the picture. A folder sync does not work.

I've also recently reinstalled emby to a new server.

I also have the same issue...new install of emby on newly built server

rickster53

Same issue here. I reported it yesterday, Common thread of most of those who posted here is that we've done clean installs. Could just be coincidence though.

Same here, i had the same problem as others but after the last update, i seem to have no cast info at all, for all movies. I have checked and i find that all Movie.xml and .nfo files still have all the cast info in them but i no longer have and cast info displayed for any movies.

Not sure when this stopped working , i know it was working with some missing cast members but it seem after the the last few updates it nolonger finds any cast members.

• 2 weeks later...
rickster53

In another post regarding this issue, Luke said you have to be patient and they will populate.  Well, I have been patient and have even tried a second clean reinstall of Emby.  In my case I'm seeing actual images  added at the rate of about 10 per day.  Given the number of People folders I have (each with an xml file) is 15,000+, I might get mine populated in about 4-5 years.  :unsure:

better to watch the UI and not the folders. maybe that was the issue all along. we are just saving the image url and downloading on demand when needed by the UI.

Unfortunately it isn't.

I had the same problem and the only solution I've found was to create a script for refreshing each person individually via the api. After letting it run for a couple of hours, the images showed up in the ui.

The problem is the lack of throttling when requesting info from tmdb. If only a few new people need to be looked up (pe after adding a single movie) there's no issue with the 'refresh people' task. The new people are nicely added and images show up in the gui. But once a couple of new movies are added and the 'refresh people' task is run, errors start to show up after a couple of seconds. Adding some 'load' to the server while running the 'refresh people' script runs also helps, because the request rate to tmdb will be low enough.

Best regards, Chris.

rickster53

better to watch the UI and not the folders. maybe that was the issue all along. we are just saving the image url and downloading on demand when needed by the UI.

I honestly don't believe that's the problem, because I do poke around in the movie library to see if any people images show up and I am not seeing people getting displayed in the UI on demand as I open movies...  I'd like to reiterate that in my case, this problem started after I did a clean reinstall and started adding library folders, which represents a bulk addition of movies/people at one time, somewhat consistent with the theory just proposed by OnSlow.  Ie. The log fills with errors that I and others have previously reported and provided.

Edited by rickster53

rickster53

So I poked around again in my movie library some more, and I did see a couple of movies where some people get displayed when I opened up a movie.  Of the 6 primary slots for people, I would see 1 maybe 2 at most get populated with images.  If I open "More" people, again I might see 1 image for what my be 40-50 people listed.  But sometimes none would display and its not a case of an obscure person who doesn't have an image.  I'm talking about top tier actors and actresses who I know have images in the movie db...  Is there anything else I can provide?

rickster53

Here's some more information regarding the downloading of people images that might be helpful....  I decided to install Emby Theater.  If I click on CAST for a movie in Emby Theater, all the people images download immediately.   I tried several movies using Emby Theater and they all populated people images immediately, and the corresponding .jpg images all showed up in the People folder as well.  This does NOT happen using the web client. 

Happy2Play

Here's some more information regarding the downloading of people images that might be helpful....  I decided to install Emby Theater.  If I click on CAST for a movie in Emby Theater, all the people images download immediately.   I tried several movies using Emby Theater and they all populated people images immediately, and the corresponding .jpg images all showed up in the People folder as well.  This does NOT happen using the web client. 

They both get the information from the same place on your server, your People folder.  So I would think there is something wrong or a setting in your web client causing issues.  If another client Theater displays them fine.

rickster53

They both get the information from the same place on your server, your People folder.  So I would think there is something wrong or a setting in your web client causing issues.  If another client Theater displays them fine.

Yes, I assumed they both get the images from the People folder, but the difference is that Emby Theater downloads and puts them there if they didn't exist.  The web client doesn't.  The only setting for People that I am aware of is under Metadata/Advanced in the Emby Configurator.  But that only lets you select what People you want (Actors, Producers, Directors, etc)

EDIT: and only a handful of people are getting downloaded on a daily basis (5-10) via the Scheduled People Task...

Edited by rickster53

Happy2Play

I could be wrong but no client downloads information, that I am aware of. It all comes from the server.

rickster53

I could be wrong but no client downloads information, that I am aware of. It all comes from the server.

Yes, I assume the server is the only one doing the actual downloading of images.  Regardless I am tying to point out 2 issues:

1) If I'm in Emby Theater and viewing the CAST of a movie, and if any CAST members do not have images, ALL the missing images get downloaded, placed in the People folder and displayed immediately in Emby Theater.  If I'm in the web client and viewing the CAST of a movie, and if any CAST members do not have images, maybe 1 gets downloaded, that 1 does get placed in the People folder and that 1 does get displayed immediately in the web client.  Sometimes none of the missing images are downloaded and displayed via the web client and these are for actors whose images exist in the movie db.  I know that because if I access that same movie via Emby Theater, it immediately displays the same ones the web client didn't.  Hence, there appears to be something wrong with the web client in that it is not telling the server to get ALL the missing People images.

2) The scheduled task to download People only downloads a handful of random images on a daily basis.

I hope this makes it clearer now.  Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

I just had a quick look on my People floder and I think my issue is quite the same as rickster53.

First, I would like to precise that my Emby server is installed on an Ubuntu 12.04 OS. I switched from a Mysql Kodi database to Emby last week. This means that my EMby libraries are pretty new.

1) Almost no people pictures are displayed in the UI. If I have a look on one of the few people folder who actually have a picture, I can see ONLY the picture is stored in it. There is no XML file. If I have a look on any other actor, they only have an XML file which only contains the IMDB tag (I don't know if it's normal)

2) If I identify an actor manually into the UI, then it will populate the people folder with both a picture and an XML file. Then the actor will be displayed properly into the UI.

So, it seems that my issue is that the actors are not automatically identified. Only their folder with a very basic XML file are generated by Emby server. This might also explain why rickster53's Emby Theater collect those missing data when it "sees" that they are missing.

Hi,

I also have this problem.   As for me I don't think It's a IMDB problem.  I use Kodi for a long time and It show "people" with no problem...  I also use "Tiny Media Manager"  for editing my metadata and I have no problem downloading 1000's of Actors photos. 

Like many I made a clean install of the sever.   Most "People" photos are missing.  But one thing that catch my attention is that when I add a new movie to my database,  all the "People" that were already in my database (in other movies)  there picture are missing.  but new "People" that where not in the database there picture will show up.  

Maybe wile the problem is identify correctly,  a scrip could be add to refresh all the "People" in a particular movie.  a edit menu could be add near the "Cast & Crew"  field...???  This way a user could refresh only the "People" of a particular movie.  It's not a perfect solution but,  it could solve the "People" not showing in small to moderate movie collection. 

Zoula

Happy2Play

Did the update in the stable and beta, make any difference?

-Update Tmdb throttling

rickster53

Did the update in the stable and beta, make any difference?

-Update Tmdb throttling

Updated to the Beta 3.0.5802, manually ran the People Refresh task and it didn't add a single people image, but it generated a huge log of errors going to themoviedb.  Same as before...   Shortly after that completed I did a Restart of Emby to start a clean log and noticed that there's a theMoviedb error message that's generated during the Restart.  So before I did anything with Emby, that attempt to contact theMoviedb errored out...

server-63587706231.txt

Happy2Play

Updated to the Beta 3.0.5802, manually ran the People Refresh task and it didn't add a single people image, but it generated a huge log of errors going to themoviedb.  Same as before...   Shortly after that completed I did a Restart of Emby to start a clean log and noticed that there's a theMoviedb error message that's generated during the Restart.  So before I did anything with Emby, that attempt to contact theMoviedb errored out...

Your error points the The Green Mile being misidentified looks like wrong IMDB id and same with same with 15 Minutes, imdb redirects but wrong id also.  So you need to update the IMDB IDs they may have changed somewhere and they are not the same on TMDB so you get the error.

As for People error it appear to take longer but we still get "due to a previous timeout." eventually.

rickster53

Thanks for clarifying the IMDB Id issues for me.  But I'm nor sure where this leaves me with the 2 People image issues I described previously?  Sounds like we are back to square one...

Steven

I have also not been getting people images and info showing until I click on the actor and hit refresh.

Looking at my ImagesByName folder I can see I have actors all over the place. I have had this folder for along time so assume along the way the structure has changed? This folder is at least 5 years old now and carried over from MB2.

As an example, the first one I looked at was Aaron Eckhart. Searching the folder returned this:

568e91a69da85_folder.jpg

Each one contains a folder.jpg and apart from the one in the root the other 2 contain a person.xml

568e91fc5f78a_folder2.jpg

Searching in the server returns this:

568e921926d37_mbpeople.jpg

The one on the left is this:

568e9243f17ca_mbpeople3.jpg

568e9251c8160_mbpeople31.jpg

The second one is:

568e926796f72_mbpeople2.jpg

568e927d30cb3_mbpeople21.jpg

So obviously having multiple instance of the same person isn't helping - however it has been caused.

Do I need to delete everything from the root of ImagesByName and ImagesByName/People so it is set as described in the wiki?

Inside this folder will be several sub-folders, including:

• Artist
  • Genre
  • MusicGenre
  • GameGenre
  • People
  • Studio
  • Year
  • General
  • MediaInfo