Hardware configuration for transcoding

loscar

Dear all,

I have a project to setup a dedicated emby server, for streaming 1080p videos, to devices live a TV, an iPad or a laptop (no transcoding for the laptop).

I looking specifically for a compact and quiet (fanless if possible) hardware configuration.

I'm wondering about the Intel NUC. Does it provide enough power to perform 1080p video transcoding, assuming that I'll transcode no more than 1 video at a time ? Which configuration allows to transcode without lagging ? What CPU version (i5/i7) and/or the GPU (Intel HD 5000 / Iris 6100) are enough ?

Does anybody have such an experience with NUC as emby servers ? 

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Carlos

Koleckai Silvestri

Transcoding doesn't use the GPU at all as far as I am aware. It would be a lot more efficient if it could. AS long as you're NUC doesn't overheat, you can use an i5 of i7. An i7 will give you more threads with hyperthreading. You can limit transcoding by configuring your media to match the requirements of your devices. For me, that is h.264 video with a stereo audio track as the primary audio stream. I use MKV containers but MP4 containers are accepted by more devices. You can also use a tool like Handbrake to lower the bitrate of the video while trying to maintain higher quality. 

JeremyFr79

There is a way to use Intel Qucksync on newer Intel CPU's with integrated graphics to do transcoding work.  I believe you have to use a custom build of ffmpeg that another member here developed though.  If I remember from reading the post's about it, it worked fairly well.

I'm running an AMD A6-5400K (Trinity Core) and have no problems transcoding to whatever.  That computer runs windows 10 and has 2 main programs running: Emby & NextPVR.