MB for Android

all4dom

Redshirt

if you can connect over lan, it means the firewall rules on the PC itself are fine.

all4dom

I'm wondering if it is something with my router? I have a Linksys e3000 series router and once I enable a port to be forwarded and click save, there is no screen or tab that shows me all ports that are forward. My best guess is it's something with the router, but then again I have no clue with this stuff.

all4dom

If your talking about your post with a link to a similar problem with someone else, then yes I have read it. I'm not understanding the setup for 2 connections, but if I were to reset my router to factory defaults, would that make a difference or even uninstall and reinstall the mb server? I know nothing about routers, but I will google some more info on my brand with how to see what is port forwarded since mine does not show me the ports that are. I have work tomorrow, so I will be able to read up and try and get this working on Sunday. Thanks red.

Redshirt

Looking at this guide, you should have two port rules for MB3, with the following info.

MB3                     |  8096  |  8096  |  TCP  |  your mb3 server ip  |  enabled

MB3 Websockets |  8945  |  8945  |  TCP  |  your mb3 server ip  |  enabled

all4dom

Hi red, setup port forwarding and still no luck. I do believe I setup everything correctly and during one of my tries, I did get a screen with content and it asked me for a correct password. Once I shut down and started android MB, no luck, back to the original setup screen.

all4dom

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Application Version: 1.0.2 (191113) , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Device: SM-N900V , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Screen Width: 1080 , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Screen Height: 1920 , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Total Memory Available: 1250 MB , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Max Memory usable per Application: 128 MB , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:54 EST 2013] , Info , Application object initialized , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Logger Started , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Initializing FileUtils helper class , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Loading server list from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Trying to load last connected server from file system , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Loading last connected server from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Loading server list from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , ServerSelectionFragment: onCreateView , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , Initialize FileUtils helper class , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:12:55 EST 2013] , Info , ServerSelectionFragment: populateServerList , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:13:02 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:13:02 EST 2013] , Info , Could not connect to library , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:13:06 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:13:06 EST 2013] , Info , Could not connect to library , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:14:06 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:14:06 EST 2013] , Info , Could not connect to library , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:14:07 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:14:07 EST 2013] , Info , Could not connect to library , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Logger Started , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Initializing FileUtils helper class , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Loading server list from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Trying to load last connected server from file system , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Loading last connected server from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Loading server list from app directory , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , ServerSelectionFragment: onCreateView , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , Initialize FileUtils helper class , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:34 EST 2013] , Info , ServerSelectionFragment: populateServerList , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:16:53 EST 2013] , Info , Saving server list , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:17:06 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:17:06 EST 2013] , Info , Could not connect to library , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:17:07 EST 2013] , Info , ServerInfo callback , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:17:07 EST 2013] , Error , Uncaught Exception , 1 , main

[Mon Dec 02 21:17:07 EST 2013] , Error , Stack Trace: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at android.widget.Toast.<init>(Toast.java:105)
 at android.widget.Toast.makeText(Toast.java:261)
 at com.mb.android.views.Main.ServerSelectionFragment$ServerInfoCallback.Execute(ServerSelectionFragment.java:249)
 at com.mb.api.asyncrequests.AsyncRequest.onPostExecute(AsyncRequest.java:93)
 at com.mb.api.asyncrequests.AsyncRequest.onPostExecute(AsyncRequest.java:18)
 at android.os.AsyncTask.finish(AsyncTask.java:631)
 at android.os.AsyncTask.access$600(AsyncTask.java:177)
 at android.os.AsyncTask$InternalHandler.handleMessage(AsyncTask.java:644)
 at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
 at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
 at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5414)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:525)
 at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1187)
 at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1003)
 at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
 , 1 , main

swhitmore

I'd advise setting a password for your user if you're exposing yourself to the internet. Can you take a screenshot of your router settings page? Double check that you are forwarding to the IP address of the server (not the router). Also check that the firewall settings allow for an external connection.

Finally, do you have a static or dynamic IP address? If you have a dynamic one (most people do), you will want to use a dns service like dyndns or no-ip. This will allow you to use a hostname to access your home network from the internet, rather than using your IP addess. Your router should have settings to configure a DNS service.

http://portforward.com/ has some good information about different router setups too.

Edited by swhitmore

Redshirt

You should confirm that you can connect to the library using the devices web browser over cellular. Just navigate to

http://your.external.ip.address:8096/mediabrowser
Edited by Redshirt
  • Like 1

all4dom

I noticed after rebooting yesterday, I lost the internet connection and MB did not have all my media listed, so I think I may have setup the static ip the wrong way. What Im going to do is take of thursday (i work day and nights today & tomorrow) so i have the whole day to figure this out & no one will be home (kids). I/m not sure if I entered the correct ip address because the address on the pc and what MB classic (to find the server automatically) has listed are different. Other thing is I forwarded the ports and then tried to setup a static Ip and i think i read somewhere I need to setup a static Ip and then port forwarded. @ Scott, if i correctly configure a static Ip and port forward, do I still need to try one of the services you mentioned or would the setup work without them. If I can't get this to work, then my thinking is to pay the 14.95 for Ip and use them if it eliminates the hassels. I was not getting the server over cellular also yesterday, so I knew I did something wrong. @ Mark, you created a beautifull app and sooner or later I will get it to work over cellular and thabnk you for making it. 

PS....My router lets me configure the port, but does not list it and I am afraid to download any software to test it becasue I dont trust what was available. I may also do a factory reset onb the router to play it safe when i do this again.

Thanks to both you.

Dominick

all4dom

One more thing.....I did setup a password on the server yesterday but changed it back when i was having all the issues. As long as I setup a password for MB server, any client I use to log in would require that password and if someone tried to log into it (unauthorized) they would need it......router aslo has a password.....not the default one. I dont think there is anything else I could do for security purposes correct? Other thing is I'm think i should uninstall and reinstall the server (for the correct actors IBN folder structure) before I do this and then kill two birds ith one stone so i dont jhave to worry about tinkering with anything once this gets working.

As always, thanks.

swhitmore

Hey mate. Please have a read of those links I sent you first, as most of your questions are answered there. Your ISP will be providing you with either a static or dynamic IP. I would guess you have a dynamic IP, so you will need to use a DDNS service. I recommend no-ip. Most modern routers will allow you to set a DDNS service on the router. You will need to configure this to use the IP of your media server.

all4dom

I did. I'm not home so that's why I asked the question pertaining to no ip. The other stuff I'll just work on and see where I wind up b4 trying out no ip if that's the route I have to go. I'm just wondering if I should unintelligible & reinstall the server first to correct the in actors image folder first. Figured if I take off that gives me a whole day to tackle everything. Thanks scott.

swhitmore

No worries. I'm happy to assist if you get stuck, as long as your trying to figure it out first :P I get clients calling me all day expecting free help, they get a big shock when I tell them my rates ;)

No-ip is a free service too. Very easy to setup.

Edited by swhitmore

all4dom

Thanks. I would not even mind paying for it if it saved me time and headaches. With my twins, my time is very limited...lol.

Thanks

Dom

all4dom

Hey guys, got a quick question. I still can't get it to work, but I think I am doing it correctly.....I have installed a ceton cable card under network connection, I also have a local area connection and network bridge (which was done by the ceton cable card). When I make the changes in the settings to make the pc static, I click validate and always get an error, but I am making the changings in the network bridge and not ceton or local area connection. My ports are opened and the firewall settings are correct, so my thinking is maybe it has to do with my network bridge, but I can't remove that or my cable card will not work and my wife will hang me if there is no tv. Any suggestions.

52a0d74386bec_Capture.png

gillmacca

I have created an account at No-IP, but not sure what to do after that. Can someone give me a tutorial on how to set it up for android

Edited by gillmacca