Wake to record?

91esprit

91esprit

Is my pc supposed to automatically wake up from sleep to do a scheduled TV recording like WMC does?

Mine is not doing that.

Server Version 3.0.5724.3

Windows 10

• 1 month later...
91esprit

Did this get fixed?

My install isn't waking up to record.

Do I need to install as a service?

Version 3.0.5768.6

Nathanio

I was just about to ask the same thing as I missed some recordings overnight. I'll keep my server awake for the time being. 

• 2 months later...

Luke, have you ever got around to fixing this? I just tested and my Windows server didn't wake for a recording. Could be a bug with my system though. On current dev. Thanks!

This is available on the dev and beta branches for testing, but supported only on Windows for right now.

Updated, tried one last night and no wake. There was another update this morning, so I updated and tried again. Same, no wake. Running current dev on Windows 7. Server is running as app. Does it need to be running as a service for some reason?

it's only for new recordings going forward, not existing ones.

These were new recordings, not previously scheduled. Basically, I waited until 10 minutes before the hour or half hour, opened the guide in emby (chrome), picked a show that was starting in 10 minutes, scheduled the recording (not a series), double-checked that it scheduled, the manually put the server to sleep. Neither time I tried did it wake the computer. I visually checked the computer to make sure that it wasn't waking properly and just failing to record.

Edited by nsmal24

Just thought i'd add my 2 cents worth.

I have done exactly as nsmal24 has done 3 or 4 times, and every time the PC has woken up and recorded the program perfectly.

I'm running Windows 10, and my power setting is - Balanced, and goes to sleep after 30 minutes.

Emby version - 3.0.5844.0

​I'm using NPVR as my back end between my 3 tuners and Emby.

I'm not sure if that helps but any information shared may be of assistance.

PS. I just noticed that my recordings are missing about a minute from the start as I have my pre-padding set to 0. I will change it to 1 minute and do more testing and report back.

Edited by rikiwi

This only applies to the built-in live tv service. If you're using an alternative back-end like nextpvr, it takes over responsibility of managing your recordings.

This only applies to the built-in live tv service. If you're using an alternative back-end like nextpvr, it takes over responsibility of managing your recordings.

I am using the built-in live tv service.  I have switched a couple of times back and forth from built-in and ServerWMC.  WMC has always been able to wake the machine to record.  I'm trying some things (updating drivers, bios, etc.).  I may just upgrade to 10, but that's a project for another day.

What level of "sleep" does your machine go to when you tell it to sleep?

S3.  Hibernate is disabled (powercfg /h off).  I just updated the server to Win 10 Pro this morning.  I will report back as to if it makes a difference.  For anyone else having problems or trying to troubleshoot, CPU is i7 4790S, Mobo Asrock Z79 Killer, Onboard graphics, Avago/LSI 9361-8i RAID controller.

Edited by nsmal24

powercfg /waketimers reveals   "Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Users\smalley\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe expires at 7:53:00 PM on 2/4/2016" which tells me that it can indeed set a wake time (in this case, waking the computer 5 minutes (plus 2 min buffer) before Big Bang Theory starts). I canceled a series and rescheduled it but that did not add wake timer for the newly scheduled episodes and neither does manually scheduling a single recording from the web client guide.

Ok, I think the answer might be that it requires elevation, and if that's true that pretty much kills this feature because nobody's going to want to do that.

In order to test, you can find the server executable and run it as admin. Then create a new recording.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that's the problem actually.  Since Emby was already running elevated, I figured I would go ahead and reschedule some shows.  I set up a show for Tuesday night at 8pm and the wake timer showed up for 7:53 PM.  I then scheduled one for a couple of hours from now and nothing changed.  The wake timer still showed Tuesday at 8.  I'm not sure if it is supposed to show more than one at a time, but either way, it definitely was not showing the timer that will expire the soonest.

Also, it did schedule the Big Bang Theory for later this week or next before it was running elevated.  I think it's behaving the same as it did before.  I couldn't tell you what caused the BBT wake timer to be replaced though.

I set it for 5 minutes prior to starting the recording, including padding. I did find other documentation about the windows api call that we're using requiring elevation, so based on that I can't really commit to spending much time on this because nobody is really going to want to run the server that way.

I set it for 5 minutes prior to starting the recording, including padding. I did find other documentation about the windows api call that we're using requiring elevation, so based on that I can't really commit to spending much time on this because nobody is really going to want to run the server that way.

No problem.  Thanks for working on it.  I'll dig up a way to keep it awake during prime time TV hours (scheduled tasks, 3rd party app, etc.).

• 6 months later...
inzombyac

Ok, I think the answer might be that it requires elevation, and if that's true that pretty much kills this feature because nobody's going to want to do that.

In order to test, you can find the server executable and run it as admin. Then create a new recording.

What's the current state of recordings and wake? I tried this out the other day and did not see any wake timers. If it requires the server process to run with elevated permissions I'm ok with this.