Are Taglines Read from movie.xml?

Pais

I have been trying to get all my taglines in order to take advantage of the recent display change for the server without any luck. It seems that if I add it via the web client it is written to the movie.xml file. However, if I edit the value in the movie.xml file then upon refreshing the movie in the web client the Tagline field is blanked.

Does anyone know if this is supported for xml files?

No, we should still read the xml fine.

Why are you trying to edit the xml directly since the metadata manager works?

My movie.xml files come from a third party program and they already contain the Taglines in the movie.xml format written by Emby via the web client. I identified that they weren't being read while trying to get all the existing metadata to load. I hadn't realized that the data wasn't being read until the blog post highlighting the new display of taglines.

Emby writes in this format:

<Taglines>
    <Tagline>Test.</Tagline>
  </Taglines>

Here's a sample from one of my movie.xml files that's not read:

<Taglines>
    <Tagline>A simple man. A difficult choice.</Tagline>
  </Taglines>

it is probably just a timing issue between making the change and then refreshing. try just editing your file, and then doing nothing in Emby and letting it discover the change on it's own through the normal library scan.

I can confirm having the same problem. Emby is not reading the tagline from my movie.xml files, even worst Ebmy is removing them.

• Like 1

Tested with all metadata settings in the server dashboard set to default. No problem found.

Aren't the default settings now nfo instead of xml files? As a reminder the whole purpose of this thread is that there is an issue with xml files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any chance of getting another look at these issues given the attention taglines have been given in the new Emby Theater? A summary of the issues follows:

• Emby deletes Tagline added in the web interface and saved to XML when performing a Refresh
  • Emby XML reader does not import the Tagline fields when populated by third party metadata programs
  • Like 1

The deleting is by design when doing a refresh. it will get replaced by internet metadata. there is currently no way to lock the tagline field.

• 1 month later...
MndWrp

sorry to revive an old post but maybe deleting them by design isn't such a good idea ? I mean, fine get them initially from metadata sources, like the rest, but i'd love to be able to edit them, lock and save if the line is too long or simply missing...

It has to be that way, say for example something gets misidentified so you change the tmdb id and then refresh. you don't want data from the previous movie left in there. It's just like any other data. We don't currently have a tagline lock but it's a reasonable suggestion.

Anyway to answer the original question of this thread: yes, taglines are read from movie.xml.

Happy2Play

Anyway to answer the original question of this thread: yes, taglines are read from movie.xml.

Only movie.xml created by Emby.

MndWrp

My problem is that once the movie is identified correctly and the tagline is missing, i find one i like and add it manually and it goes away at the next refresh.

So locking this field as well is a very good idea just for this...

Only movie.xml created by Emby.

That is not true, they are supported in nfo too.

Happy2Play

That is not true, they are supported in nfo too.

In keeping with topic Emby will not read Taglines in movie.xml created by MCM.  If no xml is provided to Emby and the server fetches the metadata then the tagline in the movie.xml created by Emby is read properly.