MediaBrowser Win8.1 Beta SignUp

7illusions

7illusions

Hi folks!

It's getting close, very close, to beta testing for the Win 8.1 app.

What I need is some testers..

If you wan't to participate, drop me a message with the follwing information:

Formfactor that you want to test on (Tablet, Laptop, HTPC etc)

OS (RT/Win8/Win8 Pro)

Touch: Yes/No

MCE Remtote: Yes/No

Device Info( Surface 32 GB etc)

Please note, there's not gonna be a lot of slots for this and I can't guarantee you one, but the faster you apply the bigger the chance.

Also, this will have to be done in a high pace, the Goal for release is before christmas eve..

Edited by 7illusions
  • Like 5

snazy2000

Count me in win 8.1 pro laptop and two win win 8.1 pcs and htpc.

Got mce remote

no touch :(

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

was just going to post the same about tapping a letter!

noticed that artists in music main screen jump to but albums don't (neither of albums or new albums)

7illusions

Some general info.

There's still som slots left, and if anyone got a Nokia Tablet that is SUPER interesting since I wanna test LTE and streaming.

I will send messages to the folks in the beta group when a new version is available. (And when the first one is ready for download)

This app is designed for touch, mouse and keyboard, not MCE Remote, but I've done some stuff to support part of it, but not all functionality.

The place to file bugs and see the current status..

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.WindowsRT/issues?state=open

Installation

For thoose of you that will be running the app on the same machine as the server (localhost access), make sure you read this first, IT WILL NOT WORK OTHERWISE. :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/Hh780593.aspx

If you've never installed a Win8.1 Dev package before,

here's the full HowTo: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/bg126232.aspx

And the short version:

Install instructions:

1. Unzip file

2. Start powershell as admin. (RightClick, run as Admministrator.)

3. Run the script from commandline.

Logos302

I have a Windows 8.1 RT Surface 32Gb (Original) (touch yes, Remote no) and a Windows 8.1 Laptop (No touch and no Remote).  Currently running MBC and MBT on the laptop, but will switch to the App.  

swhitmore

Regarding the letters, try pinch to zoom to access the jump list ;)

Edited by swhitmore

Steven

Not really bug just general UX idea, when browsing my collection its not obvious that's its only displaying 5 items from each letter. When clicking the letter I was expecting a jump list to allow me to quickly get to a specific letter. I think it would be better if it had a button in the sixth image position that said there were more items, and if possible listed how many more items, then when clicking that it showed all items from that letter, see crude mockup below. As I said clicking the letters should bring up a jumplist.

5297bc2d5e32f_Screenshot1.png

Also I have bluray aspect ratios images for my movies and the app forces them to poster aspect ratio so they look stretched.

You can get a few more to display by enabling  "Show more data in gridviews" from the options but that will only show 9. It's been debated about showing all (which I would have liked) but I really like your idea and it also makes a bigger target to hit to enter that letter (when using touch).

If you're using a touch device then it has semantic zoom by squeezing in you can get to a quick A-Z overview, which works really well for zipping around.

Edited by Steven

swhitmore

Don't forget guys, this is mostly designed for use on a touch screen and portable devices. It's not really meant to be a replacement for MBT on your HTPC.

Edited by swhitmore

wraslor

Only playing around with this for a couple of mins but OMG it is beautiful!  Works amazing, very smooth, very well done layout this is a fantastic app!

the app looks cracking BRILLIANT effort so far 

noticed one or two things after playing for a couple of minutes.

keyboard presses don't work (arrow/transport keys)

same goes for pressing a letter to jump to (eg pressing "m" in movies section takes you to movies starting with "m"!!)

there are no skip keys in music player, or at least I couldn't see any.

like I said great start!!

going back for another fiddle!!!

SilentAssassin

Not really bug just general UX idea, when browsing my collection its not obvious that's its only displaying 5 items from each letter. When clicking the letter I was expecting a jump list to allow me to quickly get to a specific letter. I think it would be better if it had a button in the sixth image position that said there were more items, and if possible listed how many more items, then when clicking that it showed all items from that letter, see crude mockup below. As I said clicking the letters should bring up a jumplist.

5297bc2d5e32f_Screenshot1.png

Also I have bluray aspect ratios images for my movies and the app forces them to poster aspect ratio so they look stretched.

• Like 3

gthrift

This looks amazing and is extremely polished for a beta app.  I've only browsed through it and haven't attempted to stream anything yet, but I have a few questions:

1)  Is the app downloading full poster sizes?  It's taking a long time to download the images and I'm not sure if its because they are full resolution or if my parent's internet is just slow.  I browse through the web interface and the pictures show up quickly.

2)  Is it possible to add an option to remove the music link and menu item?  

3)  Is the tile a live tile?

4)  Is there any way to mark items played or unplayed?

Edited by gthrift

swhitmore

This looks amazing and is extremely polished for a beta app.  I've only browsed through it and haven't attempted to stream anything yet, but I have a few questions:

1)  Is the app downloading full poster sizes?  It's taking a long time to download the images and I'm not sure if its because they are full resolution or if my parent's internet is just slow.  I browse through the web interface and the pictures show up quickly.

2)  Is it possible to add an option to remove the music link and menu item?  

3)  Is the tile a live tile?

4)  Is there any way to mark items played or unplayed?

1) For memory there is an option for downloading the full poster size (or maybe that was something else).

2) I think this was requested in closed beta, and is planned.

3) Sure is! It will flip between the latest movie and latest TV show added.

4) You would be better doing that in the web UI. Clients like this aren't really designed to manage your media.

Edited by swhitmore

Logos302

yeah got it installed.  and so far ( 5 mins of playing) I like.  Playlists hmm how'd that happen  :o. Is this just a WindowsRT app or will it run on Windows 8.1 x86/x64?   :huh:

swhitmore

yeah got it installed.  and so far ( 5 mins of playing) I like.  Playlists hmm how'd that happen  :o. Is this just a WindowsRT app or will it run on Windows 8.1 x86/x64?   :huh:

It's a WinRT app (not to be confused with Windows RT the OS). WinRT apps run on both Windows RT and Windows 8.1 (x86)

Edited by swhitmore