Two questions...

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Version - 3.4.3.352

1) How do I prevent this app from being full screen? I want it in a window on my desktop. There is no reason for it to be fullscreen on a machine with two 27" monitors. Can't even move it to the proper monitor that I want it on. I am using Windows 10 so this should be possible. However the app doesn't present window controls. The biggest problem with fullscreen is the App will minimize if I use a Window on the second monitor which makes it pretty much worthless for its intended purpose.

2) I want the following display but there is no "Settings" section. Yes, this is an administrator user on the server.

For the Win 10 app just go to settings > General > Show more data in grids.

55e82d3969d07_movieWall.png

Might be a little closer to  want you are looking for. Above is all movies. Differences in other views as well.

-Vicpa

I see this:
xRHrf7q.jpg

OQOLnla.png
Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Hi,

There is still a little migration of settings going on. 7illusions can probably say where they will all end up. For now. in win 8.1 they are in  the charms. In Win 10 the are in the burger or "emby burger" drop down.

I am a mouse guy and Win MCE remote. Here is a real basic flow (thought that might help others as well)

If you move the mouse up to the top of the screen and click on the little emby icon. you will get the drop down.

55e860b90a441_setings.png

That will bring out the menu.

55e861b360e04_setting1ab.png

And then under Settings.

55e8622c5938d_setting2a.png

Upper right hand corner with mouse movement up has the Win 10 commands for full screen and resize etc. I am not a dual monitor guy so you are on your own for moving between displays, LOL :)

Also as an fyi depending on how you have your display set, in Win 10, On my big tv I am using 175%. The app will display even more detail. per screen.

55e8633fd1c83_media2.png

The third row and more on home screen etc.

Hope this helps. The settings are a little hard to find. Did a real basic review to help others out as well.

-Vicpa

Deathsquirrel

1- Assuming this is a desktop machine with a mouse, move your mouse cursor to the top of the screen and hold it there a moment until the window controls appear.  You want the one with two diagonal arrows pointing toward one another.

2- With the window controls open as described above, click the little emby logo icon in the upper left corner.  Settings is a menu option there.  The option you're looking for is in the General section.

Koleckai Silvestri

If I click on the Emby icon with my mouse, I get nothing. If I right-click on the icon, I get this black dropdown that gives me choices for Home and Remote.

Koleckai Silvestri

1- Assuming this is a desktop machine with a mouse, move your mouse cursor to the top of the screen and hold it there a moment until the window controls appear.  You want the one with two diagonal arrows pointing toward one another.

2- With the window controls open as described above, click the little emby logo icon in the upper left corner.  Settings is a menu option there.  The option you're looking for is in the General section.

1) Only shows my Windows Taskbar. I've been displaying my taskbar on the top of the screen since 1998 when I switched to Windows from a Mac. A better solution would be to start the app in a window and not full screen the first use. 

2) This is what I see when I right click on the Emby Icon. Left clicking does nothing.

AIGSafU.jpg

Starting to think I wasted $5.00.

Well to each his own. Sorry you are having trouble figuring it out.

The app will remember the last way it was opened. HTPC users kinda like the full screen.

For dual display you might look at. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24554-love-the-app-dual-screen-issue/, Those folks are gaming on one monitor and using the app on another with pretty good success.

Like I said to each his own.

-Vicpa

Koleckai Silvestri

oh well. the app crashed and won't connect to my server even though I have the loopback workaround installed.

(Which the Plex app does on its own without another app.)

OH well... Back to the Web Client.

Koleckai Silvestri

Well to each his own. Sorry you are having trouble figuring it out.

The app will remember the last way it was opened. HTPC users kinda like the full screen.

For dual display you might look at. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24554-love-the-app-dual-screen-issue/, Those folks are gaming on one monitor and using the app on another with pretty good success.

Like I said to each his own.

-Vicpa

Actually got the app resized down into a window. Moved my taskbar. Resized the app down. Moved my taskbar back where it belongs. App Crashed. Restarted and it was full screen again. And the settings menu only shows up when it is not full screen so I am guessing that is a design flaw.

As a modern app it should be deadset easy to use. Not as frustrating as it is. 

Deathsquirrel

1) Only shows my Windows Taskbar. I've been displaying my taskbar on the top of the screen since 1998 when I switched to Windows from a Mac. A better solution would be to start the app in a window and not full screen the first use. 

I just tested and this function won't work with the task bar at the top of the screen.  You'll need to move it to the bottom, resize the app window, and then you can put your task bar back.  The app should remember it's size and position on relaunch.  Most windows apps do.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I just tested and this function won't work with the task bar at the top of the screen.  You'll need to move it to the bottom, resize the app window, and then you can put your task bar back.  The app should remember it's size and position on relaunch.  Most windows apps do.

Yes, I've done that. That is what makes this so frustrating. I expect it to maintain its size and location when relaunched. It is always opening fullscreen on my primary monitor. Even after resizing and closing to make sure any thing is saved where it needs to be.

Deathsquirrel

Yes, I've done that. That is what makes this so frustrating. I expect it to maintain its size and location when relaunched. It is always opening fullscreen on my primary monitor. Even after resizing and closing to make sure any thing is saved where it needs to be.

OK, I see what you're probably running into.  Looks like a bug.

@@7illusions it appears that if you close the app when it is a maximized window it will relaunch full screen.  If you close the app when it's in a window that's smaller than full screen it will remember the size and position of that window and open back in the same place.  Other metro apps I tested didn't have that issue.

I'd guess a pretty small number of people run full screen windowed or it would likely have been reported already.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Hi @@Deathsquirrel

I believe that is by design. I forget who asked for it. Why would you ever want to open the app full screen widowed? If you want task bar and stuff to show just make it a window and you are good to go.

Just my opinion and preference.

-Vicpa

Deathsquirrel

Hi @@Deathsquirrel

I believe that is by design. I forget who asked for it. Why would you ever want to open the app full screen widowed? If you want task bar and stuff to show just make it a window and you are good to go.

Just my opinion and preference.

-Vicpa

Yeah, I can't help you on the why, but that appears to be what the OP is talking about and I was able to reproduce the issue.

Koleckai Silvestri

Because someone might want to watch HD video as large as possible and not have the app minimize when they are using something like Chrome or Word on another monitor. Fullscreen would be nice on a television but not everyone uses televisions as their primary viewing device.

Like you said above, each to their own. Currently this is the only native client that works on Windows 10 and plays content without requiring an external application to do so. Quality is almost as good as Plex.

7illusions

oh well. the app crashed and won't connect to my server even though I have the loopback workaround installed.

(Which the Plex app does on its own without another app.)

OH well... Back to the Web Client.

Really?! All I get the Plex app to do is to show a link to the Loopback tool.

55e93be00d1d5_plex.png

7illusions

I will see what I can do for you, but you have to realize that your usage is a bit of a cornercase, most of our users watch the app on onescreen, and they do prefer fullscreen.

BUT, I think that bringing back the chrome for the app pleases everyone..

Koleckai Silvestri

Really?! All I get the Plex app to do is to show a link to the Loopback tool.

55e93be00d1d5_plex.png

Hmm.. Just installed it the other day and it worked properly. Looking at the loopback tool there was an exception that I didn't add there.

Koleckai Silvestri

I will see what I can do for you, but you have to realize that your usage is a bit of a cornercase, most of our users watch the app on onescreen, and they do prefer fullscreen.

BUT, I think that bringing back the chrome for the app pleases everyone..

+1 for fullscreen , I hope no rollback on this function , it's really important for many of us

Really just asking for it to behave like every other modern app that I've tried. That is it should remember its size and window location. So if it is fullscreen, it launches fullscreen the next time. If it is windowed and maximized that is how it launches. It can even follow the route of Kodi, Plex Home Theater and just about every video game in the world. Launch fullscreen initially but give options to resize in the settings (as long as the settings are always available. 

I don't even think this is an edge or cornercase. Many people, especially Millenials, aren't buying televisions anymore. They are using their computers for multiple uses and just about every non-tablet computer sold today can handle multiple monitors, even laptops,

As far as loopback goes, there is the possibility of building that into the server, although since it requires elevation it will require some user interaction.

• 5 years later...
familybee
On 9/3/2015 at 4:20 PM, Koleckai Silvestri said:

2) This is what I see when I right click on the Emby Icon. Left clicking does nothing.

http://i.imgur.com/AIGSafU.jpg

Starting to think I wasted $5.00.

I can show more of my library on the Xbox version of this app how do I do it?

On 9/3/2015 at 3:28 PM, Koleckai Silvestri said:

Version - 3.4.3.352

1) How do I prevent this app from being full screen? I want it in a window on my desktop. There is no reason for it to be fullscreen on a machine with two 27" monitors. Can't even move it to the proper monitor that I want it on. I am using Windows 10 so this should be possible. However the app doesn't present window controls. The biggest problem with fullscreen is the App will minimize if I use a Window on the second monitor which makes it pretty much worthless for its intended purpose.

2) I want the following display but there is no "Settings" section. Yes, this is an administrator user on the server.

I see this:

I want to show more on my Xbox version of this app. When I go click home on the app it barely shows anything

familybee
Just now, familybee said:

I can show more of my library on the Xbox version of this app how do I do it?

I want to show more on my Xbox version of this app. When I go click home on the app it barely shows anything

want to show more on my Xbox version of this app. When I go click home on the app it barely shows anything