Web Client - Skip Forward/Back

ESO223

• 3 weeks later...
shred00

It's being added to the casting screen for the next versions of Android, iOS and the web app. 

There is no configurable skip setting at this point, but since we have that in Emby Theater I imagine we'll have that here as well at some point. thanks !

Did this ever happen?  I cast from the web client and don't see any skip buttons still.

shred00

when I'm casting to the TV from my phone, I can ask google to pause, play and most importantly - REWIND/SKIP xx number of seconds! 

So let me understand... You start Emby on your phone, right?  Android app or web client?  You then start (i.e. from your phone) playing something casted to your TV and you can then ask Google Home to control what you are casting, such as pause/play/stop/rewind/skip?

If so, I wonder if the Assistant on the phone can do the same thing?

Did this ever happen?  I cast from the web client and don't see any skip buttons still.

@@shred00, yes, but you don't see the buttons on small screen layouts. They will only show up on tablet sized screens and above. There's just too many buttons as it is right now unfortunately.

shred00

yes, but you don't see the buttons on small screen layouts.

But it's precisely small screen layouts that need these buttons the most. The smaller the screen, the less granular and therefore more sensitive the slider is.

They will only show up on tablet sized screens and above.

On a tablet sized screen, the slider would be much more usable for trying to skip small increments such as TV show commercial breaks.

There's just too many buttons as it is right now unfortunately.

Looks to me like lots of room for buttons here:

5a5037f6b6d43_Screenshot_20180105213405.

But I would even advocate just two buttons, one for each direction and the number of times they are pressed in quick succession increases the skip distance the way it does on Kodi. One press is 10s, a second press in quick succession is 30s, and third in quick succession is 60s, etc.

The other alternative is to make the slider speed or distance sensitive so that the slower you move the slider, the better precision you get.  Slide fast for big jumps where each increment of slider movement equals large increments of time and slower movement of the slider makes each increment a smaller amount of time.  There is a name for this that is escaping me at the moment.

FredMuppeteer

So let me understand... You start Emby on your phone, right?  Android app or web client?  You then start (i.e. from your phone) playing something casted to your TV and you can then ask Google Home to control what you are casting, such as pause/play/stop/rewind/skip?

If so, I wonder if the Assistant on the phone can do the same thing?

Yep, Emby on my phone - usually the web client but sometimes the Android app (can't remember why I have both) casting to a Chromecast Ultra. I just tested the chromecast voice commands and they work from Google Assistant on my phone as well.

As with the Google Home, you have to specify "tv" the first time (ok Google, pause TV) but subsequent times you can miss out the device (ok Google, play).

• Like 1

shred00

Hrm.  Yeah.  I do seem to have some success with this, even on my phone.

Thanks for the tips @@FredMuppeteer.

I still think some buttons on that unused space in the app's remote-control page would be useful.

Edited by shred00

In that screenshot above, I think we already have a lot of buttons, personally. There needs to be a little white-space. It seems like we ought to be able to use the seek bar.

Let me ask this way. Do you feel this way about other media applications on the same device, or perhaps not even media applications, but other apps that use a slider for some sort of control. Like for example the device brightness slider. Do you also wish they would replace their slider with buttons. Or, if their slider works nicely, can you describe what's better about it? Thanks.

FredMuppeteer

Interesting question! I've never really thought about it before but...

In the case of the brightness slider, volume sliders etc I've never really had a problem. If I miss the level I was aiming for slightly I just keep my finger on the slider and go back a bit, or just let go and start again. With a slider used for scrolling through a video however it is harder because the increments are simply too small - moving your finger less than a millimeter could be 20 seconds of video. Having a button with a set number of seconds is so much easier and most other video players I've used have these buttons.

Music players are different because using a slider to go through a song that's just a few minutes long is easy, but try it with an audio book that's 15 hours long for example and it becomes impossible as each tiny movement of your finger could skip 20 minutes or more, which is why audiobook players always have dedicated buttons for skipping a few seconds, and a slider for doing the big jumps. I think most podcast apps take this approach too.

Also in the screenshot above I really do think there is room on that row for two more buttons without making it look bad. Hell you could even use the space at the bottom for two massive buttons and I'd still be happy!  :D

5a52a7e9d410e_Screenshot_1.png

Edited by FredMuppeteer

shred00

In that screenshot above, I think we already have a lot of buttons, personally.

Perhaps. But in that light, I'd sooner see the Like and Replay buttons go away rather than not adding functional FFW/REW buttons.

But I'm not really advocating that either. I think the generous amount of whitespace below the existing controls is plenty to add two more buttons.

Let me ask this way. Do you feel this way about other media applications on the same device,

To be honest, I have not typically used my phone for video media due to the screen size. It's just too small. But with the advent of Chromecast, the screen size is no longer really an issue except in the case where it's a remote control lacking skip buttons or a more usable slider.

or perhaps not even media applications, but other apps that use a slider for some sort of control.

I can't really think of any other apps that use a slider as a control.

Like for example the device brightness slider. Do you also wish they would replace their slider with buttons. Or, if their slider works nicely, can you describe what's better about it? Thanks.

Something like brightness control doesn't really compare because brightness is a property where "close enough" is good enough. I'm not really going to discern one (or even a quite a few) graduation(s) of brightness on the slider.

Sliding past a commercial break without sliding into the next segment of a television show is completely different. You don't want to skip a few, or probably even one, graduation into the beginning of the segment. You also don't want to nullify your efforts to skip the commercials by only being able to slide to within 30 seconds or so of the end of the commercial break.

• 1 year later...
snodrog742

Music players are different because using a slider to go through a song that's just a few minutes long is easy, but try it with an audio book that's 15 hours long for example and it becomes impossible as each tiny movement of your finger could skip 20 minutes or more, which is why audiobook players always have dedicated buttons for skipping a few seconds, and a slider for doing the big jumps. I think most podcast apps take this approach too.

Yessssss!  This is killing me with a 6 hour audiobook.  Sometimes I feel like I missed a crucial detail not even 10 seconds ago and just want to jump back.  Well, I'm averaging about 1.5 minutes jumping back by using the slider.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...