Web Client - Skip Forward/Back

ESO223

Apologies if this has been brought up before. I did a search through Feature Requests and the Web Client forum first and couldn't find anything directly related. I think it would be worth while to have instant replay (go back ~7-10 seconds) and skip forward (~30 seconds) buttons on the webclient play bar. I often times find myself using them on Emby Classic (MBC) because I missed a line or two of dialogue, and using the timeline to rewind in the web client often moves the player back much further than I need. Hopefully this request is already on your radar and I wasted my time posting this :-) If not, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

I too am a huge fan of this.  The slider within the web client is not accurate enough.  I would like to see something like iOS devices have.

BnCFE.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
Thermopyle

This is the most important feature in the history of needed features on (wo)mankind's technological inventions!

I searched forever trying to figure out how to do this before realizing the feature isn't implemented.

It's also worth noting that there should be keyboard shortcuts as well.  Youtube implements left/right arrow as 5 second skips, but 5 seconds is too short.  I'd rather have forward 30s, back 10s.

• 1 month later...
Randy Kerr

Agreed!Same goes for the Android app. It goes backward, and forward. But little accuracy. It's like throwing darts.

Randy

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on potentially implementing this feature?  The web client scrollbar is essentially useless when attempting to FF and RW.

I don't see how it's useless. It's quite easy to drag back and forth.

Ok useless may have been a bad word.  Difficult may be better.

For instance, I use live tv recordings a lot.  When attempting to fast forward through the commercials of the recordings it is very difficult to go 30 sec - 1 min at a time.  The scrubber doesn't give you enough finite control of the amount of time you are scrolling through.  That's why I think a 30 second FF/RW button would be perfect.

Try it yourself and let me know your thoughts.  It is easy to go 10 or 20 minutes at a time, but not easy to go to a specific point in time.

I don't see how it's useless. It's quite easy to drag back and forth.

i disagree for several reasons:

• In Emby Theater the slider is currently limited to 100 discrete steps (this could be fixed by specifying step="0.01")
  • Even the 0.1 stepping used in the web client is not accurate per pixel if the screen is wider than 1000
  • Currently any seek results in a new transcoding process started on the server. This may take from 1s to up several seconds when the media is remuxed only, but even longer when transcoding is required
  • And that's just the local experience. For remote clients extra time is needed because it needs to restart and buffer the stream until it can playback again
  • Finally we end up waiting 10 to 30s just in order to skip back a few seconds or skip commercials.
  • And with commercials, it's virtually impossible to hit the right position with the slider (unless it would display preview thumbs while moving the slider)
  • For a WMC user, where skipping happens virtually without any delay, this is hard to accept
  • But even if we just compare to other online video experience like youtube or whatever, this is still bad

The good news is that I'm currently working on a better streaming experience with seeking enabled in the client as well as on the server...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
FredMuppeteer

Still waiting for this to be implemented - it's the biggest problem with the web client. Skipping back a few seconds because you missed something is really difficult and you end up hunting around backwards and forwards for ages. PLEASE just put a couple of skip buttons in there!

FredMuppeteer

I don't get on well with the Emby Theater interface, I've tried it a few times and prefer the web client. My TV Shows are across 2 drives so it doesn't show me Next Up, Latest etc, it just puts all the shows in A-Z order which is no good for me.

In my living room I use the Emby android app on my phone/tablet to cast to my TV, so the skip buttons would really help there. Also it doesn't look like you can send to chromecast from Emby Theater :-(

• 1 month later...
FredMuppeteer

WIll it ever appear for the chromecast controls? I get the buttons in my phone browser and also the Android app if I hold it in landscape and watch the video on my phone, but when I'm casting video to the TV the controls change and the buttons disappear. Using the web interface on the phone and casting to the TV is so close to being perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
JoshuaAJones

That's why I've never seen them.

I'm always casting to the TV.

I agree with Fred... I'd love to see them while casting.

Also, if we could adjust the Rew/FF times on the app, that would be beneficial.

Depending on my location, the sync time while backing up needs to be adjusted.

10, 15, 20, 25, 30.

Thanks for looking into this.

It's being added to the casting screen for the next versions of Android, iOS and the web app. 

There is no configurable skip setting at this point, but since we have that in Emby Theater I imagine we'll have that here as well at some point. thanks !

• 7 months later...
FredMuppeteer

Did anything ever happen with this? I ended up switching to Plex "temporarily" as their chromecast controls have buttons that allow you to skip back 10 seconds and forward 30.

I'm still running Emby server to organise my media, but I'm running Plex server alongside it so I can use their app when I cast to my TV.

Plex transcoding crashes a lot though and I'd love to use the Emby web client/android app again.

Chillout

The bar on Theater and the web doesnt really provide good information as to how far you can go back or forward for live TV.

One of my main gripes about Theater and Web is the lack of key indicators regarding the time shifted buffer.  WMC provided clear indicator how far you could rewind liveTV and fast forward until you got to realtime.  .

WMC:

59f4ea88d4ef0_Capture.jpg

THEATER/Web:

59f4ea32a9168_Untitled.jpg

Edited by Chillout

The web app does show the buffer progress in the forward direction, just not backwards. We need to get it supported both ways and supported in theater as well.

• Like 1

Chillout

Theater could use a marker to indicate what time it is at in relation to realtime. 

WMC has the past and future times a different shade so its plain what is going on.

It should would be nice to get this feature enabled in theater before Dec 31, 2017.  Thats when the window for free Win10 upgrade finally closes and I can sunset win7 and WMC for good.

59f4ef5355a7b_bar.jpg

Edited by Chillout

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
FredMuppeteer

Hi all, I'm please to say I have managed to get rid of Plex completely and I'm living the Emby life again!

I bought a Google Home Mini which now sits under my TV, so when I'm casting to the TV from my phone, I can ask google to pause, play and most importantly - REWIND/SKIP xx number of seconds! This has made watching stuff so much better. Instead of fumbling around with the slider in the android/web app, I can actually specify how far back or forward I want to go.

It's great for skipping the opening credits of TV shows, or just going back a few seconds because you missed something. It would be nice to be able to do it from the app as well, but saying "Hey Google, rewind 20 seconds on TV" works well enough for me!  :D