Folders on Top

andrewteg

andrewteg

Is there a way to have the folders listed first? 

We're moving to a Roku from Windows Media Center (Windows 7) and really like the organization we have for our movies in folders but Emby seems to mix the folder names and movie names. So if I have a folder named "Star Wars" with all 6 3 in there, then that shows up before individual movies, like "Big Hero 6" or whatever.

I've tried both unset/mixed content and Movies/TV based on folder but neither seems to give me the option to sort. I can sort for a session on the web interface but even that doesn't always seem to work and never persists to my next session on the web or Roku.

Thanks!
Andrew

87e40e0e57de59a526d150bd3f80078d.jpg

It depends on the user logged in. On the dashboard, you can change the order. It is within "settings" then choose homescreen settings. You need to change the order here, and remember to "save". After this the roku will respect that ordering when logged in as that user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

andrewteg

Yes, I do mean folder browsing at any level really. I just want a media server that will respect my organization file-wise if I decide I want to show it "my way" so to speak.

I did go to user icon => Settings, Home Screen Settings but see nothing called Folders in View Order, only my 3 current media folders.

Thanks for the response and sorry if I didn't make my question clear,

Andrew

You do want to look at those home screen settings but not View Order. Look at View Styles and disable the metadata-based presentations.

andrewteg

Thanks. I did disable the metadata-based presentations but all I mean is that I want to have all the folders first. Here's a screenshot of my kid's movie folder in the web where folders and individual items are mixed. I just would like to list all my sub-folders first if possible. Here would be nice but on the Roku is preferred.

55ecf45dd4cb3_Folders.png

so you mean folder first sorting instead of a-z?

Could be tough to handle properly in all situations because we have so many types that are actually folders but in situations like the above, it would be good if the a-z sort always put folders first.  Especially in something like a photo library.

andrewteg

so you mean folder first sorting instead of a-z?

Could be tough to handle properly in all situations because we have so many types that are actually folders but in situations like the above, it would be good if the a-z sort always put folders first.  Especially in something like a photo library.

Yes, I guess it would be folder first A-Z sorting. That's a much better description than I fumbled my way through :)  I was just seeing if it was an option I was missing and didn't mean to confuse everyone!   I think, as a user, one option would likely be just to put a dash in front of folder names. That'd work fine for me and my video collections where I prefer the folder first sorting, but I do agree it'd be a handy option to have, especially for photo collections, and be a more natural transition for people new to the software that are only used to seeing their media in a Windows Explorer type window.

• 1 month later...

I also have a question about this.   I have two rokus and before I had to rebuild everything I had my folders on top when I went into Emby on the Roku.   Now I do not have folders listed at all, and very much want them back.  As they allowed us to organize the folders, by date, name, and many other indices.

I saw the screenshot that speechless sent, but I cannot even seem to find that configuration page.   I would like to get my folders back in Roku and more importantly be able to have them on top when we go into the Emby channel on the Roku.

Happy2Play

I also have a question about this.   I have two rokus and before I had to rebuild everything I had my folders on top when I went into Emby on the Roku.   Now I do not have folders listed at all, and very much want them back.  As they allowed us to organize the folders, by date, name, and many other indices.

I saw the screenshot that speechless sent, but I cannot even seem to find that configuration page.   I would like to get my folders back in Roku and more importantly be able to have them on top when we go into the Emby channel on the Roku.

That option has been removed from the home screen to do the same thing as library level with view styles.  But if you really want Folders back it is a per user setting.

Log out go to Emby-Server\config\users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\config.xml

Set <DisplayFoldersView> to true

So I was going to just edit my post and delete it, as I think I just found that home screen settings page, but I really had such a hard time finding it, that it might be worth pointing out how to get there.  

In the upper right corner of your server configuration page is a user icon.   You click on that and go into the specific user's settings and in there you can edit the Home Screen Settings.

I am embarrassed to say that I had never encountered that screen before.

And

Happy2Play

There is a link to it in Users also.

Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences

Edited by Happy2Play

Does it take a while for these folders to get built and displayed?   As I have enabled those folders and their orders, rebooted both rokus, but still don't see the folders?

It wouldn't surpise me to hear that I am being impatient.