MB Nextpvr Roku

super67

I just wrote a nice long post then I hit the wrong button and lost it all, thus saving everyone the aggravation of reading it.

Will the following attached document work?

Want to have Live TV, Recorded TV and Netflix?

Looking at Media Browser, NextPVR and Roku.

Thanks

MBNPVRROKU.xml

No idea what that attachment is. As for when live TV will be on the Roku? I'm not really sure. I believe they are working on a Server WMC implementation. I would guess I won't take a look at live tv until that is in as NextPVR won't work for me.

Going to be curious to see what that SD tuner will do. Looks interesting, but really not going to spend anymore money on my WMC setup.

Quick outline of original post:

I have researched and installed the following:

1. XMBC

2. WMC

3. MythTV

4. MediaPortal

5. NextPVR

6. VLC

7. PS3 Media Server

8. TVersity

9. WMC with Media Browser

10. I forget the others.

I am trying to avoid having a computer for every TV.  I like NextPVR with the popcorn NMT, but no Netflix.  I feel using the Roku boxes with Media Browser Server and NextVR for recording and watching Live TV would be the way to go.  Really looking to see if the above PDF diagram would work and hoping the UI would be WAF

Yes, that will work, and that is exactly the plan. The server will manage the backends (next pvr, serverwmc), and the clients will not need to know anything about them. they'll only worry about channels, recordings, timers, etc.

All of you Roku users just have to convince gcw07 to add support for live tv now  :)

• Like 2

Well I brought the Roku 2 and now realize that it is WiFi only.

1.  Will the  Roku 2 work for my situation (MB3, NextPVR, NetFlix)?

2.  How many Roku 2,s can I have running at the same time, without having WiFi Problems?

3.  Is there a better solution than Roku? 

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to finish the setup, ASAP

Hopefully it is the newer Roku 2 and not the old Roku 2. The model number should be 2720. If you have that, it should be okay for the most part. As for how many running at once. Really no idea. Everything in my home outside of my phone and ipad is wired, so no idea if it can handle multiple or what.

All of you Roku users just have to convince gcw07 to add support for live tv now  :)

Assuming the Server WMC stuff gets implemented and that supports protected channels, then it will probably be implemented. Otherwise, having no way to really test it, it may be a long while before it is added. Next PVR just won't work for my setup. All my channels are protected on my provider.

Well I brought the Roku 2 and now realize that it is WiFi only.

1.  Will the  Roku 2 work for my situation (MB3, NextPVR, NetFlix)?

2.  How many Roku 2,s can I have running at the same time, without having WiFi Problems?

3.  Is there a better solution than Roku? 

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to finish the setup, ASAP

ernstgot

Assuming the Server WMC stuff gets implemented and that supports protected channels, then it will probably be implemented. Otherwise, having no way to really test it, it may be a long while before it is added. Next PVR just won't work for my setup. All my channels are protected on my provider.

From what it sounds like protected channels wont work.  But OTA tuner should work for testing, there in turn us with cable cards that have providers who don't protect their channels.  

I think a lot of us would love to only have to have a Roku in each room rather than a computer.

From what it sounds like protected channels wont work.  But OTA tuner should work for testing, there in turn us with cable cards that have providers who don't protect their channels.  

I think a lot of us would love to only have to have a Roku in each room rather than a computer.

Yes it will work. But now the question is, how can we motivate gcw07 to put the effort in?

Developer contributions. He's telling to go onto the Roku forums and see if you can find any volunteers to help him out.