Issue with Media noted as Off-Line when not

ebr

The issue is probably that the network is not waking up in time for the server to see it.  I've seen this on my dev machine as well when it sleeps.

@@Luke, Perhaps we should delay the library scan that is performed on a wake for a few seconds to give the network time to initialize.

The fact that the play button is there is a bug then.

This has nothing to do with mbc. The solution is making sure they don't get marked offline by the servrr

To answer the question about playing offline. Yes, in theory MBC could try to play the file and then display an error message if it fails, but we've found that users prefer the play button not be there at all when an item is designated as offline, due to the confusion it may cause for some.

• Like 1

Haubrija

Hi guys - I'm intermittently having an issue that may or may not be setup specific.  I have a feeling you may need some additional information by way of logs, but since I can't track when or why this happens, I was hoping for some guidance as to what you would need.

At the outset, my client is MBC.  Today, I upgraded to 3.0.5078.42671, but I recall this issue happening on the previous two betas.  I have the majority of my media on a WHS2011 machine.  I have the MB3 server installed on my client machine(win7 64 bit)and the paths to my media configured via UNC paths.

The issue is fairly simple.  Intermittently, when attempting to play a media file from the my WHS 2011 machine, I will get a pop up notice that the media is off line in MBC.  After receiving the message, I am able to browse to the file through Windows Explorer and play it on the client machine.  Thereafter I browsed my library on the MB3 server and all of my media on the WHS 2011 machine has a red triangle denoting that it is off line.  If I scan the media library, the problem resolves and the media no longer appears off line.  For obvious reasons, this is not ideal as it takes away the on-demand nature of the media.  As an aside, I have my media library set to scan every 4 hours. 

Worth noting, I use the MC Standby tool on the Win7 client machine.  The computer goes to sleep ever night and wakes up via a WOL command on my remote.  My suspicion is that the issue is somehow related to that - that MB3 server doesn't wake up to scan and denotes the library off line.  I have noted on a few occasions that the scheduled tasks had failure notices in the web interface, although not specifically for the Scan Media Library task.  This is just a theory though without any real evidence. 

One thing I wondered is why this issues occurs at all.  Shouldn't MBC try to play the file regardless as to whether its listed off-line or not?  Or is that not possible given the server architecture? 

Please let me know if you have any questions or require anything from either of my setups to help resolve the issue.  Really love the software and want to get it working smoothly.  Thanks.  

Haubrija

To answer the question about playing offline. Yes, in theory MBC could try to play the file and then display an error message if it fails, but we've found that users prefer the play button not be there at all when an item is designated as offline, due to the confusion it may cause for some.

Hmm, but the play button is present on my set up even when it's designated as off-line.  In fact, I hit the play button and then the error pops up.  I've never seen it where the play button is not present.  BTW I'm normally using the ROC theme if it is theme issue.  

I understand that some users may not want the play button to be there (though personally that doesn't make a ton of sense to me because its the same issue in either case, i.e you can't play that media) but could it be possible to have a select able option in MBC to choose the appropriate behavior?  

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar issue. I run unRaid on my server which spins down the discs. The MB server is installed on my HTPC which connects to the server for the movie data. Today I connected using the web client and it listed a movie as offline. I went down to the scenes listing and started playing it from there. I then refreshed the web client thinking it will detect it properly now, but it still listed it as offline.