dmrc

• 3 weeks later...

I know Marcel has moved on to XBMC, but hoping someone can help out with an issue I'm having.

Windows 7 64-bit, latest MB3 Classic

I've tried both the registry and MCThemer options in your readme, and at one point, I had it working (ish).  However, after trying to re-organize the entry points in MCE RTB, they break and I get errors saying "mb3launcher has crashed", or once I got MCThemer "working", I get a message that it crashed instead.

Trying to use some custom images instead of the stock MB3 application image, and since MB3 user accounts can't have spaces, I was trying to just rename the item title, but leaving the context addin as the username.

Any help would be great!

Example of the custom strips I want to create:

Strip Name:  Media Library

Entry Points:  TV Series, Anime, Cartoons, Internet Videos

Strip Name: Movie Library

Entry Points: Movie Collection, Comedy Specials

That's what I normally use, but for whatever, MCS starting crashing this morning... prompting me to try RTB.  I guess I'll try reloading MCS.

EDIT: I've gotten it working now.  Due to my slight OCD on cleaning up unused things on my PC, I was deleting the default entry point to MB3 from the MCE Start Menu and leaving the custom ones from MB3Launch, since this is what I used to do on MB2 entry points.  Discovered that if I just uncheck the strip to hide it, MB3Launch and all my entry points started working, after deleting the broken ones and re-applying them with registry files.

Edited by Parjai

• 9 months later...

This tool was written a while ago so I'm not sure how he is accomplishing it but there is now a field in the config file specifically for startup parameters.  It is not published or designed to be used externally, but PM me and I'll fill you in.

I'm attempting to do this as well and I can't seem to figure it out.  I saw the autologin field in the config file but that automatically switches back to false when i make it true.

what are you attempting to do exactly?  Sign in to MBC with a specific profile?   Create a custom entry point for the profile you want as detailed earlier in the thread and then use MCS to create the tile for it in WMC.  You hit the tile and it says "Welcome back Movies..."  or whatever you called the profile, and then MBC is displayed with the layout and folders you set for that profile.

An another note, looking back at this thread, a year after I said I was going to explore XBMC/Kodi and I'm still happily using WMC.  It just won't die...

• 1 year later...
jachin99

I'm shamelessly guilty of bringing up an old thread but if anyone out there in the world of emby still has some knowledge about this, can I use these files to setup a shortcut to video games?  @@ebr -  I have a basic understanding of how to add programs to the start menu of WMC, and I'm willing to help out where I can to keep this little program alive. 

I don't think why you want to do is emby related. If you want an entrypoint/tile to a game (windows executable) then that is what Media Center Studio (MCS) is for.

jachin99

I don't want to launch an executable.  Instead I want to add a shortcut next to the emby tile on the same menu strip that will take me straight into my games view within emby.  

Oh right, you said launch video games, I didn't realise that was a 'view'. You need to setup a profile (user) in emby which just has access to your games library and call the user Games or similar. Then use the method at the start of this thread to create an entry point for that user. Then use a tool like MCS or one of the others mentioned to create a tile for the entry point. Which bit of that process do you need help with?

jachin99

I would like to have the start menu entry go straight into games from emby rather than go into emby, and have to select games again from the emby menu.  I'm not sure if this part is possible, and before I wasn't sure if anything on this thread still worked because it is so old.  

jachin99

I've added the strips, and it seems to be working for the most part but i'm still taken to the main emby screen for my Movies user.  There are three folders, one for Movies, one for Favorites, and one for Games.  I can't seem to get rid of the favorites folder for my Movies user.  I haven't tried configuring emby to jump straight into the movies folder yet but hopefully that will make everything work how I picture it.  One more question, would this be possible for trailers where I add a user called trailers, and it jumps straight into the trailers plugin?

I don't think it will be possible for Trailers as that is a plugin not a library and the way this works is by having a user that can only see a specific library.

It's a while ago since I set this up now but I think you have to enable the "Legacy Browsing" option and disable EHS to get it jump straight into the library for the user.

jachin99

What about adding an entry point tile that points towards the trailers page in the emby web app?  This way you would only have to point emby towards a web address, using a specific browser like chrome

Yes you can do that.  I have tiles pointing to YouTube on Chrome (TV interface) and iPlayer.  Just put the web address in MCS instead of an executable.  I also autohotkey scripts to close them in the background after I've returned to Media Center using the green button, i.e., when the browser is no longer in focus.

jachin99

Ok, I've gotten a little further with this but I also have a few new hangups so here is what I have done.  I've created a profile for Movies, and restricted it's library to just my movies.  This fine for me, and I'm happy with it.  I've also created a profile for video games, restricted it to just my games library as I did with movies, and it takes me to a screen that has an icon I can click that will take me to my games library within EMC.  I have tried diabling EHS, and enabling legacy browsing in this games profile but I am still not taken directly to a screen that shows my games library and this isn't a HUGE deal for me but I would prefer to go straight to the games library.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I'm going to ask about it in the EMC forum just in case.  Now onto moving tiles around...

I Use the Media Center Reset Toolbox, which is basically an updated fork of MCS to customize my start menu but I cannot move the original emby tile, or the tiles from the custom start strip created here without breaking them.  The icons move where I want them to be but when i cilck on the moved icon, it does nothing.  Because using tools such as MCS, and MCE Reset Toolbox seems to break the original start menu API I'm not exactly sure how to move those tiles.  Maybe I could change the registry entires to point the tile installation onto my movies strip?

For trailers, I am able to add a website that points towards the emby web app trailers page in MCE Reset Toolbox BUT it shows up in my extras tab, and MCE Reset Toolbox won't let me move it onto another start menu strip.  On top of all of this I tried moving the default movies tile onto the custom emby strip but the emby strip won't let MCE Reset Toolbox add any new tiles to it.  Also when I select my trailers web page shortcut it doesn't minimize WMC, and I have to manually minimize WMC in order to get to the browser.  

On a side note, in order to view a remote/keyboard shortcut friendly version of a page in the emby web app, you need to go to the address tv.emby.media NOT emby.media

I don't have a games library so I don't know if its fundamentally different to a video media library but if you are going straight into Movies but not into Games then there is likely a setting discrepency somewhere.  From within MC, go to the settings when logged into each profile and compare.  Some settings are global and some are per profile.

I've not used Reset Toolbox only MCS, which has worked for me and you should be able to move tiles from the Extras strip or from custom strips.  Rather than moving have you tried deleting them and creating a new tile with the entrypoint somewhere else?

I recall some tiles breaking when moved or can't be moved at all.  I think what I did with those is use the strip they are on as my main strip and added custom tiles to that strip.   I can't really remember how I did it now but I think I had trouble moving the Recorded TV and Guide so I made that my TV strip and added tiles to my downloaded TV, YouTube and iPlayer to that strip.  Below the TV strip I have my Films strip and above TV I have my Kids strip.  Each of those have profile tiles to my movie library and my kids' film and tv libraries respectively.  Then I have a Music strip and I hide everything else,

If you have issues with windows minimising, closing etc. you need to look into Autohotkey to take care of that stuff for you depending on what windows are active, keypresses etc. 

Other bits I use include a small utility to hide the mouse cursor after a few seconds, MCE Remote Mapper to program buttons to switch subtitles on and off, MCSFix to resolve problems with updates breaking tiles (might be useful for your inactive tiles, get it from this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9286)and gPhotoshow to give me a photos screensaver that allows me to delete or favourite photos with the remote during the slideshow (in combination with the mapper utility).