Maybe a problem with loading Movie library

Bricktop

Bricktop

Hey all...I am new to Media Browser, but like what I am seeing so far, but I have come accross an issue and I am not sure if it is a setup issue or bug.  I have my Media Browser client set up on my Server, and I think it it configured correctly as I can browse my movie library using the web interface as I would expect to.  The problem is when I run MBT on a remote PC (connected via GB lan), the movies portion of of the browser takes forever to load my movies.  I do have a large ripped Blu-ray collection of about 1300 titles, but once I sign in to the Server and am presented with the start page, the movie covers are slow to load and if I choose all movies from the Movie categories it can take minutes for the cover art to show up. The fan art background are visible immediately, I have tried changing every setting I can, but it is just so slow.  Any ideas.

Thanks,

Bricktop

Good day,

If you first start the clients, then it normal for that since it need to build the images cache, after it completed in your collections view, then it will be fast.

My best

Bricktop

No cover art plug-in. When you say "first start the clients" are you refering to every time I start it, or just the first time? If it were a one time deal, which it did not seem to be, then that is OK, but if I power up an HTPC and have to wait minutes for my movie collection to show up it is a bit off-putting. Does the client, in this case MBT, store the images locally, or does it need to load the entire library every time?

Thanks,

Bricktop

GrotShot

I have seen the same where MBT just sits with a completely black screen apart from top toolbar icons which can be used successfully. After a few minutes the screen populates with information.

• Like 1

it caches the images locally, and i really haven't heard of other cases like this, so something must be going on.

Bricktop

That is good to know. I will try MBT on a different PC to see if it acts the same as far as loading the library.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bricktop

Yes...when I start MBT on client machine, a large square with the outline of a person with the name of the server appears, it has the text "sign in" on the upper left part of the screen. I have to click on it with the mouse(the large image), though hitting enter may work...I didn't try, to get MBT to go to the "content" screen. So basically a sign in screen on the client to the server upon startup.

Bricktop

I have seen the same where MBT just sits with a completely black screen apart from top toolbar icons which can be used successfully. After a few minutes the screen populates with information.

This is exactly what is happeneing every time I start MBT. Not sure how to fix it.

Another quick question while I am at it.  I only have one server, so is it necessary to have the name of the server come up when MBT is opened to sign in every time.  I don't have the server set up to require a sign in, but just having the MBT go directly to the front collection/movie page is much preferable.

Edited by Bricktop

yea it's the same kind of sign in screen that all of our clients have. as noted in the original MBT thread, there are no auto-login features yet.

Bricktop

I did a bit more playing with MBT on a different PC and came up with the following. If I go to movies the list will eventually load. It takes a few minutes, but I am fairly sure the information/images are cached as they show up on the front page and while the movie list is "loading" the background art cycles. If I navigate back to the front page after the movies all load then back to movies the same delay happens again. I think it is just taking a loooong time to sort through the 1300 movies. The one machine is running a Sandybridge-e processor so I know it is not under powered for the sort.

Quick update... the Android app works quickly and beautifully. Very well done and little to no lag loading my movie library.

Regards,

Bricktop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bricktop

This has started happening with me as well. I can run MBT on the PC that runs my server but I can no longer run it on different PC's.

It won't load my movie library and gives me a message reading. "There was an error processing the request."

Edited by Don

CloudVader

I'm having the same issues with loading a large library on MBT. It takes a very, very long time to load my Movies collection, which currently sits at a little over 5000 (and I have several hundred more DVD's left to rip to my servers). This was causing me timeout issues in MBC where nothing would show up, so I waited patiently for MBT in the hopes that it would improve. Well, my collections do at least load most of the time, but I have to wait at least a few minutes for my Movies to show up*. And then if I back out to go to another collection and then go back into Movies, I have to wait for the load all over again. In some cases, I get "There was an error processing the request." My TV collection does not fare much better, but at least it usually only takes one minute instead of several. Does MBT not do any data caching at all? Are there any suggestions that would improve the loading times substantially? If not, are there any plans to improve caching and load times for those of us with obsessively large collections?

*I should note that I have CoverArt turned off to improve performance, and I have tried running MB Server on both a remote PC and on the PC running MBT, and there is no noticeable performance improvement. I hate to bring up XBMC as an example because I have been a MB supporter for a long time now, but I don't have to wait several minutes for it to load a media collection from a remote server; it's pretty instantaneous.

I'm having the same issues with loading a large library on MBT. It takes a very, very long time to load my Movies collection, which currently sits at a little over 5000 (and I have several hundred more DVD's left to rip to my servers). This was causing me timeout issues in MBC where nothing would show up, so I waited patiently for MBT in the hopes that it would improve. Well, my collections do at least load most of the time, but I have to wait at least a few minutes for my Movies to show up*. And then if I back out to go to another collection and then go back into Movies, I have to wait for the load all over again. In some cases, I get "There was an error processing the request." My TV collection does not fare much better, but at least it usually only takes one minute instead of several. Does MBT not do any data caching at all? Are there any suggestions that would improve the loading times substantially? If not, are there any plans to improve caching and load times for those of us with obsessively large collections?

*I should note that I have CoverArt turned off to improve performance, and I have tried running MB Server on both a remote PC and on the PC running MBT, and there is no noticeable performance improvement. I hate to bring up XBMC as an example because I have been a MB supporter for a long time now, but I don't have to wait several minutes for it to load a media collection from a remote server; it's pretty instantaneous.

It's alpha. Just be patient.

CloudVader

It's alpha. Just be patient.

I know, and as a software engineer myself I know the limits of an alpha build. I just wanted to make sure that hope was on the way for this at some point since I'm sure we aren't the only ones with large collections who will run into this. I have no problem waiting for good software as long as I know it will do what I need it to do. :)