Upgraded HDHR Prime and Emby, and still can't use LiveTV

oldschool

oldschool

I upgraded Emby to Version 3.0.5713.4, and my two HDRH Prime tuners to the newest firmware version 20150826.

I've had the same problem happening since I initially tried out the HDHR plugin and now the native LiveTV capabilities of Emby. Since day 1, whenever I try to play a live TV program using Firefox, it plays for 1-2 seconds, the video freezes, and nothing happens. Emby creates a transcode file in the log, but the log is always empty.

If it matters, I don't have it connected to Schedules Direct. I wanted to work out the kinks before I have to drop $25 to get the schedule.

I've attached logs here, and if you need more detailed logs, I can provide them for you.

server-63576277844.txt

rkulagow

If you're actively troubleshooting and the issue is not in the Schedules Direct piece then send me a PM with your SchedulesDirect username when you're down to 1 day and I can reset your trial until everything is figured out.

• Like 1

oldschool

Like I said, it creates a transcode file (latest one named transcode-27c52415-e710-40e6-9333-d9e88f63505c.txt), but the file is 0KB and there's nothing in the file. This site won't allow me to upload the transcode file. I uploaded another server.log for the latest attempt using Chrome.

BTW - I went through the time to add channel logos yesterday, and they were all being seen in the browser. I rebooted the server this morning and now they're missing.

server-63576341452.txt

oldschool

Thank you rkulagow.

I was hoping it wasn't related to the schedule. I wanted to make sure the feed was working before testing out the schedule. I don't think I've followed all the way through with creating an account just because I wasn't confident that my streaming video problems would be resolved anytime soon.

I moved from ServerWMC and was hopeful for this new approach. Eventually I would like to move to Win10 and maybe Emby Theater, or if XBMC adopts this approach for LiveTV, I might use that as well. Just need to take baby steps.

PS - thanks for all your hard work on this Luke!

oldschool

I'm not sure if this is relevant:

2015-08-28 12:10:56.2289 Info - App: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20150717\ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -i "http://192.168.1.108:5004/auto/v1042" -sn -codec:v:0 libvpx -force_key_frames expr:gte(t,n_forced*5) -vf "yadif=0:-1:0,scale=min(iw\,720):trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -pix_fmt yuv420p -speed 16 -quality good -profile:v 0 -slices 8 -crf 10 -qmin 0 -qmax 50 -maxrate:v 872001 -bufsize:v (872001*2) -b:v 872001 -vsync vfr -map_metadata -1 -threads 2 -codec:a:0 libvorbis -ab 128000 -af "aresample=async=1" -y "Z:\MediaBrowser\Transcoding\transcoding-temp\3239af15e4052f53562c297127a6b801.webm"
2015-08-28 12:11:04.1225 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://192.168.1.108/tuners.html
2015-08-28 12:11:04.3721 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://192.168.1.108/tuners.html
2015-08-28 12:11:04.9961 Error - HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: An exception has occurred while receiving a message.. Exception.Message: The header part of a frame cannot be read from the data source.
2015-08-28 12:11:05.7138 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://192.168.1.108/tuners.html

oldschool

Rebooted my server. Upgraded to 3.0.5713.5, and LiveTV worked one time in Firefox, and even though there were a lot of artifacts and skipping, it was working!

Tried it with Chrome, and the same problem. Played one frame and then froze.

Went back to Firefox, and it's back to its old tricks. Played for 1-2 seconds, then froze.

Transcode files are the same way - 0KB. The one successful transcoding log is attached.

server-63576375372.txt

transcode-11b58e78-bb27-45d7-a1bf-a1ee1232b8a6.txt

Well there's no problem to fix, your cpu just can't keep up. The input is 30fps but your transcoding is not keeping up with it. You will want to focus your playback on apps that can direct play the live tv without having to transcode. We might also be able to look at lowering the framerate during the transcoding process. We used to do that for live tv but some users weren't happy with it so it was removed. But even if we lower the framerate to say 24 fps, it looks like that's about all your machine can handle so you are probably still going to see some stuttering .

oldschool

I'm surprised it needs such a beefy processor to transcode.

Hmm, what would you recommend if I were to upgrade? Is it i7 or bust?

Video conversion is extremely processor intensive.  What do you have now?  Looks like maybe an old dual core?  You don't need an i7 but you probably do need something more modern than the one you have.

oldschool

It's an AMD A4 5600 dual core processor - 3.4GHz. It's been decent so far with streaming multiple videos from the server at the same time, but I know I've run into some issues with transcoding.

The performance isn't that far off from some of the more modern processors. 

Is a dedicated front end server for Emby an option? Leave the current machine to do the file server duties and then add in a dedicated Emby server, or would the preferred route to be one beefy server that does both functions? I would consider upgrading, but I'm interested in hearing what might be a good configuration.

oldschool

You can also try getting an HDHR transcoding model

I'm still trying to figure out SiliconDust offerings. Aren't all the transcoding models just OTA? I'm using a cable card with mine.

File serving duties are pretty light and almost always limited by hardware - especially compared to transcoding.

I have one machine (an i5) that runs Emby Server as well as FlexRaid and a few other things and it is quite responsive.

oldschool

I posted this in my other thread, but I got more traction here:

I went out and purchased an upgrade for my server processor so it is one of the best ones they offer for my chipset, an AMD A10 5800K quad core processor. This thing does 4x the 32bit operations than the previous processor I had.

Wanted to test it out on live TV, and it does the same exact thing. Transcoding file is 0KB, and there is an error message in the log file. Played for 1 second and then stopped. It can't be that this processor doesn't have the horsepower. It's a slightly older processor, but should have enough horsepower to get the job done. If it wasn't keeping up, then it should at least react differently than the previous hardware, but it reacted the exact same way.

server-63576893162.txt

oldschool

I tried playing the same feed over and over, and probably 50% of the time, the video would play for 1 second and then stop. I have had more success now of getting it to play, but I can see that on this quad core processor that it sometimes hits 100% utilization and hovers around 75% when it does play correctly. I had it set to 720p 1MB/s and then tried 2MB/s, and I can get it to play, but not consistently for some reason, and when I say consistently, sometimes it will start and then freeze and stop, and other times it will play, and after a few artifacts and hiccups, it will "settle down" and play correctly. So, consistency would be helpful with this feature.

I'm uploading the newest logs and a transcode log of two feeds that actually worked.

server-63576893162.txt

transcode-adcfcbb8-cb60-4704-93e6-e419f7aea543.txt

transcode-5ecf9a34-8d94-405a-ae9c-8d86e3255494.txt

oldschool

One other thing I've noticed - when I try to play Live TV and it fails, the ffmpeg.exe process it creates to transcode is not killed. Therefore, if I try to use Live TV 8 times and 6 of them play for a second and freeze, I will have 6 ffmpeg.exe processes listed eating memory but not using any CPU until I manually end the process using the task manager on the server (Win Server 2K8R2).