Anime Plug-in - Replacing existing Covers

Starkadius

Starkadius

Note: This issue was sort of described in this topic but I have started a new topic to more directly describe the issue and the plug-in in detail. @@Aphid hope you read this.

Issue: Ever since installing the Anime plugin (awesome by the way since it adds so much missing information) it has started to replace many of my covers from many anime series. Even after putting the covers back how I want them, every 24 hours or so they would revert back to what the anime plugin finds. How do I know this?

Covers found from server (thetvdb)

529566dbe7b93_5.png

Cover that I selected and fetched from thetvdb

529566eb58672_2.png

Every day or so I find that the Cover changes to one that is not available from thetvdb

529566fae8cc6_4.png

Looked at sources for Anime plugin and found AniDB

529567074f21f_1.png

A search for the item anidb revealed the cover that was being used to replace thetvdb covers

52956713dfe89_3.png

Log snippet:
2013-11-26 04:00:47.2583, Debug, ProviderManager, Running AnimeSeriesProvider for \\Star-pc\tv\Anime\Dragon ball GT
2013-11-26 04:00:47.2583, Debug, AniDB, Identified Dragon Ball GT as AniDB ID 233
2013-11-26 04:00:47.2583, Debug, ProviderManager, Running AniDbSeriesImagesProvider for \\Star-pc\tv\Anime\Dragon ball GT
2013-11-26 04:00:47.2653, Debug, AniDbSeriesImagesProvider, Downloading primary image for Dragon Ball GT from http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/332.jpg
2013-11-26 04:00:47.2653, Info, App, HttpClientManager.Get url: http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/332.jpg
2013-11-26 04:00:47.4124, Debug, ProviderManager, Saving image to \\Star-pc\tv\Anime\Dragon ball GT\folder.jpg

I have attached the portion of the log where it shows doing this. Maybe there needs to be an option to only replace missing artwork if it finds preexisting images?

Edited by Starkadius

@@Aphid

no option needed. just don't replace images that are already there and it will be consistent with the others. we'll eventually fine-tune the edit page so that you can do refreshes that replace existing images, if you want.

yardameus

Thanks for the comprehensive post on this.  I would also like to add that it mis-identified Eureka and The Universe as Eureka Seven and Universe and on my system only saved the Posters as poster.jpg, no folder.jpg.

the core determines the image file name, not the plugin. if you want folder.jpg, go to the dashboard -> metadata -> images, and select the standard mb3/mb2 convention.

Or you can leave it because it will work just fine.

yardameus

Ok, I was wondering that about the naming, I had not added anything like that since trying the xbmc compatibility, it just threw me off when all the folder.jpgs disappeared.

yardameus

Maybe better to have my anime in a separate collection then.  It did a really good job with the ones it was supposed to work on, and part of the issue was the fact that I set up to save as xbmc compatible.  I especially appreciate the additional actor/voice info that don't come through otherwise.

Even if you move your anime into a separate collection, the plugin will still run over your other TV series. I am planning on adding some way of telling the plugin to only run over specific collections or series.

I am just testing out a small change which will help it reject non-anime in some situations (as long as you are using English metadata), which may be enough to fix the specific series which are not working correctly for you.

yardameus

I know it's not as elegant of a solution, but you could even have an option to check off from a list of your shows which ones to look at (or which ones to ignore).  A little annoying, but you really only have to do it upon installation or when you add a series.  Either way, thanks for making this plug-in, once it gets smoothed out a little, it could be a boost for recruiting more MB users through anime forums and the like.

I've updated the plugin with some changes which hopefully will fix the incorrect series recognition. You may need to update the plugin manually (reinstall from the plugin catalogue), as by default MB won't auto update to beta plugin versions. You will probably then want to go through the series which were miss-identified, deleting any incorrect images and then refresh the series metadata.

The plugin is replacing the Dragon Ball GT series poster because that series is a sequel to one of the dragon ball series. Usually, the default tvdb provider which comes with MB will identify all dragon ball series as the original series, and so will use the same poster for every series. The anime plugin currently checks for this situation and overrides the poster with its own. As I don't think there is any way of knowing that the current poster was chosen by the user, rather than by thetvdb, it is overriding your selection.

Ideally, I would run this code before the tvdb series image provider, but I need to run my providers after the tvdb and open move database providers, as they have a tendency to overwrite the metadata from the anime plugin, rather than merge it together. The open movie database provider runs after the tvdb series image provider, so the plugin has to as well.

I'll have to put some more thought into how to fix this. @@Luke can we have images as lockable fields?

@@yardameus Currently, the plugin will always match any series with an anime if the names match, even if that series is not an anime. Every series actually has multiple names (synonyms, alternate languages, etc), so even if it looks like two series have different names, only one pair from any of their alternate names has to match for it to think they are the same series. I have noticed a few problems this causes in my own library. For example, Angel (the Buffy spin-off) has all correct metadata... except that it apparently belongs to the hentai genre. There are a couple things I can do to greatly reduce the chance this will happen, and I'll release an update with those changes soon.

Edited by Aphid

Logos302

Well if we could get anime as a collection type (Wink Wink nudge nudge * Luke  :D ) then it would be easy to tell you plug to only process collection type anime.

Starkadius

Well if we could get anime as a collection type (Wink Wink nudge nudge * Luke  :D ) then it would be easy to tell you plug to only process collection type anime.

Oh you mean so that it could also allow the use of "Additional anime-specific genres, such as "Mecha" and "Slice of Life"" that are included from this plugin that only anime seems to have? That would make it much easier to browse a large collection of anime. For example sometimes I want to find "comedy" anime but it is mixed together with The Office, Adventure Time (non-anime shows).

• Like 1

@@Starkadius I have just uploaded version 1.0.5079.42353 (Dev), which includes the option to disable the automatic poster correction.

5296824fcb43f_pluginoptions.png

If you disable this, the plugin should no longer overwrite series posters. However, the posters initially loaded may now be incorrect for series which have prequels or sequels.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's a dev version because it is not well tested yet.

Edited by Aphid
  • Like 1

Logos302

Oh you mean so that it could also allow the use of "Additional anime-specific genres, such as "Mecha" and "Slice of Life"" that are included from this plugin that only anime seems to have? That would make it much easier to browse a large collection of anime. For example sometimes I want to find "comedy" anime but it is mixed together with The Office, Adventure Time (non-anime shows).

And yes having a anime collection type would open the door for a lot of configuration options.  I tried to get some traction on this earlier on in the beta precess but there just wasn't enough interest. I'm hoping that will the addition of this plug in that may be we can get some more people interested in it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would defiantly be behind the anime-specific collection type. I did it with then though Plex, and it made it a lot easier to sort though my collection. Though alternatively, would be possible to just have "User Specified" collection types, where we could add our own fields?  Kinda like a SQL DB?

• 4 weeks later...
Starkadius

I just updated to version 1.0.5119.41793 and have noticed it has replaced almost all of the covers for my anime shows again.

Edit: Okay I see that a few updates ago this was changed.

Anime 1.0.5111.32679

Now respects image locking and per-item metadata languages.

How would I go about locking only anime series images? If I cant lock just anime series images how would I go about locking only the primary cover image?

I am assuming I would have to go under metadata settings for each series.

1_zps91ebe910.jpg

If I turn "Images" off would that ONLY turn off the cover image downloading? I don't want it to prevent the download of other artwork like the banners and thumbs etc.

Edit 2: I just tested turning off "Images" for metadata, removing logos and thumb images just to see what would happen. I triggered the metadata internet provider and it did not alter the cover for the series but it also did not download any of the missing images. If i turn "images" back on it will download all the missing artwork and change the cover too which is not what I want happening.

Edited by Starkadius

Aphid

Allow metadata to be refreshed without locking images, and then for any which have the wrong primary image, manually change the image and then lock images to prevent the anime plugin from changing it in the future.

Unfortunately, this will stop MB from filling in missing images if they are added to thetvdb after you locked the series images.

• 1 month later...
Starkadius

Marking as unsolved. This problem is still occuring. It appears the plugin is not respecting the image lock since the cover is being replaced after running a manual refresh with images and backdrops locked.

Original Cover

52fc36cf1520d_212201463528PM.jpg

Images/Backdrops Locked

52fc36de65f92_212201463506PM.jpg

After a manual refresh, Primary Image is replaced. Genres Disappearing issue still persisting as well as shown in this image.

52fc36e774d36_212201470509PM.jpg

I wouldn't worry about this for now because in the next server release all of the metadata functions will be overhauled and plugins won't even have the ability to do this anymore.Instead it will push the control up to your fingertips so that you can control where your metadata and images come from..

So the core will most likely have to become a little anime friendly.

52fc5a2a55022_Untitled1.png

• Like 2