Libraries/Collections Backup and Restore

tphillip1120

tphillip1120

It would be nice to have a function to backup our Collections or maybe even our entire Libraries and the ability to Restore them.

This is why:

1. I have some Collections that I have had to create manually. Examples are Jeane-Claude Van Damme Movies. He made allot of movies and I like to keep them all together. I have

22 movies in this collection. Abbott and Costello 34 movies. Vincent Price over 20 movies. Collections of various kid movies.

2. In my Movie Library, there always seem to be a few movies that do not pull the correct meta data or images. I have to manually straighten these out by entering the data

directly and uploading my own images.

3. When ever there is an issue with Emby and I either have to reload my Libraries or reinstall Emby, it is very time consuming to get everything back the way it was.

4. I used to run all the latest beta's but have lately found that if there is a problem with the latest build, it is too time consuming to get my libraries and collections back the way they

were.

I have over 1500 movies, 153 collections of movies, 97 TV Shows with all Seasons, and over 1500 music albums.

After getting everything the way I like it, it would be nice that if something does happen I can restore my libraries and meta data back the way it was.

I love using Emby and think this would be a great feature to have, at least for users running the latest beta's.

Storing the metadata with the media will solve the metadata issue and the Server Configuration Backup plug-in will backup and restore your collections (and library defs, and users and config files...).

Deathsquirrel

Storing the metadata with the media will solve the metadata issue and the Server Configuration Backup plug-in will backup and restore your collections (and library defs, and users and config files...).

I grab backups of new movies after ripping them, adding them to my library, running a scan, and making any changes I want to the default downloaded data and images.  Storing my metadata in the movie folder means backup is simple as can be.  I just copy the new folder to my latest backup drive.

tphillip1120

Where is the setting to store meta data with the folder? I have some drives that are pretty full at the moment so it looks like I might have to do some house cleaning!

Thanks!

tphillip1120

One more question. I just did a scan and the meta data did not show up in my media folders. Do I need to remove the media folders and re-add

them in order for the changes to take affect on my existing media?

That setting will only affect future activity.  We won't migrate all the data.

You could do a refresh at the folder level though.

tphillip1120

How do you do a refresh at the folder level? My guess is that you are talking about doing

a fresh through the Metadata Manager. Would I be doing a a local refresh only or a full refresh?

Yes and it probably won't matter since you won't have any saved metadata in the media folders it will have to go and get it in either case.

Wareagle

I have the backup and I see it in Scheduled Tasks but I see no way to restore the backup. Am I supposed to copy/paste the folders in the correct locations or am I missing something 

I have the backup and I see it in Scheduled Tasks but I see no way to restore the backup. Am I supposed to copy/paste the folders in the correct locations or am I missing something 

What happens if you click one of the backups listed on the Backup plug-in's page?

Wareagle

What happens if you click one of the backups listed on the Backup plug-in's page?

I did not think of going to the plugins page to restore the settings. That was what I needed to know was where Restore was. Everything came back except my music playlists and now I can not find where they are in the server. Really love the restore feature though.

Had you selected to backup the playlists?

Did they exist in the backup you restored (was there a check box there to select to restore them)?

Wareagle

Yes. They were backed up and restored in the correct folder location, but they do not appear in any mobile client or in Emby inside WMC

I think the problem is that the references are stored as IDs so if the path to the media changed at all then they will be no good.

I may just need to remove that feature from the plug-in.

Wareagle

I think the problem is that the references are stored as IDs so if the path to the media changed at all then they will be no good.

I may just need to remove that feature from the plug-in.

The paths are the same. They are stored on a secondary drive and I see them in the "data" folder on the C drive but the server is looking at them on another drive since I can not point it to a system folder on the C drive. But locations have not changed

I see them in the "data" folder on the C drive but the server is looking at them on another drive since I can not point it to a system folder on the C drive. But locations have not changed

Sorry, I didn't follow that statement...?

• 3 weeks later...
maximilianh75

Hello, I have a problem restoring the collection I make manually

I make a collection only, then use the backup plugin to backup.

When I re install emby server the user ID change. When I edit the user ID in collection to match with the new user ID and refresh in metadata manager all path in the collection dissapear 

I miss something in the way to backup a collection???

maximilianh75

No, I just think that this only works if absolutely nothing else in the environment has changed.

Ok One more question. 

What i 'll  have to do to backup my collections to later reconstrut it when (fresh re install server case)

Edited by maximilianh75

The best thing I can offer is to use Auto Box Sets if at all possible so that they can simply be re-created when needed.

Backing up and restoring them is apparently fairly fragile if anything is different.

maximilianh75

The best thing I can offer is to use Auto Box Sets if at all possible so that they can simply be re-created when needed.

Backing up and restoring them is apparently fairly fragile if anything is different.

But Auto Box Set work with custom own created collections ???

I Think only work with External database IDs like TMDB and TVDB

maximilianh75

Any way to manual backup the collections own maded???

I found that something it's related to library.db because when you delete this DB file you lost the collection previusly made it