Where / How are albums created

somechap

somechap

First, thanks for what looks to be an amazing piece of software.

I've scanned in all my music and some albums have appeared correctly but others not.  The common ground between all those which failed is that they are in one single parent folder (which has various artist / album folders below it).  

Emby seems to think that the parent folder is an album with hundreds of tracks, although Metadata Manager shows me that it has read the Album ID3 tags correctly on each individual track.

Does Emby make Album objects in the library based on the tags or on the folders? 

My audio tracks are not quite strictly organised as artist/album/track, but the same folder structure has worked fine with many bits of software over the past ten years or so (eg. Kodi, Foobar, Logitech Media Server etc), and I would much rather not re-folder if I can avoid it. 

Many thanks in advance for any help.

SC

Platform details:  HP Microserver > Ubuntu > Flac files with ID3 tags > Emby 3.0.5675.1 - let me know if you need to know anything else!

Deathsquirrel

A folder structure that works is:

c:\Music\Artist Name\Album Name.

Share the Music level.

Point the Emby library for music to \\servername\music or c:\Music with path substitution setup to redirect that to \\servername\music when needed.

There may be other formats that work for music organization but that works perfectly for me.

Does Emby make Album objects in the library based on the tags or on the folders? 

Well, now I don't know!

When I first started out, I threw my singles into the Artist directory unless I had enough from a specific album to warrant its own directory. I also had quite a few Amazon samplers that I updated to the actual source album instead of the sampler name. Those also went into the respective (album) Artist directory. Generally, what was in the ID3 tags would be what appeared in the web client after a library scan or two. However, there was enough that didn't get identified (maybe 2-5%) that I grabbed Picard and rearranged/cleaned up my stuff. Minus the root part of the path, I do what Deathsquirrel does and minus the occasional "Emby can't decide where to store the images" it works great.

You seem to have something completely different going on, but I am not sure why. It may be because I always kept "Artist" folders since I store my metadata there and missing Artist images is pretty much a given with my tastes and metadata sources Emby uses.

somechap

A folder structure that works is:

c:\Music\Artist Name\Album Name.

Share the Music level.

Point the Emby library for music to \\servername\music or c:\Music with path substitution setup to redirect that to \\servername\music when needed.

There may be other formats that work for music organization but that works perfectly for me.

Many thanks; re-foldering is a last resort for me really, though I could do it and I'm sure it would work.   I have quite a few other apps using these files, so it would be quite disruptive.

somechap

Well, now I don't know!

When I first started out, I threw my singles into the Artist directory unless I had enough from a specific album to warrant its own directory. I also had quite a few Amazon samplers that I updated to the actual source album instead of the sampler name. Those also went into the respective (album) Artist directory. Generally, what was in the ID3 tags would be what appeared in the web client after a library scan or two. However, there was enough that didn't get identified (maybe 2-5%) that I grabbed Picard and rearranged/cleaned up my stuff. Minus the root part of the path, I do what Deathsquirrel does and minus the occasional "Emby can't decide where to store the images" it works great.

You seem to have something completely different going on, but I am not sure why. It may be because I always kept "Artist" folders since I store my metadata there and missing Artist images is pretty much a given with my tastes and metadata sources Emby uses.

You're right, I mostly don't have artist folders (it's all classical music so artist is complicated as a tag, but that's a whole other debate!).

I've only just realised that Emby puts so much meta-content in the folder with the orginal media files (I'm quite new to emby).  I can understand that it needs to know where to store all this, and that not having the right folder structure might stop it from knowing where to put it all.

I'm thinking of two options:

1.  Somehow force Emby to ignore the folders and just read album objects from ID3 tags.  (This is how I expected it to work as it's how most music library software works.)

2. Make a set of hard links in the right directory structure for Emby.  This is less desirable as I'd then need to update in two places every time I buy a new CD / album.  That being said, if I could get a CSV of the paths of the tracks and their corresponding artist/albums then it would be easy to make a bash script to do this. Is that possible (eg. using the Emby report page)?

Many thanks in any case - further and better ideas than my two here are still very much welcome!

SC

Edited by somechap

• 6 years later...
somechap

Haha so I ended up making the hard links.  Python + Mutagen to the rescue!

I just have one directory per album in the root of the emby music library directory, in case it's of help to anyone in future.