New Interim Release 3.4.3.350 (Win 8/8.1 fixes)

7illusions

7illusions

Version 3.4.3.350 has been released, it should resolve the issues some were having with the app on Win 8/8.1/RT

Please Confirm as soon as you can.....Because

Waiting in the wings is 3.4.3.35x  that includes a lot of Playback fixes, new screensavers (Check out the Music Screen Saver for a preview)  etc

• Like 3

Vicpa

Hi gcoupe

Clicking on the hamburger menu upper left hand corner will give a the menu choice for setting, version number is now under general.

gcoupe

There is no hamburger menu in the Emby app. There is in other Windows 10 apps, just not in Emby (either full screen or windowed)...

As a result, I can't reach the settings panel either.

post-1131-0-67791200-1440524849_thumb.png

Ah - OK, I take it back; there are apparently three almost invisible dots (or are they lines?) in the top left corner of the title bar... It's not exactly obvious. If the title bar had high contrast, then I could see it, but this? My eyesight is not good enough.

Edited by gcoupe

gcoupe

Yes, but if you are not using a mouse, there seems to be no way to activate the menu... It often doesn't work with touch.

Edited by gcoupe
  • Like 1

gcoupe

A mouse seems almost essential. Using touch it is very hit and miss, particularly when the app is full-screen...

Edited by gcoupe

gcoupe

BTW, I do like the new Music screensaver - but can the background be made up album covers, instead of Movie posters, please?

techywarrior

I think the issue is that in Win10 you have to use the hanger menu (pull down slightly from the top) and it takes some practice with touch. Also the app itself uses the drag down from top to get the menu to appear when playing a video so now you have two things on the same hanler.

Due to MS removing the charm menu in WIn10 it would seem best for apps to not rely on that anymore and instead integrate a settings button, etc into their own UI.

It's unfortunate because I liked the concept of the charm menu. I just guess that most people didn't know it was there... and it defintiely was more practical on touch then with m/k.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi gcoupe,

The music screen saver should be showing background art for the artist that is playing, if you have some. If not you get the default screen is that what you are seeing?

Edited by Vicpa

FrostByte

For all my CDs I've scanned the artwork (Booklet, CD, etc) and put them in the extrafanart folder and the screen saver flips through those pics when listening to music and always shows the artwork that goes with the song being played while the name of the group and song are being displayed across the screen

Edited by FrostByte

arrbee99

On Windows 8.1 64-bit, app now starts and runs fine. A few other things

- can't see any hamburger icon thing, just get a pull down with 'Home' and 'Remote' on it.

- mouse sometimes disappears completely on Home screen but can be seen right at the top where the menu bar/close icon is. Can still see where mouse roughly is from where it highlights boxes though. But most of the time it works fine.

- is it supposed to transcode MKV files ?

FrostByte

The app shouldn't transcode mkv files for the most part unless it contains DTS audio.  This is a Win10 issue that still needs work

Happy2Play

On Windows 8.1 64-bit, app now starts and runs fine. A few other things

- can't see any hamburger icon thing, just get a pull down with 'Home' and 'Remote' on it.

- mouse sometimes disappears completely on Home screen but can be seen right at the top where the menu bar/close icon is. Can still see where mouse roughly is from where it highlights boxes though. But most of the time it works fine.

The app shouldn't transcode mkv files for the most part unless it contains DTS audio.  This is a Win10 issue that still needs work

Isn't mkv directplay just for windows 10 not 8.1?

arrbee99

Am on Windows 8.1 (for now) but anyway, don't know if its relevant or not, but when I play MKV files, in the top left hand corner it pops up '480p/mpeg2video/ac3' before it changes to 'ac3/h264', and transcodes. When I play recorded video (mpeg2 .ts files) it pops up '480p/mpeg2video/mp2' before it changes to 'aac/h264', and transcodes. Would have thought as its playing these files on a Windows PC there would be les transcoding (though admittedly I don't really know what I'm talking about).

Happy2Play

Am on Windows 8.1 (for now) but anyway, don't know if its relevant or not, but when I play MKV files, in the top left hand corner it pops up '480p/mpeg2video/ac3' before it changes to 'ac3/h264', and transcodes. When I play recorded video (mpeg2 .ts files) it pops up '480p/mpeg2video/mp2' before it changes to 'aac/h264', and transcodes. Would have thought as its playing these files on a Windows PC there would be les transcoding (though admittedly I don't really know what I'm talking about).

Well mpeg2video is not a native supported codec so it will be transcoded, needs to be h264.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/Hh986969.aspx

• Like 1

FrostByte

I can't even remember what Win8 looked like (tells you how quickly the old brain goes).  mpeg2 might be your issue

Happy2Play

From reading other post, I believe the app use MS media foundation and Theater and Classic use there own player and codecs.

Don't really know the overall difference in the 8.1 and 10 app.

MS introduced Media Foundation in Vista (I believe) as an eventual replacement. Most "modern" players that use Direct Show (like emby Theater) include their own internal codecs removing the need for additional third party codec installs as they can be problematic as shown.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24171-windows-10-app-inoperable/?p=239254

arrbee99

Ah well, if its behaving as expected then that's all fine, just thought I would enquire.....

gcoupe

Hi gcoupe,

The music screen saver should be showing background art for the artist that is playing, if you have some. If not you get the default screen is that what you are seeing?

Yes indeed. Not all my artists have art. I should also check what happens with albums that have multiple album artists.

gcoupe

I think the issue is that in Win10 you have to use the hanger menu (pull down slightly from the top) and it takes some practice with touch. Also the app itself uses the drag down from top to get the menu to appear when playing a video so now you have two things on the same hanler.

Due to MS removing the charm menu in WIn10 it would seem best for apps to not rely on that anymore and instead integrate a settings button, etc into their own UI.

It's unfortunate because I liked the concept of the charm menu. I just guess that most people didn't know it was there... and it defintiely was more practical on touch then with m/k.

The hanger menu ONLY appears when you are in Tablet mode in Windows 10. If you are in Desktop mode, then even if the app is fullscreen, you won't get the hanger menu.

Also, pulling down on the hanger menu only exposes the app controls (Home and Remote); it still doesn't give me access to the hamburger menu.

I can't help feeling that the UI design of this app is not yet working in Windows 10.

Vidman

The hanger menu ONLY appears when you are in Tablet mode in Windows 10. If you are in Desktop mode, then even if the app is fullscreen, you won't get the hanger menu.

Also, pulling down on the hanger menu only exposes the app controls (Home and Remote); it still doesn't give me access to the hamburger menu.

I can't help feeling that the UI design of this app is not yet working in Windows 10.

That is the apps hanger menu... There is also a windows hanger menu

Vicpa

Hi all,

I know I started some of this hamburger vs hanger discussion but even now I am confused :) LOL, In Release 352 I think @@7illusions came up with a nice solution. The hamburger has been replaced with a little emby icon in the upper left. That is always there unless you are in video playback mode. The hanger (I think) is what I call the app command menus are accessible via right click (and a least on my remote with the menu key,  hope a sign of more things to come) Not sure about the "hanger" because in some screens there is also a popup for commands at the bottom. ;)

Regardless seems to work for me. What are your thoughts.

Just got 352 this am anxious to see what other goodies 7illusions has for us.

-vicpa

Edited by Vicpa