Clicking "Actors" (People) Not Showing All Movies They're In for Library

gochiefs88842
Go to solution Solved by gochiefs88842,

gochiefs88842

Hello and thanks in advance for any input/assistance,

I'm currently running MBS Version 3.0.5713.1 and MBC 3.0.283.0.  My updates are set at the Beta level for MBS.

I've noticed recently that when clicking on actors and directors in both MBS and MBC, the full list of movies that they should be indexed against in my library is not fully appearing. For instance, I may click on the actor "Edward Norton" within the movie "Birdman" in MBS + MBC and instead of showing me all of the movies that he is in within my library (~ a dozen, I'd guess), it only shows one or two.  This behavior is identical for other actors, directors, etc. and does not appear to exclusively affect any one drive that my content may be on (I have movies on two drives and other content spread across five drives in total). The movies themselves are obviously accessible and playable across the drives, as well, including those which don't appear for Edward Norton and other people.

For what it's worth, this appears to be a fairly new phenomenon (i.e., I know the indexing worked fine in the past). I also haven't made any changes to where my ImagesByName folder is located.

Given that this occurs on both MBS and MBC, my assumption is that this originates at the server level.  I've attached a link for my MBS log here.

Once again, thanks for reading and I'll appreciate any guidance.

Happy2Play

There was a bug in one of the previous versions that caused this.  Have you verified the movies still contain people in the metadata?

Latchmor

Hi, as happy said there was a bug and I noticed it last week. A manual run of the 'Refresh People' task sorted it out. I was missing about 8000 actors from my movies!!

gochiefs88842

I have verified that the cast and crew do appear in the metadata and that their other movies (which don't appear in their totality when the actors are selected) do appear in the MBS and MBC.  Images provided below (reverse order):55db4be16356b_2EdwardNortonExample.jpg

55db4b99899f3_1CastCrew.jpg

Happy2Play

You need to check another movie he is in that is missing.  You already know Birdman is good since it is displayed.

Edited by Happy2Play

gochiefs88842

Just to be clear, the cast and crew show up within any given movie; what does not show up is, upon clicking an actor to see what other movies they are in within your library, is those other movies.

gochiefs88842

Per your request, another example of an Edward Norton movie (The 25th Hour) which did not show up when the actor was previously displayed in my earlier post (when clicking on the actor within the movie "Birdman").

55db4dedc111e_3EdwardNortonThe25thHour.j

gochiefs88842

Scheduled tasks said it was performed 9 hours ago, but I just did a manual refresh with no fix to the problem.

go to the movie in the metadata manager. do nothing and just click save. see if that helps.

gochiefs88842

I went into the metadata manager for that specific movie and saved and also went into to the parent folder (for me, it's "movies,") and saved afterwards, as well.  No improvement, unfortunately.

Latchmor

Scheduled tasks said it was performed 9 hours ago, but I just did a manual refresh with no fix to the problem.

Actually, now that my memory is working again, I also had to refresh my entire movie library once from the top level folder. However I imagine you've tested this by refreshing one so I think your issue is slightly different to what mine was...

gochiefs88842

Yeah, the refreshes on the movie(s) didn't appear to have any effect, either. Kind of stumped as to what caused this in the update?  It worked great in the past and was one of the cooler "show-off" features to show to friends who were seeing Emby for the first time!

Andrommy

I have exactly the same issue and been having it for a while. The problem seems to be in the movies Nfo file at the text under the given actor.

If I click on Tom Hardy for example, Inception is missing as movie he appears in. I go to my Inception movie folder and look at the Nfo. 

<actor>

<name>Tom Hardy</name>
    <role>Eames</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
    <sortorder>3</sortorder>
  </actor>

Menwhile the Nfo for Mad Max looks like; 

<actor>

<name>Tom Hardy</name>
    <role>Max Rockatansky</role>
    <type>Actor</type>
    <sortorder>0</sortorder>
    <thumb>C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\People\T\Tom Hardy\poster.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>

You could either refresh each movie individually or add the correct "thumb" path manually in the Nfo. This takes a lot of time of course and maybe this post will help to find a better solution.

Edited by Andrommy

The thumb tag is not needed (not sure it is even read).

The key here is getting each movie he is in refreshed and saved in the database.

Andrommy

The thumb tag is not needed (not sure it is even read).

The key here is getting each movie he is in refreshed and saved in the database.

Oh ok. So the Nfo only needed to be refreshed, (which happened when i edited it), not because I added that specific line.

Shouldn't there be an option to refresh all movies at once?

Shouldn't there be an option to refresh all movies at once?

Select one of your libraries in the Metadata editor.  Hit "Refresh".  Wait.

gochiefs88842

ebr is correct in that the manual refresh has yielded some cross-indexing.  In the example below, I pulled up "3:10 to Yuma" and the actor Christian Bale (whose cross-index for other movies in my library was entirely empty despite him likely being in over a dozen of my cataloged movies).  I then refreshed and saved Christian Bale so that "3:10 to Yuma" would then show up as a movie he was in when clicking on him within the same movie.  I then confirmed this had remained intact when pulling Christian Bale up within the movie "American Psycho."  I repeated the same process within "American Psycho," this time using Advanced Refresh to see if I could retain existing metadata and add only the new data needed--specifically the people indexing.  Thereafter, both movies were accurately indexed against Christian Bale's people profile.  These steps are generally imaged below.  My final step will be to perform an Advanced Refresh and Save of my entire movie library (which I expect will take some time) and I will subsequently update this post with the results.

55dc7bf69bbe9_310toYumaCastCrew.jpg

55dc7c5c9413b_310toYumaChristianBaleEmpt

55dc7c961205e_310toYumaMetadataRefresh.j

55dc7cd133996_AmericanPsychoChristianBal

55dc7d06594e9_AmericanPsychoMetadataAdva

55dc7d2cd5d76_AmericanPsychoAdvancedRefr

• Solution
gochiefs88842

Survey says: Manual Advanced Refresh (adding only missing data) for the entire folder/library (not just a specific movie) and then Save solves the problem.  This is obviously a slight workaround, though, so ideally future server updates may address this behavior so that no user action is required.

Thanks to everyone for their input and guidance.

55dc8f29ce9ec_ChristianBalePostAdvancedR

• Like 1

pclausen

Survey says: Manual Advanced Refresh (adding only missing data) for the entire folder/library (not just a specific movie) and then Save solves the problem.

So after starting the "adding only missing data" refresh, do you wait several minutes (or hours with a large library) before hitting Save at the bottom of the page?

I ask because I had 1759 people and after doing the above, it jumped to 1820, but with over 2300 movies, I'm obviously still missing like 99% of all my people.  Thanks

Happy2Play

So after starting the "adding only missing data" refresh, do you wait several minutes (or hours with a large library) before hitting Save at the bottom of the page?

I ask because I had 1759 people and after doing the above, it jumped to 1820, but with over 2300 movies, I'm obviously still missing like 99% of all my people.  Thanks

After the refresh you will need to run Refresh People task to add the people added to movies metadata. 

On one server I have 2500+ movies with 87,000+ people.

But the mileage may vary depending on your people settings.  (Metadata-Advanced-People)

pclausen

At the moment I have just Actors and Directors checked under people settings under Metadata-Advanced-People).

Yes, I used to have 80,000+ people as well until recently.

I have run the Refresh People Task and it completes in a few seconds (3 to be exact), so it is obviously not finding anything to refresh.

It appears that the only people I have, are the ones associated with Movies and TV shows added in the last month or so.

If I got to any of my older movies, they are not showing any people and I'm not able to add them back by doing a refresh.

Here's my 3:10 to Yuma:

3-10%20to%20Yuma.PNG

When I attempt a refresh, I just get that little wheel spinning forever:

3-10%20to%20Yuma2.PNG

Emby server is running Windows 10 and my media library lives on a FreeNAS server that I'm pointing to as follows:

embylibrary.PNG

I used to run Emby as a plugin under FreeNAS, but switched to a dedicated server due to performance issues running it as a plugin.  Come to think of it, when I switched to running Emby on a dedicated server is when this issue started I think.  I have "Everyone" set to full rights to the FreeNAS shares, so I don't think it is a permissions issues.  Besides, the issue is only occurring with old titles, not anything new I have added in the last 30-45 days.

Happy2Play

The log is the only way to check if you are having issue.  But I suspect the bug in  3.0.5675.X cycle cleared your cast and crew.  Have you verified People still exist in metadata?  Is Advanced Refresh repopulating that field?  I had to do a library refresh when this happened to me during last release cycle.

pclausen

Doing an advanced refresh on "3:10 to Yuma" and selecting "Add missing data only" as the refresh mode, does not add any people back to that title.  It just sits there and spins.

I'm not seeing any errors in the logs.

Since there are no issues with new movies that I add, I tried a simple experiment.  I moved my "3:10 to Yuma" folder to a place Emby doesn't scan, re-scanned my library and then validated the title was gone, it wasn't.  Restarted Emby server and now the title was gone.

I then moved it back in and scanned again.  Title is back, and it has people now, but no images:

3-10%20to%20Yuma3.PNG

I next forced a "Refresh People" task, which took all of six seconds, but behold, I now have images to go with my people:

3-10%20to%20Yuma4.PNG

Knowing this, I next went ahead and deleted my Blu-Ray media folder and verified that my movie count went from like 2,300 down to under 400, and my people count was down in the 100's.

I then added the Blu-Ray media back in and forced a media library scan.  When it was done, all my titles were back, but the people count was back in only the mid 1800's as before.  A People scan completed in 3 seconds again and didn't add anything.

So I guess the next thing I'll try is to move the contents of my entire Blu-Ray media folder (30+ TB)  to another location, re-scan, bring it back, and scan again....   I'll report back when done. (it will take a while). 

pclausen

Moving all my Blu-Ray titles to another folder and then back in, did not directly solve the issue.  After the re scanning of the Media folders had completed, my original movie count was back, but the people count remained around ~1,800 even after a refresh of those.

However, I was now able to go in and refresh individual Blu-Ray titles and have the people show up (without images), and then a people refresh would bring in the images.

So I next went into the Metadata manager, selected the Blu-Ray media folder, and kicked off a refresh.  Low and behold, tailing my server log, I'm now seeing activity.

While leaving the browser session running that's chewing through my Blu-Ray media folder (and doing other updates as well), I fired up a 2nd browser session and checked the people count, and it currently at ~8,600 and climbing.

So once it's done, I'll do the same trick of moving the contents of all my other media folders out of their original folders, re-scan, then bring them back in, and do a Metadata refresh.

Not sure why, in my case, I'm having to do this additional step, but at least it seems to finally allow me to restore my people data.

From the little spot checking I have been doing, it doesn't appear that I have lost my Watched status trackers.  My wife would kill me if I had, so that's a good thing, especially when I go to apply this trick to my TV Show media folder!
Edited by pclausen