Windows 10 Owners, what do you use?

Trevor68

Trevor68

As per the topic, I'm curious what people who upgraded to W10 are using for livetv. I have a Samsung H series tv, which currently is HDMI connected to W7 and using WMC/Emby Classic.

At this point I'm thinking of trying to use my 8" W10 Tablet and chromecast for awhile.

Trevor68

Well I'm guessing i need an app that I can install on a Samsung H series, as long as it has a working backend to match I'm easy. Not a fan of two apps though, one is bad enough, so it would need to do LiveTV AND my own media.

Your options are:

• Get a Fire TV, Nexus Player, Shield or Roku and re-purpose your HTPC for something else
  • Install Kodi and the Emby Kodi add-on and a Kodi Live TV solution (this does not go through Emby)
  • Hold tight for a bit and then try out the new Emby Theater when it is available
  • Stick with your current setup of W7/8 and WMC/EMC  (this is the only one of the options that will allow you to view protected content)

Vidman

Your options are:

• Get a Fire TV, Nexus Player, Shield or Roku and re-purpose your HTPC for something else
  • Install Kodi and the Emby Kodi add-on and a Kodi Live TV solution (this does not go through Emby)
  • Hold tight for a bit and then try out the new Emby Theater when it is available
  • Stick with your current setup of W7/8 and WMC/EMC (this is the only one of the options that will allow you to view protected content)

Well I'm guessing i need an app that I can install on a Samsung H series, as long as it has a working backend to match I'm easy. Not a fan of two apps though, one is bad enough, so it would need to do LiveTV AND my own media.

Pretty much the same thing I was suggesting here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22395-OTA-EPG&do=findComment&comment=240581 Edited by Vidman

Trevor68

No, EBR nailed it, especially the mention of protected content.

Emby Theatre might be good, if it is an app we can install on our TV's, will just sit back and see what happens.

Vidman

It's not an app you can install on your tv,emby theatre is a windows application

Edited by Vidman

Trevor68

Doh, forgot, Theatre will be a direct replacement for WMC/Emby Classic, which is precisely what I need, looking forward to it.

It's not an app you can install on your tv,emby theatre is a windows application

There you go making assumptions... ;)

wiretap

Doh, forgot, Theatre will be a direct replacement for WMC/Emby Classic, which is precisely what I need, looking forward to it.

Not quite. As far as I know, there will not be DRM content support for encrypted TV channels.

Not quite. As far as I know, there will not be DRM content support for encrypted TV channels.

That is correct but I think he just meant the features of EMC itself.

blauter78

When I first started using WIndows 10, I loaded Windows 7 media center in a Hyper-V instance that starts and stops with my computer. Couldn't play back live TV in the VM console but extenders and ServerWMC (through Emby) both worked fine.

EDIT: I know this may not work in your particular case but wanted to throw it out there for any one else looking to upgrade while keeping WMC running on extenders.

Edited by blauter78

archangelz

Switched to NextPVR after the whole windows media center being removed in windows 10 thing. Works okay, I found it was a little slower than WMC and the guide issue needed me to download mc2xml. 

Spaceboy

Freesat is free, as is implied by the name! Also in the same block of transponders are sky's UK channels which ar encrypted but there are ways of getting those too. I am a sky customer