Collections not working in Kodi as they do in Emby

gmacman

gmacman

I noticed that when viewing collections on Kodi movies that were in multiple Emby collections were not showing up correctly.  Instead, the movie would only show up in one collection (or "Kodi Sets").  So for example if I have a movie that is in both say "Detective" collection and "Comedy/Crime" collection it would only show up in one of those in Kodi (not both).

But of course in Emby you can have the same movie in multiple collections.

I was searching to see if I did something wrong during set up but I saw this post that mentions the same issue.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21184-tags-issue/?hl=collections&do=findComment&comment=207646

Is this something that could be fixed?

Angelblue05

Are you talking about Emby views or actual boxsets? Kodi can only assign the title to one boxset. However if you are simply talking about the movie not appearing under different library section, it's still on our to-do list.

Vidman

Why not just assign genres (which both your examples are) rather than create collections? Movies can have multiple genres assigned to them in both emby and kodi

The link you provided is a different issue.....unless you are using the term " collection" to mean media library rather than boxset

Edited by Vidman

gmacman

Are you talking about Emby views or actual boxsets? Kodi can only assign the title to one boxset. However if you are simply talking about the movie not appearing under different library section, it's still on our to-do list.

I'm new to both Emby and Kodi, so I maybe using the wrong jargon, but as I view the Emby server thru the web ui I can add movies into what is listed there as "Collections".  Which I can also manage via the Metadata Manager.  And I most certainly can add the same movie into several different Collections.   I've done that and the same movie will appear in the different collections I've added it to.

Now let's move over to Kodi and how it appears there.  While in Kodi on my FireTV those "Collections" show up as a submenu of Movies called "Sets" (I'm using the Metropolis skin, not sure if that matters).  However, within the listing of "Sets" a movie that was added to several only appears in one "Set", I believe the last one that it was added to (the last "collection" it was added to).

I hope this isn't too confusing.  I'll try to take some screen shots and post later if that would help explain things better.

Why not just assign genres (which both your examples are) rather than create collections? Movies can have multiple genres assigned to them in both emby and kodi

The link you provided is a different issue.....unless you are using the term " collection" to mean media library rather than boxset

The example I gave does bear a too close resemblence to genre's.  But I will have collections that incorporate movies that although maybe grouped in a genre, do not include the entire genre and will also include movies from different genre's.  My younger son for example has his "favorite horror movies" which actually don't contain things that you and I would consider "horror" films like Harry Potter movies (keep in mind my kid is 9 years old).  So collections work well for this purpose.  I just didn't explain clearly how I use them.

Vidman

Well you are in control of what genres you decide a movie is so I don't see why it won't work for you... Or even tags may be better suited for this use case rather than collections

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

gmacman

Well you are in control of what genres you decide a movie is so I don't see why it won't work for you... Or even tags may be better suited for this use case rather than collections

I'll look into this.  But I don't necessarily want to add a new genre to the metadata of movies but instead add movies to a playlist-like group.  Which is kind of what I thought collections were for.  But maybe I don't understand (wouldn't be the first time).

:wacko:

But I'll look into tags but the collections do work correctly with the other Emby players we use (andriod, roku, etc.) so I really think the kodi one should have the same functionality.

gmacman

In RTFM vein I just looked at the GitHub page for the plugin and saw this:

"...

Important note about user collections/nodes

Emby has the ability to create custom nodes/folders for your Media, such as having a seperate folder for your "Kids Movies" etc. In Kodi this isn't supported, you just have "movies" or "tvshows". But... Kodi let's you create your own playlists and tags to get this same experience. During the sync the foldernode from the Emby server is added to the movies that are imported. In Kodi you can browse to Movie library --> tags and you will have a filtered result that points at your custom node. If you have a skin that let's you create any kind of shortcut on the homescreen you can simply create a shortcut to that tag. Another possibility is to create a "smart playlist" with Kodi and set it to show the content of a certain tag."

So Vidman you were right and I'll look into using Tags.

Cheers