Emby Verison of Plex Requests

fredg89

fredg89

I think it would be awesome if we had an Emby version of Plex Requests. It would make life so much easier...All it has to do is send me an email and that would be a great start.

• Like 1

shorty1483

for us that don't know what that is, what is it?

http://plexrequests.8bits.ca/

A requesting instrument for content. Know it from Plex forum. As I look on what it is, I bet it won't going to happen for Emby.

Edited by shorty1483

Beardyname

ah, well the things they promote there as a best case scenario it's a grey zone :)

But if this is implemented with only tmdb/tvdb links it's not that impossible, (aka remove the illegal automated search thing).

In fact i remember seeing some other request for just this, could be wrong though.

Deathsquirrel

If you want this I suggest providing a use case describing how it will solve a problem for Emby users that aren't illegally downloading/sharing content.  So your kids are downstairs and finish a season of cartoons.  They want you to buy the next season on disc and rip it to the server.  Is there some pain there that this would help with?

shorty1483

If you want this I suggest providing a use case describing how it will solve a problem for Emby users that aren't illegally downloading/sharing content.  So your kids are downstairs and finish a season of cartoons.  They want you to buy the next season on disc and rip it to the server.  Is there some pain there that this would help with?

The only use case on this is that the kids are probably to fat or lazy to use the stairs imo ;)

Edited by shorty1483

MSattler

If this does get added, I think it really needs to be third party, and perhaps an addon/plugin that is hosted outside of the Emby sites.  In some sense automation of content download with the likes of Sickbeard/couchpotato etc could bring bad press for emby.  Since it touches upon potential illegal downloading, it should be treated the same way Kodi treats things like Genesis.  

Now that being said, it would be nice to have a request method for my family members to request movies, in particular my kids, so as the movies become available I can purchase them.

Deathsquirrel

If this does get added, I think it really needs to be third party, and perhaps an addon/plugin that is hosted outside of the Emby sites.  In some sense automation of content download with the likes of Sickbeard/couchpotato etc could bring bad press for emby.  Since it touches upon potential illegal downloading, it should be treated the same way Kodi treats things like Genesis.  

ROFL it 'touches' on legal downloading...and then recoils in horror I suspect.

Hey all, dev of Plex Requests here!

Some quick questions, what is Emby? It seems to be similar to Plex, or am I missing something? What is it that you want Plex (neh Emby) Requests to do exactly?

Regarding the legal nature of Plex Requests, if you want to be technical, it doesn't do anything illegal. It merely acts as the middle man. The various download providers that it ties into are doing the illegal stuff so to speak. If you don't enable/setup integration to those services, it's merely a request list that you can provide to users. The manner of obtaining the media is entirely up to you, and used in this capacity is entirely legal (assuming the obtainment of the media is legal).

I'm currently working on re-writing large parts of the application, which in turn would make it much easier to simply use as a request site you can self host that users can send requests in and you can manage them as you please.

If you've any questions please let me know, or open up an issue over on GitHub!

• Like 3

It doesnt do something illegal?

Thats like saying, but mom, i didnt rob the bank, i just drove the car.

It would facilitate piracy on the platform. As suggested it would be best as a third-party plugin with no association either in representation or legality. So its better to not ask too many questions. The more are answered makes this post look like a shady back alley for drug dealers. heh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It doesnt do something illegal?

Not if you don't have the third-party (to this third-party) applications installed. In that case it is simply a notification system.

Honestly, I don't need it (since my GF tells me what she wants!) but if it works without the automated downloading, then it is a queue where you get notified somebody wants to see something and then they get notified when it is added. I can definitely see automated notifications (not automated infringing) being valuable.

Just musing, but here is a real life example from this weekend:

I noticed that Season 2 of Agents of Shield was out on Netflix and since I have the DVDs for Season 1, I will be getting the Season 2 DVDs and adding then to Emby. While running errands, I stopped by the local big-box-electronic store and found out that Season 2 won't be out for a couple of weeks. Bummer, now I have to keep track of one more thing!

So, if I could add AoS2 to a notification queue and get updated when it was released on DVD that would be cool. If people could request/subscribe to "Season 2" and be notified once I ripped it, that would also be cool. Nothing remotely illegal unless format shifting is an issue where you live and your local **AA equivalent really wants to test the Courts on it.

I don't use Couchpotato/Sickbeard/Sonarr etc. so all of that integration is useless to me and automating those are probably what I would consider "facilitating" questionable actions.

MSattler

Not if you don't have the third-party (to this third-party) applications installed. In that case it is simply a notification system.

Honestly, I don't need it (since my GF tells me what she wants!) but if it works without the automated downloading, then it is a queue where you get notified somebody wants to see something and then they get notified when it is added. I can definitely see automated notifications (not automated infringing) being valuable.

Just musing, but here is a real life example from this weekend:

I noticed that Season 2 of Agents of Shield was out on Netflix and since I have the DVDs for Season 1, I will be getting the Season 2 DVDs and adding then to Emby. While running errands, I stopped by the local big-box-electronic store and found out that Season 2 won't be out for a couple of weeks. Bummer, now I have to keep track of one more thing!

So, if I could add AoS2 to a notification queue and get updated when it was released on DVD that would be cool. If people could request/subscribe to "Season 2" and be notified once I ripped it, that would also be cool. Nothing remotely illegal unless format shifting is an issue where you live and your local **AA equivalent really wants to test the Courts on it.

I don't use Couchpotato/Sickbeard/Sonarr etc. so all of that integration is useless to me and automating those are probably what I would consider "facilitating" questionable actions.

Totally agree on all of that, but the problem with it is if the add-on even hints at allowing automation it is going to get lumped in with it.  Personally, I want there to be zero risk of this platform being attacked by the **AA local equivalent because of one app/addon.

Deathsquirrel

This is a feature that could be moderately useful to people who aren't pirating materials or illegally sharing.  I'd call it about a P75 on the typical 5 dev priority scale for that crowd though.

• 7 months later...
Untoten

Plex requests dev has stated many times that he is unwilling to develop for or support emby or any type of centralized authentication that doesn't require proprietary Plex authentication.  It is incredibly disappointing that he would keep it so limited but that is where we are at.  He is willing to provide information to any hopeful devs, but unwilling to do anything himself whatsoever.

• 6 months later...
drashna

I hate to necropost, but ...

Considering the improvements, it'd really be nice if there was an emby version of PlexRequest, or some other way to request movies and flag files for issues. 

Why not start one of those bounty things? Where you pledge to donate a certain amount to whomever decides to build it, and then others join in too and contribute as well?

drashna

Why not start one of those bounty things? Where you pledge to donate a certain amount to whomever decides to build it, and then others join in too and contribute as well?

That's not a bad idea. 

Though, I'm not even sure where to get started on that.

pir8radio

Uhmm  Everyone does realize its illegal, in most countries, to even rip or copy a DVD that you own the original of right?   

That said, lets assume all of you bought digital copies of the movies that you have on your emby server...  If that's the case, then lets request that the Emby team install a feature to check for digital watermarks within our paid for digital movies, anything that doesn't have a digital water mark associated with us gets deleted...     Watch how fast emby dies........   I know this is a touchy subject with the emby team...  So the fact that emby exists in the first place insinuates piracy...   So I wish we could let go of the piracy card...  As it stands today, its up to the user how he or she uses emby, so excluding features that could possibly be used for piracy is silly, because emby itself COULD possibly be used for piracy...

I like the request idea, I think I asked for it a long time ago lol..

Edited by pir8radio

Apparently somebody here has done but they elected not to share it, probably because they don't want to handle technical support for it:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/1634

Maybe you can convince that user to share his creation. I'll even offer to build his feature request if it helps make it happen.

There is a version of PlexRequests that can be run without any integration or requirement to use/have Plex. I just added a link in the header navigation that links to that version of PlexRequests and changed the branding by editing the HTML/CSS to suit my needs. If you want to be fancy, you can load the URL in an iframe right in the Emby page to give the feel that the user is never leaving the Emby app. Of course, this solution is only good for users who use the browser interface.

Edited by bfir3

CharleyVarrick

This thread reminds me of a program I was using 5 years ago, called Movie Collectorz (with a "z" at the end).

There was a feature in there called "wishlist", so basically, all media you own had a default checkmark as "in collection", while media you wish for (because its not out yet, because you don't own it but wish you did, etc) you give those the wishlist checkmark instead. When you browse your collection, the wishlist items slightly stand out from the rest. Think of it simply as a reminder to be on the lookout for when Rambo 15 comes out.

I agree 100% there should not be anything remotely close to facilitating downloading material associated with Emby.

Edited by jlr19

pir8radio

I agree 100% there should not be anything remotely close to facilitating downloading material associated with Emby.

No one said emby should download content automatically...   They don't even want the "wish list" feature to be built into emby... Because, some how, it suggests pirating...   If my emby users suggest I add a specific movie to emby, someone is assumed that i will go out and download it...  But of course I will go out and buy it and rip it...

But WAIT......  That is pirating too...   Its illegal in the US to rip any DVD's even if I own them.. Hum...  So exactly how do I get a movie into emby legally???   Short answer is, you don't.   So what is emby used for if not movies?     lol this is a topic that can turn into a big argument...   I better stop...    :D

The requests app can be thought of as just a communication channel between users and administrator. To my knowledge it is not facilitating any illegal downloading.