PS4/PS4 App

RSAvenell

RSAvenell

I have been using Emby for a few months now and really love it.  I had previously been using PlayOn to access media on my PS3 and PS4.  While Emby works pretty well for the most part via DNLA, I was wondering if there were any plans in the works for releasing a true App for PS3 and PS4 that offers the same kind of view and features that the Roku app uses.  I really love the way Roku looks and works.  

Plus on the PS3 and PS4, I am not given the option of using different users, so all media shows up on the Playstation regardless if it is hidden from some users in the Emby settings.  I don't want my kids accessing certain movies or TV shows that aren't appropriate.  Using users to the Roku, they don't see that stuff, but on the PS everything shows up.

Just curious if anyone might know what it would take to add an official app to the Playstation store.

Vidman

In the emby server dashboard under DLNA you can select which user s library will be used... If you set it to your kids account only their content will be accessible via dlna

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys and Gals 

Are you able to provide a solid date of when an app for the PS4 or Xbox One.. Or both! will be available?

I recently signed up to emby subscriber :) i love how emby and kodi work together so kudos for that! In my house we have a combination of nexus player, xbox1 and ps4. The emby app and kodi both work great on the nexus player! (i use kodi..no offence :P

I was looking for an alternative to plex as im currently a plex pass subscriber :) i gave emby a solid go last month and found it great to use on kodi however to be honest, i found keeping the watched series up to date between both subscriptions (plex + emby) too hard. This month i cancelled my subscription to emby because there is no app available on all three devices. While i understand that the DLNA playback works,i personally find that apps have a way better appearance and provide ease of use for the family. If you can give me a solid date of when an app will be available for PS4 and Xbox One I'm happy to stay a subscriber to emby because i believe for the hard work you do, you should be paid! 

Sorry for the long post, i couldnt upload a photo of a potato. 

Regards,

S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
castanza128

Question: "Any plans for a real app? Is there an ETA?"

Answer: "Open your ps4 browser, and type....."

Why does this repeat OVER AND OVER on this forum, without a REAL answer?

This guy just said he dropped his subscription, because Plex has an app for PS4 and Emby doesn't.........you gloss over/ignore that, and mention the browser again?!?!?!

Edited by castanza128

dcrdev

Question: "Any plans for a real app? Is there an ETA?"

Answer: "Open your ps4 browser, and type....."

Why does this repeat OVER AND OVER on this forum, without a REAL answer?

This guy just said he dropped his subscription, because Plex has an app for PS4 and Emby doesn't.........you gloss over/ignore that, and mention the browser again?!?!?!

I highly doubt there will be to honest - the PS4 is a closed ecosystem and developing apps for the system requires a dev kit from Sony, which is extremely expensive.

With the best will in the world, Plex is just a bigger organisation and will probably have the funds to invest in the dev kit and quality control practices required by Sony; Emby just isn't that big at this moment in time. I'm certainly not ruling out Emby becoming far more mainstream, but in order to do that I think they'll atleast need to get the basic features like offline sync in parity with Plex.

In an ideal world anyway the PS4 operating system would just allow you to add a homescreen bookmark from the browser, just like any other platform. That and allow you to import your own certificate authorities like iOS, Android and Xbox.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
mata7

probably for the next 5 years, i mean take look how long they take to fix sync on IOS, but at least we got TerraMaster NAS devices server now, you know that something that everyone was expecting really bad

We are working as hard and as fast as we can to try and make everyone as happy as possible, thanks.

mata7

i know you are, you guys are like those restaurants that have 50 item on the menu and have one chef , you guys think that more is better, you dont finish one app complete and start working on a new one no wonder everything take years to finish, sorry but is just ridiculous, i bet you guys are working right now on a new app for RCA tvs or something like that

• 2 months later...
notla49285

If you hate Emby so much then go to Plex, good luck even getting one response from any of their devs let alone regular updates from the top

• 2 months later...
echekanskiy

PS 4 ecosystem is a piece of shit, thats why we don't have any kind of app for emby yet. Sony did not provides any public SDK to develop apps for their console. I was trying to get some devkit, but this crappy process consists of steps like this:

1) plan your app to the end, you need to have complete idea of product

2) wait for ages while sony will approve your app(also they can say "fk you, we have our mediaplayer, we don't need your emby")

3) pay several thousand of dollars for devkit

4) fight with sony to accept your app

5) ...

Regular developer can not just take some sdk and start to develop apps. Sony even can't provide some shitty javascript based platform for homebrew development... Don't blame emby team, just blame sony for their greediness for money, because you need to pay for every action on their console, even when you want to bring some good free!!! things to their platform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
castanza128

That was one hell of an answer!

Sounds about right.....and a quick google search shows people agreeing.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

We are working as hard and as fast as we can to try and make everyone as happy as possible, thanks.

Yikes I had just assumed there was an EMBY app for PS4.  Playstations are my main media player too. Hmmmm.

Luke, you cannot make everyone happy.  Stay focused, and make smart decisions. I think having an app for Playstation is smart, but you folks have better business insights than I do. Keep doing all the good work you have done so far.

Maybe I should try to build an appliance that is truly more open. FreeBSD is like that, it just needs a pile more developers to contribute to the cause. Hmmmm, now how can I raise a few million to start a new venture. :)

FreeBSD_Lover

I should add a lot of FreeBSD folks build their own media players.  An Emby Player 'port' build for FreeBSD, and 'listed' in the FreeBSD ports tree system, in my mind would also be smart.  Plex had that, for many OSs, and just abandoned it to the dismay of many people.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

Edited by FreeBSD_Lover

Yikes I had just assumed there was an EMBY app for PS4.  Playstations are my main media player too. Hmmmm.

Luke, you cannot make everyone happy.  Stay focused, and make smart decisions. I think having an app for Playstation is smart, but you folks have better business insights than I do. Keep doing all the good work you have done so far.

Maybe I should try to build an appliance that is truly more open. FreeBSD is like that, it just needs a pile more developers to contribute to the cause. Hmmmm, now how can I raise a few million to start a new venture. :)

Yea see post #16 for the PS4 challenges up against us.

I should add a lot of FreeBSD folks build their own media players.  An Emby Player 'port' build for FreeBSD, and 'listed' in the FreeBSD ports tree system, in my mind would also be smart.  Plex had that, for many OSs, and just abandoned it to the dismay of many people.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

I'm all for it. Just a question of time and resources.

• 1 year later...
zuberilol

Hi! I love emby so much I went ahead and grabbed a lifetime sub. I just tried the web browser method on my Ps4 and when I hit X to select a show it jumps over to the show 2 spots to the right instead of selecting it lol and if it's the first one off the rank I can't even workaround to select it, as a result the Web solution is currently unusable for me. Is there any news on the official Ps4 app progress? 

Edited by zuberilol
Workout that Ps4 uses the cursor for selection in the browser

8 hours ago, zuberilol said:

So I figured out why it wasn't selecting what I needed all sorted... However is there any progress on a native app? 

The issue is not about dev progress it's about sony allowing more third parties into their app store. More info in other threads here.

zuberilol

Thanks for the reply. 

Yeah I get it companies like plex have more money etc and Sony are arrogant bastards.. I didn't mean dev progress I meant progress on its possibility entirely, as in has there been any forward movement or should I just pack the Ps4 away, I was going to buy a logitech harmony hub to connect to the Ps4 so Alexa could control It, as the fire TV cubes aren't available where I am (cost effectively), so it was the next best thing.

FYI I used plex for years and got sick of their money hungry lack of support and inferior app/server. I was happy to switch to Emby, just curious on what the best platform to use is, especially one I can use alexa with in some way shape or form.