App - 'Quick ID' button for 'new' movies

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

If i add a few new movies to my library, they appear in the Movie posters but are without it's poster image until the server does a scan later.  So they're just grey.  I'd like a quick 'n' easy way for it to go and grab and show the poster.

For a movie that doesn't yet have any metadata, could it conditionally then have an 'Quick Identify' (Quick ID) button that appears on the mouse-over overlay, next to the 'three dot'menu button say, so that we can press that and it immediately searches the movie db and downloads the metadata and imagery, and then immediately updates the posters view to show the new imagery.

This would NOT give the usual search options, etc, just a one click search with the defaults.  So quick 'n' easy.

If the filename wasn't formatted correctly, or it didn't come up with what's expected, then we can just go through the normal procedure to ID it manually.

So this should work for 95-99% of new movies added.

Edited by topbanana

Vidman

Metadata is fetched as soon as the item is scan in... It shouldnt be more than a couple of minutes between the item showing up and the poster for it downloaded

Guest topbanana

I have a largish library and the posters don't show up for ages sometimes (the scans take hours). and if real-time monitoring is turned off? 

The grey place-holder is there, but there's no metadata or poster.

Plus i've had random movies that never got scanned, days after i'd done a clean-install... dunno why.  but the normal manual IDing procedure fixed them... but it takes a little time and many clicks.

Having the quick id button would just mean it's a simple one-click fix 99% of the time.

Vidman

Like I said... When the item appears in your library metadata should be fetched immediately after.... If this is not happening for you you may have other issues

Edited by Vidman

Guest topbanana

But i've always seen just the grey place-holders come up, long before the posters appear... and they don't have any metadata until then either.

If the server is scanning other stuff, it's not immediately going to scan the new movies, correct?

Guest topbanana

OK.

But the server can be busy for hours and hours going by my servers scans.

So this is when the Quick ID button comes in handy.

I've previously 'fixed' the missing posters (when i guess my server has been busy) by just going in and pressing the Identify button manually, but it's quite a few clicks and waits... laborious.   So a one-click id button would make it slick.

Then the poster comes up straight away, when i'd like it to. 

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

Instead of:

Hover - Click 3-dots - Edit - Identify - Search - Select result - Submit - pause... - Back - Poster!

Vidman

Well I don't see the need... But then I'm no dev so my opinion doesn't account for much:)

After you initial library import, scans should only take minutes not hours, how much new content are you adding? I think you have other issues

Edited by Vidman

Happy2Play

I have a largish library and the posters don't show up for ages sometimes (the scans take hours). and if real-time monitoring is turned off? 

Are you saying you have real-time monitoring turned off?  If so then yes you will have to manual identify or wait for your scheduled library scans.

You would need to post logs in order to troubleshoot what metadata issues your having.

With 5000+ movies and 600+ series a normal library scan takes between 3-5 minutes.

Guest topbanana

Well I don't see the need...

Lucky you.

After you initial library import, scans should only take minutes not hours, how much new content are you adding? I think you have other issues

I have 2,000 movies.  All posters are showing as of just now...  Scans always take ages.  I did a clean rebuild the other day, only AutoBoxSets added in.  I'm using an i5 laptop with 8GB of ram with 3G internet, which isn't bad, but not a fibre!

Long scans are the normal behaviour i've seen since i started using emby 5 months ago.  Settings are pretty std.  Library path is a network share from my usb3 hdd.

And i haven't even started to add back in the 10,000 odd tv shows that i have had in the library in the previous install.

My laptop spends hours cooking, with the fan at 100%, scanning after emby starts up...

I don't have a monster dream machine server setup like the ones pictured in the forum, jealous! and i'm sure the scans don't take long on those!

I get the impression that long scans may be pretty common reading the forums.   ...i'd love to know what the scans are actually doing!

But anyhoo it's partly irrelevant...

Any of us that are presented with a grey place-holder, for whatever reason, and are impatient/eager to see the poster would sure like a slick button to use to fix it.  Hover - click - done.

Guest topbanana

Are you saying you have real-time monitoring turned off?

It's on at the moment.  But previously i'd had it turned off on a previous install.

If so then yes you will have to manual identify or wait for your scheduled library scans.

Makes sense.

So the slick little Quick ID button would work very well here.

You would need to post logs in order to troubleshoot what metadata issues your having.

Everything shows up eventually.  It's all good if i wait.
But those grey boxes hang around for ages so if i want to see the poster i have to step thru the manual Identification procedure...

With 5000+ movies and 600+ series a normal library scan takes between 3-5 minutes.

Question.  How long did the initial scan take?  I don't think my hardware setup will do it that quickly.

Happy2Play

Question.  How long did the initial scan take?  I don't think my hardware setup will do it that quickly.

Well the initial scan took around 24hr or so.

Deathsquirrel

If your scans are taking forever the most likely cause in my experience is chapter image extraction.  Open the Dashboard > click Metadata on the left > click the Advanced tab > expand Chapters > uncheck 'Extract chapter images during the library scan' > save

That dramatically speeds up the process and reduces the CPU load of library scans.

Guest topbanana

If your scans are taking forever the most likely cause in my experience is chapter image extraction.  Open the Dashboard > click Metadata on the left > click the Advanced tab > expand Chapters > uncheck 'Extract chapter images during the library scan' > save

That dramatically speeds up the process and reduces the CPU load of library scans.

LOL, unchecked it, saved setting, restarted the server and the scan took 20 seconds! ha ha ha.

Sterling advice there Deathsquirrel!

This chapter extraction option is on by default, so there's probably a lot of users sitting there with melting servers running long scans...

I'll see what happens when i add some more movies in the next few days...

Guest topbanana

Hit "Refresh".

Ah, that saves lots of clicks!

Just didn't think to press that seeing as the Identify button is next to it ;-)

Guest topbanana

No, it's off by default.

Ah ok.

Somewhere along the line it's been turned on... I just don't remember doing so.

Did it used to be on by default?

Guest topbanana

LOL, unchecked it, saved setting, restarted the server and the scan took 20 seconds! ha ha ha.

Sterling advice there Deathsquirrel!

This chapter extraction option is on by default, so there's probably a lot of users sitting there with melting servers running long scans...

I'll see what happens when i add some more movies in the next few days...

I'll take that back... shut down and started up the server (rather than hitting the restart button) and it's sitting at around 66% with the CPU fan at full speed...

The "Extract chapter images for:" options were all unticked earlier... where as the "Extract chapter images during the library scan" was ticked...  Is this as good as it being disabled?  ...the default setting of Disabled?

Back to a hot laptop, no idea what emby is doing...