Lets Talk Access Control

zdog629

zdog629

So I am a happy convert from plex. Then install was smooth despite coming in where the service start command isnt working. I set up everything in less that a couple hours and I was off. Then I made user accounts and started making sure the externally facing site was routed correctly and so on. Then I realized as I confirmed that the externally facing site was up, anyone could stumble upon my server and use the accounts. I confirmed this by manually connecting to my server using the android application and selecting a user.

So my question here is can we add a separation between internal and external accounts? Perhaps we could force users to create a password or pin(better than nothing) when they first connect to the server?  

Koleckai Silvestri

You can edit the passwords for each user in the web client Dashboard. It is under Users. Just click on the user and add a password on the Password tab. You can assign them pin numbers as well. You can even set it so they don't need to use a password on the LAN but it is required on the WAN. You can also hide users so the person connecting has to enter a username and password to get logged on.

Finally in the Dashboard, you can outright revoke permissions from unknown devices and profiles. Just by clicking on Devices and deleting the profile.

I'd preset the passwords if you really want security. They can change it in the web client by clicking on their user profile icon.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

zdog629

Yes, I could do all of those things but that would require manually managing my user base. I also noticed that under the advanced tab for user management there is an option to disable users access to profile preferences. This says to me that the design to this point has been to keep all of the user control in the administrators hands. 

This seems counter intuitive. Granted when dealing with children in the system you are already going to be managing the parental controls so it is not much more work to then manage their accounts. However with normal users there is no way for the administrator to enforce any level of a security policy in an automated fashion. 

Luke mentioned this on July 28th. 

We don't store in plain text. The behavior you're describing only applies to the password reset function, where IPB emails the random password before hashing and storing. However, your suggestion of a mandatory password change at login is a good idea and something we can look into.

Now I know he is talking about a different system however I am advocating for a system within Emby that reflects this type of password or PIN change. 

Along the same lines in order to set a PIN you need to "unlock" the ability to do this by setting a password. I am curious about why this decision was made. Would it be possible to use an either/or type system? Users on mobile find it much easier to use PINs even if they are 5-6 digits. 

Edited by zdog629

Angelblue05

Agreed, it would be nice for an admin to require users to set password without having to communicate with said user. As you quoted, Luke said it was a good idea and something that could be looked into. So I'm sure we'll see something happen at some point.

However, I disagree with the PIN request. PIN is only allowed within the network, regardless of the device. On my phone, connecting to the server within my network, it would allow me to use either my PIN or full password. However a PIN by itself, would be a huge security flaw if you were allowed to use it outside the network because it's a very simple password. :) At least, that's my opinion on this.

For now, you can manually preset a password for your users and let them know to change it once they first log in to a password of their choice.

Vidman

Yes, I could do all of those things but that would require manually managing my user base. I also noticed that under the advanced tab for user management there is an option to disable users access to profile preferences. This says to me that the design to this point has been to keep all of the user control in the administrators hands.

This seems counter intuitive. Granted when dealing with children in the system you are already going to be managing the parental controls so it is not much more work to then manage their accounts. However with normal users there is no way for the administrator to enforce any level of a security policy in an automated fashion.

Luke mentioned this on July 28th.

Now I know he is talking about a different system however I am advocating for a system within Emby that reflects this type of password or PIN change.

Along the same lines in order to set a PIN you need to "unlock" the ability to do this by setting a password. I am curious about why this decision was made. Would it be possible to use an either/or type system? Users on mobile find it much easier to use PINs even if they are 5-6 digits.

Users can change their own settings if you allow them to, and most security services I've encountered require a strong password before allowing pin access ( thinking android devices , mobile banking apps etc)

Koleckai Silvestri

Is using a password over a pin that difficult since the user only has to sign into the App once?

I'd hate to lose the management of my users. Though I only have six users. Five Family members and a Guest Bedroom account. I don't want people outside my network using my collection.

zdog629

However, I disagree with the PIN request. PIN is only allowed within the network, regardless of the device. On my phone, connecting to the server within my network, it would allow me to use either my PIN or full password. However a PIN by itself, would be a huge security flaw if you were allowed to use it outside the network because it's a very simple password. :) At least, that's my opinion on this.

I agree, I would never like to see a PIN be availiable outside the Local Network! :) Thats just wrong.

Is using a password over a pin that difficult since the user only has to sign into the App once?

I'd hate to lose the management of my users. Though I only have six users. Five Family members and a Guest Bedroom account. I don't want people outside my network using my collection.

I use a password personally but I cant say that any of my users are yet. (They will be.) I am not saying we should lose the ability to control our users, only that the current system requires micromanaging passwords and access. Making users create a password after the first login is a step in making this more friendly to the sys admins. Also on the list is usergroups, but thats for later ;)

You mentioned that users only need to sign in once, is this related to the section under devices? Wherein users get a device associated to their account?

Edited by zdog629

Koleckai Silvestri

You mentioned that users only need to sign in once, is this related to the section under devices? Wherein users get a device associated to their account?

Whatever app you're using will store your login. I actually had to go into my Rokus and tell them to require a new login every time the Emby channel is opened so people used their own accounts. Before that they were all using the Guest account. Not really a guest account, that is just  the username I gave it. It has existed before there were guest accounts. It also has no password or pin.

I don't have to sign in on my desktop using the Web Client, my Kindle Fire or my iPhones unless I specifically logged out on the previous session. Since I control access to those devices (everyone in the family has their own computer, tablet and phone), I don't need to log out.