Adding to the Kodi (Emby) Library

EiEiOhh

EiEiOhh

Windows 7

Kodi 15.1

Emby nube longtime Kodi user

I was refered to Emby by angelblue in a Kodi forum to help me manage my library at home as well as while traveling.

Emby and the Emby/Kodi addon seem to be doing exactly what I need.

The way I understand Emby and Kodi to work together is...

Media is managed on the Emby server.

The Emby/Kodi addon is the link between the server media and the Kodi library.

The emby addon syncs the local kodi database with the Emby server and (in the background) keeps them in sync.

I am trying to figure out how to add TV Show subscriptions (Kodi Genesis Addon) and Movies to the library from the Kodi interface

I've added music and Photos to my Emby server and enabled the Music and phot addons in Kodi but I can't find a way to see the music or photos in Kodi.

Thanks for the help

EiEiOhh

yardameus

What theme are you using?  I know I had troubles seeing my music library in some themes.

EiEiOhh

I'm using Metropolis but, I just tried Confluence and two others with the same result.

Selecting Pictures brings up Picture Addons and Add Pictures.. . Selecting Picture add-ons and then Emby Brings me to what looks like the main Emby menu.. Movies, TV, Channels, Favorite Shows etc.. There is nothing visible there for Pictures (or music)

Angelblue05

Hey there :) pictures is still on the list of things to do. Music should be working.

Which version of Emby for Kodi are you using? 1.1.13 (stable) or 1.1.34 (beta). Also is your music library large? Make you sure have music enable in the addon settings > sync options. The add-on is a video add-on. To access/launch it, you should do so via Video add-ons.

To see you music, you need to access it via the music menu item, then enable music library mode. Let me know about your music setup. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Vidman

Windows 7

Kodi 15.1

Emby nube longtime Kodi user

I was refered to Emby by angelblue in a Kodi forum to help me manage my library at home as well as while traveling.

Emby and the Emby/Kodi addon seem to be doing exactly what I need.

The way I understand Emby and Kodi to work together is...

Media is managed on the Emby server.

The Emby/Kodi addon is the link between the server media and the Kodi library.

The emby addon syncs the local kodi database with the Emby server and (in the background) keeps them in sync.

I am trying to figure out how to add TV Show subscriptions (Kodi Genesis Addon) and Movies to the library from the Kodi interface

I've added music and Photos to my Emby server and enabled the Music and phot addons in Kodi but I can't find a way to see the music or photos in Kodi.

Thanks for the help

EiEiOhh

You can not add content to emby server from kodi

Angelblue05

The only way to do what you want with Kodi add-ons is if they actually create strm files. If they do, you can import those to your emby server, then Emby for Kodi will add them to your library and it should work as any other items and will launch the appropriate Kodi add-on when played in Kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

EiEiOhh

Thanks guys

I am using 1.1.13 stable. I'd be happy to try the beta and report back

My music library is about 5000 songs and sync is enabled

Whether I launch from video add-ons music add-ons our picture add-ons the selections are all the same and do not include music or photos.

I installed the theatre app for Windows and can confirm my photos and music are there.

As far as adding to the library, they are in fact seem files. Can someone post import instructions? Is there a way to automate the import process?

Thanks for the support

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Yes as I said, pictures are still on the todo list. :)

You can track our progress here: https://trello.com/b/qBJ49ka4/emby-for-kodi

You won't find your music library via the add-ons menu. They will be listed in Kodi's music section:

55d3e389d1572_screenshot021.png55d3e3967385a_screenshot020.png

For your strm file, it's very simple. Just make sure they are in a proper structure such as /Movies/MovieName/Movie.strm. This is the wiki on it, you can check other sections - they all have the a link to them in the Emby dashboard: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Strm%20files

55d3e507f2d65_medialibrary.png

Then in your emby server, just add the library folder containing the strm files. Emby should take care of the rest, such as metadata and artwork. Then Emby for Kodi will pick it up and import it into Kodi automatically. 

EiEiOhh

Ok... I am golden.

I can wait for the pictures feature.. Thank you for the link to track the progress

I now see my music. I had to activate library mode (saw that in your pic)

I was able to map my TV Show addon to a directory on my server. This is where the strm files will be placed. I have Kodi also running on the server so subscription updates will auto run on the server. The Emby server picks that up and updates all of the libraries. The only limitation, and this is not a big deal for me, is that I wound be able to add new library (strm) files when I am traveling or off my network. Again, this is not a big deal.

Assuming this will work outside of my network (I have no reason to doubt it will), This will be EXACTLY what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks to angelblue for responing to my post in the Kodi forums.

Emby has just filled a gap that I believe was missing from Kodi. Plex figuered out a long time ago that client/server was the way to go. Emby makes it easy to run multiple media centers on (and off) a network while keeping everything sync'd 

You can count on me to evangalize for Emby

Thank you all for your help

• Like 1

Angelblue05

You are very welcome. :) I'm glad you managed to get everything up and running.

To switch to external access (remote playing), simply enter the alternate server address (external address) and change the port number (only if it's different), in the add-on settings. You then need to enable play from http under the  playback tab and you should set the video quality as default or highest possible. Restart Kodi and you should be good to go. If your internet connection is good, you should be able to direct stream. If not, then it will transcode to match the setting you've set. I haven't had a chance to work more on the feature, but we are aiming to eventually make this seamless in the future.

Agreed with the strm files while away. It is something you have to set before being away.

Edited by Angelblue05

EiEiOhh

Oh yeah.. I forgot that part.

Actually, there is no reason I can't have my [travel] laptop permenantly configured with the alternate address even while connected to my local network.. RIght?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Correct. Just anything like metadata or artwork will be queried from your server using your alternate address. Playback is left unaffected, just if you want to direct play, remember to disable play from http (the setting is applied instantly, no need to restart). Play from http should only be used if you are away or having trouble with paths (local path are set but you are accessing via network, for example) because it will force playback to direct stream or transcode instead of direct play. Hope this makes sense :)

Edited by Angelblue05

Vidman

Actually, there is no reason I can't have my [travel] laptop permenantly configured with the alternate address even while connected to my local network.. RIght?

This depends on your local network s router capabilities

jmh2002

Or you can make a separate Kodi profile to use for travel enabling you to configure Emby with different settings for external access. This is relatively easily and I have had this working with either MySQL or Emby.

As far as new streams are concerned, on this travel profile you would need to be able to point Genesis to your home server TV Show folder so you can write to that folder from an external location. 

In theory this can be done. In practice I'm no expert. I think you need to enable FTP access to the TV Shows folder on your server, and then add that FTP as a source in Kodi. Then I think you can choose it as a library folder location in Genesis (again, on Kodi the travel profile).

The other very easy option is not to use the Kodi library for Genesis at all. You can use a "Trakt only" setup instead. Then it would work regardless of your location because it's syncing with Trakt instead of your home server.

You could still use Emby for your Music and Photos (when it's added) and other media stored on your home server.

Hope this helps.