Emby server and Raspbeey Pi B 2

Flatline

Flatline

Dear all,

I'm trying to optimize my home multimedia setup. RIght now I have kodi installations on a HTPC and on android devices, and I share the kodi library via mysql installed ona QNAP nas.

Trying to solve the slowness of this setup, I found about emby, so I'd like to test how faster this solution is. The QNAP package is not working for me as I have an ARM NAS, but as I had a spare RPi2 and I saw some posts around about people making it work, I decided to try it.

So I followed these steps:

1) Installed linux on the RPI2 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi)

2) Followed this tutorial for the RPi2 https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-install-emby-server/6364/8

However when I try to start the server:

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe --ffmpeg "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg" --ffprobe "/usr/local/bin/ffprobe"

or with

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe --ffmpeg "/usr/local/bin/" --ffprobe "/usr/local/bin/"

or even with

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

i get the error

"fmpeg unvailable. Please install it and start the server with two command line arguments: -ffmpeg "{PATH}" and -ffprobe "{PATH}""

Note that I recompiled ffmpeg as by instructions, and that it is accessible via PATH (just running ffmpeg) as well as from /usr/local/bin

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

Flatline

...I'm an idiot :)

The correct option is -ffmpeg, not --ffmpeg, with only one dash.

...I had to dig through the source code before realizing this :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hurricanehrndz

I hope you guys know there is an easier means to install this on rpi? We have arm binaries on obs in the ubuntu 14.04 distribution.

Hi, is working for you? Are you using the server in rpi2?

Yes sorry, forgot to reply. The system is working perfectly (albeit a bit slowly but hey, it's a ridiculously cheap PC we are dealing with ;) ). The issue was ALL inside the startup script files which invoked the emby server without parameters (which in the case of raspberry pi are needed in order to force the use of the compiled ffmpeg).

I hope you guys know there is an easier means to install this on rpi? We have arm binaries on obs in the ubuntu 14.04 distribution.

Yes, also I forgot to say in my post that I actually used the version in the repository. However the ffmpeg manual compilation is still needed (am I right?)

• Like 1

hurricanehrndz

There is a bin a user compiled, I have it some where and it was my understanding that Luke was going to make the system autodownload that specific binary for us. I'm not sure he got around to that

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

akshay2000

There is a bin a user compiled, I have it some where and it was my understanding that Luke was going to make the system autodownload that specific binary for us. I'm not sure he got around to that

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Actually, I tried with Ubuntu 14.04 repo and I get message about some unmet dependencies from  libmagickcore-6.q8-2. Package libfftw3-double3 is not installable. Any idea how to resolve that?

akshay2000

Dear all,

I'm trying to optimize my home multimedia setup. RIght now I have kodi installations on a HTPC and on android devices, and I share the kodi library via mysql installed ona QNAP nas.

Trying to solve the slowness of this setup, I found about emby, so I'd like to test how faster this solution is. The QNAP package is not working for me as I have an ARM NAS, but as I had a spare RPi2 and I saw some posts around about people making it work, I decided to try it.

So I followed these steps:

1) Installed linux on the RPI2 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi)

2) Followed this tutorial for the RPi2 https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-install-emby-server/6364/8

However when I try to start the server:

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe --ffmpeg "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg" --ffprobe "/usr/local/bin/ffprobe"

or with

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe --ffmpeg "/usr/local/bin/" --ffprobe "/usr/local/bin/"

or even with

mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

i get the error

"fmpeg unvailable. Please install it and start the server with two command line arguments: -ffmpeg "{PATH}" and -ffprobe "{PATH}""

Note that I recompiled ffmpeg as by instructions, and that it is accessible via PATH (just running ffmpeg) as well as from /usr/local/bin

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

Can you give me instructions for the ffmpeg compilation? I get Erros like ffmpeg is missing encoder libx264 and so on.

Can you give me instructions for the ffmpeg compilation? I get Erros like ffmpeg is missing encoder libx264 and so on.

It's here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-install-emby-server/6364/6

Anyway this is the part you are interesated in:

sudo aptitude remove ffmpeg

cd /usr/src

sudo mkdir ffmpeg

sudo chown `whoami`:users ffmpeg

git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg

cd ffmpeg

./configure

make && sudo make install

it will take AGES, let it run overnight.

Edited by Flatline