LiveTV Transcode at the Tuner?

BrianG
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

If you're on windows try the latest beta server, see if that helps. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
razzfazz

Finally had some time to install the beta server (3.0.5934.0) on a Windows box. It looks like it does try to avoid unnecessary transcoding in some of the cases; specifically, at the maximum bit rate setting, it looks like it's trying to only transcode the sound and pass through the video. Unfortunately, a variety of clients appear to be unable to play the resulting stream:

iOS client: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> aac; does not play (static picture w/ no sound)

Safari/Mac: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> aac; does not play (static picture w/ no sound)

Chrome/Mac: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> mp3; plays ok, but choppy due to extremely high CPU utilization (VTDecoderXPC)

IE11/Win7: video = h264 -> h264, audio = ac3 -> aac; does not play ("video error: there was an error playing the video")

Chrome/Win7: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> mp3; plays fine

IE11/Win10: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> aac; does not play (frozen picture, no sound)

Chrome/Win10: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> mp3; plays fine

Edge/Win10: video = copy, audio = ac3 -> ac3; plays fine

razzfazz

Also, it appears that Emby will always use the "heavy" transcoding profile (max quality H/W transcode), even when the client is set to a lower resolution and/or bit rate; i.e., if the clients asks for 720p, the server will pull the 1080i stream from the HDHomeRun and transcode it to 720p, rather than just asking for the transcoded 720p stream to begin with. What's worse, it's requesting the already transcoded 1080i stream, not the native mpeg2 stream, so the video is actually transcoded twice  -- and presumably with unnecessarily high CPU load, as transcoding 1080i h264 -> 720p h264 is probably more expensive than just transcoding the native 1080i MPEG2 stream to 720p h264.

yea i do see the IE issue on win10. i would think that can be resolved but IE11 on Win7 is not going to happen. It's too difficult, and there are not enough people using it at this point to force us to look at a specific solution just for it. IE11 on Win8/10 is actually not the same and has additional features that allow us to use better techniques. I'll look at the others.

razzfazz

Yeah, ignoring Win7 at this point seems fine; just wanted to throw out all the data points that I have. I really only care about te iOS client.

razzfazz

(Which incidentally seems to use the same transcoding options as IE11 on Win10, so hopefully resolving the problems with the latter would also take care of the former.)

• 1 year later...