How to prevent Transcoding ?

Deihmos

Deihmos

How can I prevent videos from transcoding? I have a video with 2 audio tracks and it is transcoding. It says stream copy instead of direct play like all the other videos. The TV is capable of playing the video without the need to transcode. Is there any setting for this? Is there a max bitrate before it transcodes?

When I try to change audio tracks everything looks up. Is this a known bug?

Edited by Deihmos

FrostByte

Can you post a mediainfo shot of the movie that is transcoding?

I never have more than one audio track, but never heard of the app locking up when selecting a different one either.  Someone else will need to chime in there

FrostByte

Ahh, forgot about that.  Ya, chess hasn't gotten to that yet.  Right now the best option is probably just to remux the correct audio as the default if it's locking up.

If you can print screen the mediainfo for your movie I might be able to see why it's transcoding.  It really could be lots of things (audio type, # of channels, bitrate, etc).  Usually if you click "Info" on your remote while it's playing it will tell you what part of the movie it's transcoding.  It will say something like "Transcoding for audio".   The app's log may also say why. 

You can change the max bitrate in the settings in the app if it's transcoding for bitrate. 

shorty1483

Can confirm this behaviour. Until now I wasn't able to change just one audio track inside the Play screen. Referring to transcoding. If you have a H Series, the only tracks which should transcode atm are DTS HD HRA and DTS-ES like @@FrostByte knows ;):P

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

Deihmos

No I don't use the phone to send to TV. I have never seen a bitrate setting in the Samsung app. You sent me the instructions to install the Samsung app. I already have it.

Edited by Deihmos

FrostByte

Click Tools...Settings...TV Settings.   The bitrate of your file doesn't look very large though.   If you hit "Info" while playing does it say what it's transcoding?   Also, if you're in the settings check the log

FrostByte

Can confirm this behaviour. Until now I wasn't able to change just one audio track inside the Play screen. Referring to transcoding. If you have a H Series, the only tracks which should transcode atm are DTS HD HRA and DTS-ES like @@FrostByte knows ;):P

Well...actually they shouldn't, but they do :)  which really sucks because some of my favorite movies like LOTR, Reservoir Dogs, Star Wars etc are all DTS-ES

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

shorty1483

Well...actually they shouldn't, but they do :)  which really sucks because some of my favorite movies like LOTR, Reservoir Dogs, Star Wars etc are all DTS-ES

We're in the same boat, exactly with the same movies :D except from Star Wars BluRay, German DTS HD MA :P

• Like 1

Deihmos

The server says it is transcoding but I don't see ffmpeg kicking in or anything. On the TV it says direct streaming but the other videos I tried said direct playing. 

post-164-0-49672500-1439502571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deihmos

FrostByte

I'm not sure what the difference between the two is.  Usually it says transcoding on the info screen if it's transcoding.  Also, the Emby TV app's log would say transcoding

shorty1483

I recognized a similar behaviour in the Server/Samsung Client comparison. E.g. when I play a movie with H264 and DTS, the Samsung App Info Screen during playback says direct play, but the Dashboard Info on Server and Samsung App log say Direct Streaming. Even when my language is the default and first audio track.

I'm pretty sure my Path Substitutions are correct, when I enter them in Windows explorer, I enter the correct folder.

edit: Ok, found that one:

None of my videos direct play, all direct stream (the server passes the video to the player, the tv's dont have network share capability) so im almost certain it isnt a path issue (unless you have issues in other clients) - VOB support is very limited, and its most likely that that is causing the  problem.

Also crosschecked on Kodi and Direct Play works, so everything seems fine :D

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1