windows pc server to windows htpc client transcoding?

braddles69
Go to solution Solved by MSattler,

braddles69

HI, I have a curious question. My synology NAS is offline due to failed HDD, so I setup a server2 user account on my windows office PC, and use this as the server for a smaller selection of movies and tv shows that are backed up on this pc to my main htpc rig in the living room. I shut down the emby server on my htpc and let emby connect to the office pc.These are both on the same gigabit lan.

The htpc when using  the emby server would be the local host and all material was situated on my synology nas, would direct stream everything.

However, now while using the server of the office pc, and it's "server2" user account, all files are being transcoded before being received via the htpc.

Is there a setting I am missing, or should I set up the "server2" user account on the htpc, and let it act as server and client with the office pc being the "dumb" server?

Anybody understand what I am trying to say...kind of confusing isn't it? Just wanting to know if I set it up ass backwards...boy I miss my NAS....anybody got a spare 5tb hdd so I can rebuild my raid?

Cheers

• Solution
MSattler

Did you add the new server/content as a mapped/local drive?  Direct Play will only work if you point at a network share like \\office2\somesharename.

• Like 1

MSattler

HI, I have a curious question. My synology NAS is offline due to failed HDD, so I setup a server2 user account on my windows office PC, and use this as the server for a smaller selection of movies and tv shows that are backed up on this pc to my main htpc rig in the living room. I shut down the emby server on my htpc and let emby connect to the office pc.These are both on the same gigabit lan.

The htpc when using  the emby server would be the local host and all material was situated on my synology nas, would direct stream everything.

However, now while using the server of the office pc, and it's "server2" user account, all files are being transcoded before being received via the htpc.

Is there a setting I am missing, or should I set up the "server2" user account on the htpc, and let it act as server and client with the office pc being the "dumb" server?

Anybody understand what I am trying to say...kind of confusing isn't it? Just wanting to know if I set it up ass backwards...boy I miss my NAS....anybody got a spare 5tb hdd so I can rebuild my raid?

Cheers

Actually, you may want to ensure you setup the share permissions correctly.  Ensure the directory permissions, and share permissions, allow everyone/guest full read permissions.   Without that, the HTPC may be trying to get to the share, but ends up being blocked.   Also ensure the HTPC can see the share from the network and that the firewall is not blocking it on the office PC.

braddles69

Did you add the new server/content as a mapped/local drive?  Direct Play will only work if you point at a network share like \\office2\somesharename.

Thanks, that did the trick, perfectly, previously it was all UNC, but now Path Substitution is fine for what I need...at least until my NAS is back and healthy.

Cheers

Thanks, that did the trick, perfectly, previously it was all UNC, but now Path Substitution is fine for what I need...at least until my NAS is back and healthy.

Cheers

Assuming the drives are actually local to the Emby server, path substitution is actually better than the direct UNC references in the library because it won't use network resources to access the local content.

Either way will work it is just a lot easier for people to directly enter the UNC paths rather than go to the extra step of path substitution.

If, however, the drives are not local, you do want to avoid mapped drives as those are just problematic.

• Like 1