New Now TV Box

Swynol

@@radeon, if you go to the home screen, and choose:

Settings >> System >> About

What does it call itself in the "model" section?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

radeon

@@radeon, if you go to the home screen, and choose:

Settings >> System >> About

What does it call itself in the "model" section?

Ah, it is actually a "4200SK - Roku 3"

I did consider doing this, but didn't do it ;-)

I think I had to do this for some other setting a long time ago.

I'll give it a go when I get a chance

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, it also forgot the server address.  My server is at home and I am workng away.  I have to enter my server address everytime after I've pressed the home button on my NowTV remote and then gone back to emby.

thanks

fd16a02bf6ccd00615e3f7582705ce89.jpg
If you already have this marked yes, you may need to toggle it, no then back to yes again. After that it should remember the user. I've had to do this before occasionally.

Edited by csjjpm

cw-kid

So it sounds like the Emby app is working OK on this new Now TV box ? I am just about to buy one for my Parents. They already have the original Now TV box and that has been working well but being able to play 1080p content would be a massive bonus as is the Ethernet. 

Cheers

cw-kid

Some times their old now TV box forgets which server its meant to be connected too and I have to tell it to connect to the server again. Not sure why this happens? Maybe if the WIFI connection is lost on it? As its done that a few times as well. 

radeon

So it sounds like the Emby app is working OK on this new Now TV box ? I am just about to buy one for my Parents. They already have the original Now TV box and that has been working well but being able to play 1080p content would be a massive bonus as is the Ethernet. 

Cheers

Yo! Yeah, works perfectly, and is lightning fast over local gigabit Ethernet for me (dunno if is supports gigabit but that's all i run everywhere) I haven't actually used it much as I got it for free and also have the fire TV running Kodi which I'm really loving!

One thing i will say is i had quite a lot of trouble kicking it into developer mode. When i first got it, now tv were having a massive outage on box activations so i did wonder if it was something related to that. I just turned it off and went back to it a couple of days later and it worked first time. 

Some times their old now TV box forgets which server its meant to be connected too and I have to tell it to connect to the server again. Not sure why this happens? Maybe if the WIFI connection is lost on it? As its done that a few times as well. 

This sounds similar to behaviour i have seen with remote users when my server goes down or my internet. Basically, if it wont connect, it just flops and falls back to the default screen. To make it easy for my remote users, I just edit the ServerScreens.brs file with my address, so its a fairly painless process to get back up and running. 

Just look for this line 

screen = GetViewController().CreateTextInputScreen("Enter Server Address", "Server Address (ex. 192.168.1.100 or https://myserver.com)", ["Server Setup"], "{here}", false)

and put your domain/ip in where i have put {here} (obv that {here} doesn't actually exist in the code)

Another thing I have "rolled out" is to make sure the remote users forward port 80 and 8060 to the box. 

80 gives me remote access to the box's dev mode and the 8060 gives me remote control from my mobile phone! :-P

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exavore.rokumote and just enter the users remote ip into the config and im in full control, then from my laptop, i login to the dev mode and just pull a screenshot each time i make a button press on the remote. 

All just little things i have done over the months to make life easy for myself! I hope some of it helps! :-D

Edited by radeon
  • Like 2

cw-kid

Wow thanks for the great tips! I will certainly look in to the suggestions you made.

I have just bought the new box £14.99 from the Now TV site.

Cheers

• Like 1

radeon

Wow thanks for the great tips! I will certainly look in to the suggestions you made.

I have just bought the new box £14.99 from the Now TV site.

Cheers

No probs, if you get stuck or have any more questions, just reply here or drop me a pm. :-)

cw-kid

No probs, if you get stuck or have any more questions, just reply here or drop me a pm. :-)

Excellent thank you very much, I can do the router port forwarding no problem, although they will have two Now TV Boxes when this new one arrives, so I guess I can only really port forward to one of them.

They currently have a Virgin media router but that's changing to TalkTalk soon.

Plan to put the new black box in the lounge and the old white box in the spare bedroom for when the kids visit them.

Will have to try and figure out how to edit the ServerScreens.brs file as well.

Cheers

CBers

Another thing I have "rolled out" is to make sure the remote users forward port 80 and 8060 to the box. 

Doesn't port-forwarding 80 to the box cause problems on the router itself ?? Remote access will be a different port, so I guess you manage that remotely as well :D

A good couple of tricks there though Mr @@radeon :)

• Like 1

CBers

They currently have a Virgin media router but that's changing to TalkTalk soon.

No, don't do it :)

I've heard TalkTalk are worse than most ISPs. Why are they switching ??

I've never really had a problem with VirginMedia (cable) since I started with them 15 years ago.

cw-kid

He's had problems with Virgin with their billing and packages in the past, I had to write to Richard Branton's executive office in the end to get things resolved for them.

So I think he just had enough of Virgin. I've never used TalkTalk before myself but the new package they are going for looks OK. Can't be any worse than BT they are all as bad as each other for customer service.

• Like 1

cw-kid

Doesn't port-forwarding 80 to the box cause problems on the router itself ?? Remote access will be a different port, so I guess you manage that remotely as well :D

Not normally but you can only port forward port 80 or any port number usually once to one internal box.

I know on my BT fibre router I could not port forward 80 to my file server and to my XBOX as well at the same time.

radeon

Nah, although, I don't actually use 80 for the external. If 80 is used for anything by the user, the router often switches to 8080 for remote management. But again, i don't use that either. I always change all of my ports from the defaults as a security measure/ 

No, don't do it :)

I've heard TalkTalk are worse than most ISPs. Why are they switching ??

I've never really had a problem with VirginMedia (cable) since I started with them 15 years ago.

Been with talk talk for maybe 11 years and never had a problem with their service, however their customer service is probably the worst I have ever had, well on a par with EE/Orange actually. They have never been able to get anything right!!!

He's had problems with Virgin with their billing and packages in the past, I had to write to Richard Branton's executive office in the end to get things resolved for them.

So I think he just had enough of Virgin. I've never used TalkTalk before myself but the new package they are going for looks OK. Can't be any worse than BT they are all as bad as each other for customer service.

The new routers software is shocking, I switched back to my HG533 router as it just works. I was getting all sorts of ports being randomly blocked with the HG635 and HG633

Not normally but you can only port forward port 80 or any port number usually once to one internal box.

I know on my BT fibre router I could not port forward 80 to my file server and to my XBOX as well at the same time.

You can never forward the same port to multiple devices from wan to lan. That's where making use of external to internal port translations comes in.

Touching what I said above about not using port 80 externally, as the Now TV/Roku boxes are expecting traffic on port 80, its has to be seen as that internally on my network, so when configuring the port forwarding on the router, I set the external port to be say 81 and the internal port to 80 going to say 192.168.0.100 then port 82 going to the internal port of 80, but to 192.168.0.101. That way, when I want to remotely manage two boxes remotely from my home to theirs, I login via http://{their_external_ip}:81 for one box and http://{their_external_ip}:82 for the other. 

Also, the Now TV boxes don't seem to allow manual configuration of their IP settings, so the thing to do is make sure you have dhcp enabled on the router within a range of say 100 - 150, then setup a DHCP IP reservation based on the MAC address of the Now TV box so always assign it the IP address of say, 192.168.0.100, so the above port forwarding works all the time after a box/router reboot etc.

EDIT: oh, and I don't have Virgin where I am, otherwise I would probably have It, however, fibre was only recently rolled out here so its pretty new tech and bloody fast!!

Edited by radeon
  • Like 1

cw-kid

That's handy, so I could have changed the external port for the XBOX from 80 to say 85, but still have that then translated to the internal port 80 for the XBOX.

Here is a screen shot from my BT router. 

55e6fa5ba18ec_XBOXPorts.png

Because I had two "user defined applications" both containing the external port 80 one for the XBOX and one for the WHS 2011 box the BT router would not let me continue and have both enabled at the same time etc. 

Edited by cw-kid

radeon

Yeah, that's right, although, it depends on the use of the 80. Is it so you can manually connect to it through a browser or something, or is it for some service that connects to it? 

If it's a service, they will be expecting to connect on 80, not 85.

cw-kid

Well port 80 on the WHS 2011 box is for remote access and port 80 on the XBOX I don't know, that is just one of the ports Microsoft support say to port forward. 

So might be better changing the WHS user defined application on the BT router then and leaving the XBOX one as 80. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Just look for this line 

screen = GetViewController().CreateTextInputScreen("Enter Server Address", "Server Address (ex. 192.168.1.100 or https://myserver.com)", ["Server Setup"], "{here}", false)

and put your domain/ip in where i have put {here} (obv that {here} doesn't actually exist in the code)

Should the domain name be in the quotes? "http://mydomain.com" or without the quotes?

Thanks

Hasn't anyone hacked this yet?? I know the last one was locked down but the newer ones were more hackable weren't they???

radeon

Hasn't anyone hacked this yet?? I know the last one was locked down but the newer ones were more hackable weren't they???

Hacked what? The FW so it runs Roku FW? That'd be nice!

• Like 1

CBers

In terms of what type of hack ??

The developer mode is still available, which allows you to side-load the Emby app.

• Like 1

cw-kid

i dont actually put the http:// in, but yeah, include the quotes. :-) 

OK thanks I will remove the http:// but keep the quotes  :)

In terms of what type of hack ??

The developer mode is still available, which allows you to side-load the Emby app.

They tried to hack the last one to a roku fw, was hoping they'd try this... @xdadevelopers