webclient recursive library scan missing mediainfo

jody

hi there,

not sure if this is the right place to post or if it should have gone to linux or another thread. I run emby Version 3.0.5675.1 on kernel 3.2.0.88

Here my issue:

For some files in my library i'm missing the mediainfo of the video file (I do have the metadata, such as episode summary etc. that is not the issue). Normally, when you browse to a video file in the webclient at the bottom you will see the mediainfo. This is not the case for me, for most I do see mediainfo, but for some it shows only "container" and "path". This becomes a problem when you want emby to transcode the file as it requires this info. When I go to the metadata manager and I do a an "advanced refresh" with "add missing data" it does its thing and the missing mediainfo appears and transcoding works as well.

This works recursive to one level only it seems, e.g. so if do an advanced refresh on the structure below it works:

folder1

-sample.avi [mediainfo is missing]

I do an advanced refresh and:

folder1

-sample.avi [mediainfo is there]

What does not work is and would mean to go through each folder individually (which is too much work):

folder1 (e.g. tv shows)

-subfolder1 (e.g. show1)

-sample.avi (e.g. episode) [mediainfo missing]

Also not working:

folder1 (e.g. tv shows)

-subfolder1 (e.g. show1)

-subfolder2 (e.g. season)

-sample.avi (e.g. episode)  [mediainfo missing]

or also not working

folder1 (e.g. tv show)

-subfolder1 (e.g. show1)

-subfolder2 (e.g. season)

-subfolder3 (e.g. episodes in folders)

-sample.avi (e.g. episode)  [mediainfo missing]

So how to get emby to scan and add (missing) mediainfo in a recursive manner for all subfolders and the files therein? 
I have a scheduled task set to scan my library every 24 hours, but this info is not being added.

Edited by jody

and this doesn't happen with windows? does this happen with other media types? how about movies?

shorty1483

and this doesn't happen with windows? does this happen with other media types? how about movies?

This was also my problem with the recursive scan. Also use classic TV show structure (Series Name -> Season X -> Episode) and had to rescan every series because it's not working from top level folder. It scans series and season data, but no episode.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

Tranquil

I also had this problem on my windows machine from time to time. Dont know why. I just renamed the media file in my media folder and then rescanned my library. In most cases it is then correctly scanned.

• Like 1

no idea, i'm only using linux, same behaviour with movies as well

I also had this problem on my windows machine from time to time. Dont know why. I just renamed the media file in my media folder and then rescanned my library. In most cases it is then correctly scanned.

my problem is not related to naming but rather recursive issue as i or shorty1483 describe, but thx for input :)

Tranquil

I know the issue is not the naming related, but by renaming the file emby recognised the changes and correctly grabbed all meta data and file information.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9506 mit Tapatalk

I know the issue is not the naming related, but by renaming the file emby recognised the changes and correctly grabbed all meta data and file information.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9506 mit Tapatalk

Okay, though that is not feasible in my scenario unless I want to spend hours on renaming files, any other ideas?

bump: is there any way to initiate a library scan that will re-cursively scan folders and add missing mediainfo? I'm missing a lot now, too much to do it manual one by one

Edited by jody

gmacman

bump: is there any way to initiate a library scan that will re-cursively scan folders and add missing mediainfo? I'm missing a lot now, too much to do it manual one by one

I too am having this same issue with FreeBSD (using the FreeNAS plugin). Issue being files not picking up media info (runtime, video info like codec, resolution, etc. or audio info, codec, channels, etc.).  

All files are mkv’s and I’ve tried to diagnose this by running them thru MediaInfo myself but everything seems okay.

How does Emby acquire this info?

StealthDefender

I too am having this same issue with FreeBSD (using the FreeNAS plugin). Issue being files not picking up media info (runtime, video info like codec, resolution, etc. or audio info, codec, channels, etc.).  

All files are mkv’s and I’ve tried to diagnose this by running them thru MediaInfo myself but everything seems okay.

How does Emby acquire this info?

i have discovered the same issue today. Sometimes it worked for me for example if i replace a movie from [720p] to [1080p] after a short time emby server has updatet the .nfo file.

But today it seems like there is nothing going on ..... tried a full rescan but nothinh happened!

Edit: Now after half an hour the metadata was fullfilled correctly in the server, after a manual save the nfo was updatet too!

Have a closer look to other entries in database.....strange in some way!

Greetz Stealth

gmacman

i have discovered the same issue today. Sometimes it worked for me for example if i replace a movie from [720p] to [1080p] after a short time emby server has updatet the .nfo file.

But today it seems like there is nothing going on ..... tried a full rescan but nothinh happened!

Edit: Now after half an hour the metadata was fullfilled correctly in the server, after a manual save the nfo was updatet too!

Have a closer look to other entries in database.....strange in some way!

Greetz Stealth

Well, although a problem for you, metadata is not exactly what we're talking about.  The issue the OP is discussing is missing media info data (for example, the codec, the video resolution, etc.) things that are acquired from a program like mediainfo.  This information is not necessarily part of an nfo (although it can be).   But regardless, I don't use nfo's.

Some (actually about 1/3 of the library) of my files aquire the correct media info data but most do not.

I can see from my logs that when new movies are added it shows that something called MediaEncoder is running as follows:

"MediaEncoder: Running MediaInfo against..."

But is that where Emby is getting the mediainfo from?  And if so, is there a way to "deep scan" the library to reaquire the media info data?  When I just rescan the library, this message does not happen (only when new items are added to the library).

Happy2Play

Well, although a problem for you, metadata is not exactly what we're talking about.  The issue the OP is discussing is missing media info data (for example, the codec, the video resolution, etc.) things that are acquired from a program like mediainfo.  This information is not necessarily part of an nfo (although it can be).   But regardless, I don't use nfo's.

Some (actually about 1/3 of the library) of my files aquire the correct media info data but most do not.

I can see from my logs that when new movies are added it shows that something called MediaEncoder is running as follows:

"MediaEncoder: Running MediaInfo against..."

But is that where Emby is getting the mediainfo from?  And if so, is there a way to "deep scan" the library to reaquire the media info data?  When I just rescan the library, this message does not happen (only when new items are added to the library).

Have you tried Refreshing your media at folder level?

gmacman

Have you tried Refreshing your media at folder level?

Yes, tried both regular refresh and advanced refresh with a number of different modes (i.e., local data only, missing data only, etc.).  But no happiness.  

However, doesn't that just grab metadata anyway?  The only time I've seen the word "MediaInfo" listed in my logs is when I'm actually adding files to the library (and thus do a library scan).

Yes, tried both regular refresh and advanced refresh with a number of different modes (i.e., local data only, missing data only, etc.).  But no happiness.  

However, doesn't that just grab metadata anyway?  The only time I've seen the word "MediaInfo" listed in my logs is when I'm actually adding files to the library (and thus do a library scan).

I'm also still facing the same issue, but as I stated earlier in my post with one level of depth it does work via refresh of metadata (so it does not only check metadata):

When I go to the metadata manager and I do a an "advanced refresh" with "add missing data" it does its thing and the missing mediainfo appears and transcoding works as well.

This works recursive to one level only it seems, e.g. so if do an advanced refresh on the structure below it works:

folder1

-sample.avi [mediainfo is missing]

I do an advanced refresh and:

folder1

-sample.avi [mediainfo is there]

• 2 weeks later...

installed the new server version, read about the deep video scan feature that was added, this seems to hint towards the fact that mediainfo is only added during initial scan?

this would explain why my stuff is not corrected, but how to trigger a recursive scan for missing mediainfo?

• 1 month later...

I actually have the same problem. I just have "container" and "path"  in media info on ALL of my videos. I tried to refresh and advance refresh as suggested here. I even tried to delete my paths, library.db, refreshinfo.db and mediainfo.db, restarting the server and adding again the paths. Nothing works... Is it a problem with media info? I even reinstalled media info just to be sure.

My emby server is on raspberry pi 2 raspbian jessie.

I really need help. I never had this issue from my windows emby server.