Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mikeraburn

I am really liking this private channel app.

I am going to run a test and see how well I can stream from my server from two floors up wirelessly,

I would love to move my loud server from my manroom.

I am currently using Kodi with the server hooked direct up to my tv via hdmi and audio optical out to by reciever.

I got my roku 4 Saturday.

The roku 4 was a cheaper option than the new HTPC I have built on NewEgg.

I use a mixture of mp4 / mkv / avi / x264 / x265

I am not an audiophile by any means so the audio won't be a deal breaker.

The audio codecs baffle me.

hoxtonia

The latest version of this private channel app is simply awesome - a huge thanks for all the work that has gone into this....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

@@BobbyDing change the "unknown audio" option from aac to ac3 if your setup allows surround. The livetv stream isnt known ahead of time and by default to work on all setups it uses stereo AAC.

@@mikeraburn make sure the "Convert mpeg4" and "Convert mp2/mp3" option are both "no" to maximize the contents of your avi. As well if you use livetv with surround turn "unknown audio" option to ac3. The rest of it should automatically choose the best option.

@@hoxtonia the options help advanced users get a more advanced client. Thats why its a private app. We can play with more advanced ways to play our media than people who arent on these forums. I would rather focus on making sure that the core functionality of the client is top notch, than worry about pretty eye candy. Maximize the limited views with more information available. Once roku makes the os7 firmware public we can start delving into the scene graph stuff. Out of curiousity, are you making use of the theme colors and experimenting with that huge color list? That part is the most fun. :)

I also redesigned the dialogs to always have the default option on top. So if you mess up its easier to get back to the default by just moving to that option and double tap OK. The bandwidth choice list goes highest to lowest, rather than lowest to highest. Again to reduce the amount of clicks you need to make. These are changes nobody may notice, but it adds to the experience a level of consistency and thoughtfulness. Like the guy writing the app must actually use the app he writes because it shows. The color list because of its size has the default available at the start and end.

The benefit of being a member of this forum, or at the very least visiting this forum are perks like these. There are many treasures hidden among the posts. You just have to look for them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I put the server software on my newer laptop and tossed a variety of files on an external hard drive.

Hooked up the "server" two levels up into a router I use as an access point.

That router runs through a power line adapter.

My roku 4 is hardwired to my main router in the basement.

The private channel saw the new server, I connected, and it was smooth and zero buffering.

BUT.....

There were two files that would not play and actually caused the roku to reboot.

This happened in the stock emby also.

Both were mkvs. One was dts and the other was 5.1.

Both files were over 1gb each.

I tried another 1gb + mkv file with 5.1 and it loaded fast and played.

One file was x265 and the other two were X264.

Other x265 mkvs with 5.1 played as normal.

weird

My Kodi WIN7 rig runs them all well.

And your suggestions above are noted.

This is just FYI.

Not asking for trouble shooting.

BUT.....

There were two files that would not play and actually caused the roku to reboot.

This happened in the stock emby also.

Both were mkvs. One was dts and the other was 5.1.

Both files were over 1gb each.

Try "Using the force" (I just like typing that since sw7 is coming) on the detail screen, under "more...".

5fe89c55547ebfdd8acc8e8574eb9b78.jpg

Choose "Force Transcode" and see if the problem videos play.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Using the force locked up, Luke.

Direct Stream played it and it loaded quick on the DTS MKV but no sound.

Direct Stream on the MKV 5.1 one that would not play played and sound was perfect. 

BobbyDing

@@BobbyDing change the "unknown audio" option from aac to ac3 if your setup allows surround. The livetv stream isnt known ahead of time and by default to work on all setups it uses stereo AAC.

@@speechles Yep, That did the trick. Thanks so much for all your work!

mikeraburn

Speechles,

Wanna hear something funny?

The two files mentioned below play well when I connected my 3 or 4 year old 50" Panasonic Viera plasma to the to EMBY server via DLNA. (correction, TV bought in 2-21-14 TC-P50ST60)  It's been a long 20 months. I've been working out of town a lot....

I haven't had my tv connected to the network in years. (months)

I got the last new in the box from Best Buy on a close out deal for $700.00.

BUT I am loving this roku and your app.

Try "Using the force" (I just like typing that since sw7 is coming) on the detail screen, under "more...".

5fe89c55547ebfdd8acc8e8574eb9b78.jpg

Choose "Force Transcode" and see if the problem videos play.

Edited by mikeraburn

This looks great.  I'm a bit confused, though -- is this a theme for the public emby roku channel or a fork of the public emby roku channel code w/ theming options and other improvements?

It appears as though this version of the emby roku channel is the most up-to-date and full-featured, is that correct?

Sorry for the confusion caused. It is a fork as you suspected. Emby blue neon night = emby roku github + themes + enhancements. The major features include themes, color changes, more detail to quickviews, and better control of transcoding. This includes advanced features that novice users may not understand. Think of it like an rarflix for emby. It is kept as a private channel to try to avoid confusion. Isnt it ironic? Dontcha think?

Edited by speechles

Sorry for the confusion caused. It is a fork as you suspected. Emby blue neon night = emby roku github + themes + enhancements. The major features include themes, color changes, more detail to quickviews, and better control of transcoding. This includes advanced features that novice users may not understand. Think of it like an rarflix for emby. It is kept as a private channel to try to avoid confusion. Isnt it ironic? Dontcha think?

Understood, thanks for clarifying!  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

I tested this out and discovered what appears to be a bug.  I have several libraries, including Blurays, DVDs, TV Movies, Workout Videos, and Home Videos.  BluRays, DVDs, and TV Movies are all type "Movies."  When I enter either the Blurays, DVDs, or TV Movies libraries through the blue neon roku app, all of the movies from all of the libraries appear.

I confirmed that things work properly using the official Emby Roku app (i.e., entering the BluRays library only shows Blurays).

Any suggestions?

@@tadr Strange, the only way this can happen is a difference in a query. There was a difference regarding the ParentId being given during the query. Ive mirrored the query, so now, hopefully it works the same in that regard.

7a48168f559a8e6ee0ebe70218f5be67.jpg

New version:

* correct unknown audio behavior

* add option to always force surround ac3

* add auto-detect direct-play option for flash videos in preferences

The "force surround" option will work like the old "unknown audio" did. It was forcing ac3 even when it shouldnt have been. Now the "unknown audio" will transcode to ac3 only when audio is unknown. The "force surround" will transcode to ac3, rather than defaulting to aac.

Also added flash video direct-play support to auto-detection. It appears to work perfectly, at first, but eventually causes video stalling in the exact same spot every time in almost every test Ive made. Kind of a waste of time, but rather than throw it away it has became a preference (direct-play flash). You will have to enable it. It is defaulted no.

Keep in mind, you can always directplay/directstream any video even if it isnt compatible. So you can test out video compatibility play methods by yourself. No need for more options probably at this point.

Any issues, please shout them out in this thread. If something isnt working right for you it isnt intentional. I just may not have the same library as you, and other things and may not see the issue. This doesnt mean it cannot be fixed. So please any issues lets address them.

Get the updated app via the usual means. Have fun. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

All seems well with the newest update.

Really nice work!

Is it possible, in EMBY, to force aspects?

I am still stumbling through the server side.

I have some media in 4x3 that I would like to have it auto force to 16x9.

If not, I guess I just adjust my TV aspect.

Still loving my Roku4.

Way cheaper than the new HTPC I had built at New Egg but never puled the trigger.

hoxtonia

@speechles

Would it be possible to add an option to add a tv show to favourites - currently the episode display page gives the option in the more options pop up to add to favourites but this only adds the episode to favourites....I did put a feature request to core app but I am guessing Luke is a little busy with ios, theatre etc etc

Personally I think it makes much sense that using this option adds the show to favourites rather than the episode - especially as roku only display tv show favourites - the wording could just be changed to add show to favourites or add it as another option - not sure how many options you can have in that pop up?

MB Mediacenter has the option I think to add episode and show to favourites - not used it in a while...

Also have you a considered a quit check page - like bbc iplayer? - Do you really want to exit emby blue neon? Yes/No. 

Looking forward to some os7 eye candy hopefullly - grid view would be awesome - really appreciate your work on this fork.....

@speechles

Would it be possible to add an option to add a tv show to favourites - currently the episode display page gives the option in the more options pop up to add to favourites but this only adds the episode to favourites.

2fc5bf4d01bd027fe57f2bd449c3fc21.jpg

Ok. Worked a bit on this and here it is. You can now add TV series to favorites. Yes, the menu gets too big to add this in the main menu. When on a TV series you will see a "Change Favorites" in the "more..." menu that pops up. Click it and up pops the menu above. It isnt directly possible to tell if the series is a favorite or not like it is for each item. So in this case it will ask if you want to mark and remove the series name at the same time. This should address that shortcoming. Sorry it took so long to get here. Any problems let me know in this thread.

New version:

* add dialog for marking and removing tv series as favorites

* add functions to support tv series favorites dialog

Enjoy. Get in the usual way. May the force be with you, always. 33 days until sw7!

And yes, it does need a screen to keep from backing out completely to ask "are you sure?" I agree...and yes, scene graph in the os7 roll outs will make UI work much easier with screens. I agree there as well.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

Favorites

Is it possible to have the Favorites listed ALSO in the Library area like genres and Next Up are?

@@mikeraburn

93f147b65d38f655d797ed4f3bbc1612.jpg

Yes it is possible. This is a very good idea and compliments the views nicely. I will use this feature now because of this. Thanks for the idea. ^_~. Above is the TV shows view, giving both favorite TV series and episodes. The movies view will list favorite movies in the same way. These new favorite rows will also respect your sorting and filter preferences.

New version:

* add favorites rows to movies and tv shows views

* add query methods to support these new views.

All links are updated. Get in the regular way. Enjoys. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

You spoil us.

Thanks.

Is there somewhere I can donate some beer or other beverage funds to you directly for all your work?

It isnt necessary really to compensate me for my time. This is a hobby, and a productive time killer for me since the roku is my primary means of using emby. It is unfair to expect the core roku application team to entertain every whim. Thinking they can is an unrealistic pipe dream. So I simply thank you for using the application and all I expect for its use is help in debug things. You all have provided this, so we are quid pro quo in this regard. Use the money to buy yourself a beer, and show me a picture of you enjoying it as you use the roku app. Support the core project and keep this open source option available for people like me to fork and add extra features to. Thanks emby for being open source. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

mikeraburn

My preference would be all of the items be under the libraries and have the genre category listed very last.

I say genre last because I don't think it is used often.  

What I WOULD love to see in the TV shows library is "shows airing today" widget.

Marcelveltd, who is with the Emby/Kodi project, has this in his Kodi Titan Skin.

I am not sure where he scrapes that metadata from, maybe TVRage.

Just random thoughts and babbling,,,,,

@@mikeraburn

Interesting. Emby does offer an upcoming list already if you enable missing and upcoming episodes in the server.

2b939fe08ba32eb6737978bb38c4efb7.jpg

With the way the paginated loader works there is no way to easily limit the results. See mine at a ridiculous 35k upcoming episodes. But, you can enter the detail screen of one of these and left/right to previous/next. With enough time I could look at all thirty five thousand. So if you have lots of shows you track you may see alot of entries too. I can see upcoming episodes as far forward as August of 2016. :D

Keep in mind, upcoming will also give you shows from yesterday which you may have or are missing. These will also populate in the upcoming row. This is how the server works, and this lets you see episodes you may have overlooked and show as missing.

Also, yes, genres belongs at the bottom. It is the red-headed step-child of all the rows. Barely used unless you grow bored and click on things.

New version:

* add upcoming episodes row to TV shows screen

* move genre to bottom on both movies and TV shows

Any issues shout em out. Get the update in the normal ways.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

I have missing and upcoming episodes enabled, I think.

But I don't see them, so maybe I don't have them enabled.

I do now realize that feature would be used less often than genres!

I may regret my suggestion!