Theme: blue neon night

speechles

I'm using a Roku Ultra to a 1080p SDR TV and I have a video that works fine in the standard Emby Channel but errors out (at the same point every time) when trying to watch the same video via the Neon Channel.

I've attached two ffmpeg logs. One from an attempt via the Blue Neon channel and one from completing a watch via the standard Emby Channel.

Server is a FreeNAS running 3.5.3 (latest stable for that OS)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65009-i-think-i-found-a-bug-in-transcoding-when-resuming/

Which version of ffmpeg are you running?

• 3 weeks later...
Baenwort

From looking in the attached logs it looks like 4.1 is the version running.

edit: I ran pkg version ffmpeg and it reports version 4.1.1 is the one running.

Edited by Baenwort

Baenwort

Please ask her to list what she finds wrong in the Emby app. I can help with her transition and make important things work for her. Depending on how complicated in time each of these eat up might make it easier and better for you in the long run. Blue Neon is lacking in several areas. It cannot show backdrops. It's music player and inability to hand craft queues is a downer. The way some screens load into rows rather than grids slows down navigation.

I am here to provide you the same experience you have with blue neon with the caveat that we must keep it even. Things have to match how the general "emby" look is define. How that gets defined is really none of my business. But I can help give you features you want and help you keep the wife acceptance factor. Where everyone is free to use sunscreen. Where everyone is happy. This is where I want the app to be. It isn't there yet but the focus is on getting there. It will get there. Failure is not an option.

This is better for everyone all around too. This gives the emby developers a break, and lets them focus their time where they want. I solely focus my time on the Roku which helps users, emby team, and me since I like this kind of stuff as a hobby. Altogether this means the speed at which features evolve, bugs get fixes, and the speed of development will increase as time goes on. We will get there much faster together than as separate apps. The future is about your media, your way. That is always the number one priority.

Thanks for listening. :)

Thanks for the work. I'll say that the primary reason we still use BNN instead of the Emby app is those ascetic choices. My wife and kids like the look (color choice and horizontal layout) instead of the new "Netflix Lite" driven design. 

I'll start giving the beta channel a try and will see how much of the extra visual jazz I can turn off. 

• 1 month later...
Scott750

Hello,

I've been using using the Blue Neon theme for awhile with great success, but recently my movies won't continuously play anymore.

Single movies play without issue.

I have it set for continuous play and disabled the user input timeout.

Please help.

Emby Server v4.0.1.0

Roku 3 v4.25

Roku.emby.server.log.txt.txt

There is very little I can do with that version anymore. Roku does not allow the application to be updated through their store any longer.

Roku has ended support for the legacy SDK.

https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/releases

You can enable developer mode on your Roku. Use the URL above(BN-ONE) and you can use the zip files to load the app onto your device. This does require more work on your end to get there but this is the best I can offer. The Blue Neon Night app is officially on her own now. There will be no future updates other than what you see on my GitHub. I apologize it has ended. Roku has forced this hand by sunsetting the SDKA the app is based on. All new apps must make use of RSGA and recreate entirely their application.

I am now part of the Emby Team and together we work on issues, features, and bug reports. In this way the main Emby for Roku app will soon be as glorious as Blue Neon Night is/was. This will take time but now we are on the same team. Same focus on your media, your way. It will just take time to get the features from Blue Neon into the new Emby app. Please bear with us as we get there. It shouldn't be a bumpy ride but I cannot make promises. I can only tell you we are headed in the right direction. We have our minds on what matters most.

Edited by speechles

Scott750

Darn, sorry to hear the project is dead now. I really liked what you were doing with the app. But understand it's out of your control. I'll update to the latest version and see how it works. If anything I can use the Emby app as I also have that loaded o to the Roku too.

Gilgamesh_48

I am now part of the Emby Team and together we work on issues, features, and bug reports. In this way the main Emby for Roku app will soon be as glorious as Blue Neon Night is/was. This will take time but now we are on the same team. Same focus on your media, your way. It will just take time to get the features from Blue Neon into the new Emby app. Please bear with us as we get there. It shouldn't be a bumpy ride but I cannot make promises. I can only tell you we are headed in the right direction. We have our minds on what matters most.

So Emby has done for you what Plex did for ljunkie. He was the best, by far, developer on the Roku platform and his Roku app for Plex was superior to any app on any platform for Plex. So Plex hired him and said he was to bring his greatness to the "real" Plex app.

However what actually happened was Plex cut his B..ls off and forced him to limit his skills to what Plex approves of and Plex on the Roku has never been even close to as good since his absorption and subsequent emasculation.

It is hoped that Emby will not limit the skills of its developers like Plex did and I have to say that from what I have seen from Emby I do not expect such a horrendous mistake.

I always get nervous when I hear of a large entity absorbing a smaller one or even one person in order to gain expertise it often goes very badly.

So far I have seen progress in the regular Emby app and responsiveness to users that far exceeds anything the current Plex crew produces and I really really hope the great work continues.

I also hope this does not sound negative as it was not intended that way but rather it is intended to just set up a little warning as to what has happened in the recent past in a similar situation.

Let me alleviate your fears. Whilst everything I put towards the table isn't accepted this is the nature of the game. You must be ready to accept this fact and move on. To have real value the feature must be able to apply to all Emby apps. There are some features that are locked to each device because of how that device operates. But other features need to be on parity with the other clients. It cannot feel like any one app has a certain advantage or disadvantage when it comes to discovering your media. In BNN there are options to launch other apps on your Roku, view the device info of your Roku, a way to add other users to your session to sync watched items automagically, etc. Lots of stuff in BNN only a few, or no other apps can do. It is very unique.

There were several small touches I made just to make it fit the "Roku World". This is where we have work to do. There must be ways to link into the Roku specific things. So if you want to go to YouTube for example. Why do you need to press home and then find it on your homescreen and start it? Why can't Emby do this? This is why BNN has the quick launch row. It is a pre-selected list of consumer applications that are accessed most frequently by users of Emby. We curated that list together and built it for Emby with apps that complement Emby. To succeed in my eyes you must embrace a platform and all the little odd things that exist on it. So we need to do something like this on the Emby app on Roku certainly. There needs to be a way to help users access media outside of Emby with as few button presses as possible. There also must be a way for users to view the device information their Roku can reveal.

There also should be a way for users of the app to easily get to favorites, all on one screen. I suggested something even popped up a sweet working example. I was told to wait. I am waiting. There are other things too. I wait. I already wrote it they just didn't need it right now. But that time will come. Everything happens for a reason. I do not take it as an insult. There are some things where I am too far ahead of the present curve. The BNN app is a vision of what the future can be. I want that future to happen, but certain aspects I expect may not. You cannot control everything when it is no longer in your control. Do not get that statement wrong. I love Emby. It is a joy to be here. Together build a better world, yadda yadda yadda. But the core focus is what propels me. I like the focus put on what is most important. Users and their media presented their way.

You can help us design that vision by liking the first post of any threads with features you also want. I do read through the Roku section for the word "request" and diligently add these to the issue tracker. I don't want to leave any stone unturned. There is no nervousness to feel. Please don't feel there is some dark in this. We are the light side. White hats. Good guys. We want you to be happy. I personally want you to be satisfied.

If you feel we lack somewhere please let us know. We want your feedback to point us in new directions. We can't think of everything. Other thoughts are valuable. No negativity at all was felt through your post either. Just apprehension and maybe slight angst. Rest assured there is no need for this. We got your back. Buddies, Friends, Pals. :)

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

@@speechles Thank you for the detailed and well stated and comprehensive response. I am much reassured about your freedom to develop to produce the best possible app for the Roku.

Now, could you add the ability to fetch a beer from the 'fridge and order pizza as needed? Also maybe make popcorn when requested?

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Now, could you add the ability to fetch a beer from the 'fridge and order pizza as needed? Also maybe make popcorn when requested?

This is where tying emby into a program like home assistant comes in.