Kodi Plugin

mprassel

All, just read through this thread and the one in the Emby for Kodi forum section.  

I've got to say that I'm pretty excited about the prospect of this.  

For me the ability to transcode live tv would be awesome.  I have a few clients that run over wifi and have some problems streaming directly from any PVR backend to kodi.  For those devices, I have the emby theater app installed and use it for live tv, while I use the kodi to serve up all of my media via the emby for kodi addon.  It's a little clunky, but I really like how I can customize the kodi interface.  

Anyway, just wanted to give my thumbs up to this idea.

hifiaudio2

So far I am pretty unhappy with the performance of the Kodi HDHR plugin for their DVR playform.  If you guys can get Emby TV working as a native backend for Kodi that would ROCK!   I assume that would also mean the ability to pause live TV, etc?  The HDHR plugin can not currently do this, so it is not a great replacement for WMC yet.

tornadotj

The performance of the HDHR plug in is great. I wouldn't consider not being able to pause anything to do with the performance. Sure, I'm sitting here watching HDHR View as I type this, and I do wish it could pause, but I would consider that to be a functionality problem, not a performance issue.

I don't feel the HDHR plug in is intended to be a WMC replacement. It is great for me where I don't have WMC machines, mainly bedrooms where I have Roku or other Emby compatible devices. I'm just looking for an easy way for a guest in the guest bedroom to turn on live TV. Right now I have to give them an instruction sheet.

hifiaudio2

We must not be talking about the same thing.  The new HDHR DVR program (from the Kickstarter)  is absolutely being sold as a WMC replacement.  That is the plugin within Kodi that I am using, not HDHR View.

And as far as performance, on my Nvidia Shield, I get numerous stutters, as do many others.  But it is still beta of course.  A long way to go....

tornadotj

We are, then. I'm talking about a nice way of having HDHR View show up in Kodi for playing live TV. I'm not too concerned right now with any alpha applications. I made Kickstarter donation too, but not concerned with it until it's out into at least beta and near release, if not even released.

I'm waiting on high def audio to be supported on the Shield (supposed to be in V2.0), then I will have one too.

Edited by tornadotj

mellomade

So far I am pretty unhappy with the performance of the Kodi HDHR plugin for their DVR playform.  If you guys can get Emby TV working as a native backend for Kodi that would ROCK!   I assume that would also mean the ability to pause live TV, etc?  The HDHR plugin can not currently do this, so it is not a great replacement for WMC yet.

@@hifiaudio2 - I would be interested to know if you have tried playing back any of the .mpg recordings on a PC using VLC or something similar?  If so - do you still experience the stuttering?

I don't own a Shield - but based on its specs - I would imagine that asking it to natively decode MPEG2 at upwards of 20Mbit/s with some form of motion compensated deinterlacing is quite a tall order.  Especially considering that the Kodi Android app, while good, is not as far along as Kodi on other platforms.

mellomade

That's the other thing, I'm running Kodi in OpenELEC, not Android. I'm using this little low-end system, but it is lightning fast on OpenELEC, Kodi, and HDHR View.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/201-computers-parts-great-found-deals/1954153-70-system-kit-low-end.html

That's my experience too.  I use OpenELEC on both a Zotac CI520 and the CI320.  Both use VAAPI MC deinterlacing with native MPEG2 streams from the HDHomeRun tuners with little more than 10-15% CPU.

hifiaudio2

@@hifiaudio2 - I would be interested to know if you have tried playing back any of the .mpg recordings on a PC using VLC or something similar?  If so - do you still experience the stuttering?

I don't own a Shield - but based on its specs - I would imagine that asking it to natively decode MPEG2 at upwards of 20Mbit/s with some form of motion compensated deinterlacing is quite a tall order.  Especially considering that the Kodi Android app, while good, is not as far along as Kodi on other platforms.

I can do better than that.  If I move the recordings to a normal TV series folder and let Emby get the metadata and play back through the normal KODI video player on the Shield, it plays fine (which is another reason I would like the Emby TV app to get native backend TV capability for KODI... I can use it exclusively and also have EMBY monitor/ create folders for the shows).   But played inside the HDHR app there are stutters.  It doesnt stutter all the time, though.  For instance, I watched the Giants/Cowboys game the other night "live"  using the HDHR Kodi plugin.   Much / most of the game played back fine, but every once in a while it would stutter, drop frames, whatever you call it.... audio was always fine.  It would just correct itself after a minute or so, and then do it again sometime later.  5 minutes later, or 30 minutes later,  at just random times. 

Edited by hifiaudio2

mellomade

Haha!  I never actually tried playback via the add-on!  For my testing of SD's backend - all I've done is use their add-on for the scheduling and then have Auto Organize set to import those shows into my TV library for playback.  Must be something wonky with SD's add-on.

An EmbyTV plugin for Kodi would be absolutely fantastic, and close the loop I have with running WMC/SErverWMC for my Kodi clients, and EmbyTV for all other clients.  I much prefer EmbyTV so I can move away from WMC and having to manage the guide listing and channel line up in two places.  Also two DVRs is highly inefficient.

+1 for EmbyTV Kodi plugin!

allen00se

yup, I just upgraded my WMC pc to windows 10 only to realize that I cant install Windows Media Center on it again. So now I am stuck with no way to get live tv to my Kodi clients. Once this plugin is complete I will be set!

MSattler

yup, I just upgraded my WMC pc to windows 10 only to realize that I cant install Windows Media Center on it again. So now I am stuck with no way to get live tv to my Kodi clients. Once this plugin is complete I will be set!

Check the forums there is a hack to install media center on w10.

• 3 weeks later...
tornadotj

Using Titan, I was able to modify the action taken when Live TV is selected. Now I have it fire off the HDHR View app. So, for all users, it's now seamless to pull up Live TV. :)

@@ebr you said it, so now, monthly we can bug you for an update =)

Yeah, we were working on it but, unfortunately, things got slowed down quite a bit.  Hopefully, we will get moving again soon.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

sounds great.. the gents in chat have me trying to get off SWMC and embytv is rocking for emby clients but otherwise im gonna have to stick with wmc and/or use mythtv for kodi users

• 3 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Good Morning,

I hope this message finds you well.  Checking in, to express interest in a Kodi based Emby Live TV Addon.  We have a number of M8 S802 & M8 S812 running OpenELEC 6.0.0  Kodi15.2 both locally, & connected remotely via internet https.  The current Kodi Emby Addon works great for Movies, TV Shows, & Music.  Lacking is an addon or software solution, that performs the function of transcoding live tv streams for internet use, directly into Kodi.  The upload bandwidth needs are too great without transcoding support.

Currently, the only solution I am aware of for this remotely connected transcoding ability, is to run an Android OS with Emby App which comes with a host of other Android related issues & does not outweigh the benefits of an OpenELEC/Kodi platform.  I know that I would be willing to donate additional funds to unlock this feature, if it is a feature that can be added.  Thoughts?

Best-

Darren

steelfanatic

I can't stress this enough! This program for MOBILE/REMOTE live TV is amazing and very easy to setup! So much that I'm ditching my SlingBox/DirecTV setup for remote viewing! Please Please Please make a Kodi plugin for this! I next want to switch to Linux for my home server/NAS and ditch Windows/ NextPVR. NextPVR works great for me but I'm getting tired of depending on Windows. I hate where Microsoft is heading......

Props to the developers! Where can I donate?

Edited by steelfanatic

keithchilders

Yeah, we were working on it but, unfortunately, things got slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully, we will get moving again soon.

Any updates?

keithchilders

Thanks for the link. I had been keeping an eye on this project, but he doesn't yet have recording working nor does he have the schedules direct integration and advance scheduling. As embytv already has all of this working (very nicely) I would hope it wouldn't be too hard to just implement a kodi pvr service wrapper on top of embytv the same way nextpvr, media portal, etc. do.

I would much prefer kodi hitting a robust TV backend service that handles the guide data, scheduling and similar concerns rather than trying to work directly against the tuner.