Kodi Plugin

mprassel

mprassel

Great work on this plugin. Just out of curiosity, has there been any discussion on releasing a Kodi plugin to use the EmbyTV server plugin as a backend for Live TV in Kodi? Would be great.

Thanks!

• Like 1

kmarq13

I believe this request is to create a Kodi addon that can connect to EmbyTV for live tv. 

Currently the Emby for Kodi addon will only map across local movies and tv not anything in the livetv category. 

Basically it would need a new Kodi addon similar to ServerWMC that could interact with the EmbyTV pvr engine to get the live streams, schedule records, pull guide data, etc.

I'd love to see this, as on a PC emby theater has been really lacking and Kodi offers a much more customizable front end to consolidate everything (netflix and local for me).  There was another thread on this not too long back and there was some interest but the devs were all pretty tied up being that the Emby addon is really new and very actively under development yet.

mprassel

Ya, I definitely understand stand the lack of bandwidth for this. Would be very cool though. Just wanted to get it on the radar.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MSattler

Here is the issue I would see in using this for me.  Currently I run EmbySync, and then I use the MytvTV plugin for Kodi.  TV Playback works fine for me, and I have no issues.  If I were to go the Emby Live TV route, the only issue I have is that I believe the Emby Server will now be transcoding my Live TV streams.   Yes I know the transcoding quality is just as good as a live stream, the problem is, it limits the number of sessions I can have to emby from a remote location, or locally using clients which require transcoding.  The only way I would ever go this route, is if we can work it so the Emby Server provides the Guide Data, and Kodi goes directly to the tuner for playback via DLNA.

Just my 2 cents...

Given Kodi's player abilities, I would think we could direct stream from the tuner no problem.

• Like 1

puithove

just to make sure it's absolutely clear, this would need to be done as an actual PVR type addon (completely different type than the existing Emby sync addon).

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219166

It's Kodi's way of integrating PVR services including EPG, LiveTV, recordings, and scheduling.  

I'm not really throwing in a vote to create this since Kodi already has support for many other PVR servers (some of which Emby also supports), but in order to use Emby as the actual backend PVR server in Kodi, this would be necessary.

kmarq13

just to make sure it's absolutely clear, this would need to be done as an actual PVR type addon (completely different type than the existing Emby sync addon).

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219166

It's Kodi's way of integrating PVR services including EPG, LiveTV, recordings, and scheduling.  

I'm not really throwing in a vote to create this since Kodi already has support for many other PVR servers (some of which Emby also supports), but in order to use Emby as the actual backend PVR server in Kodi, this would be necessary.

Perfect, thanks for linking. Hopefully that will help make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

This would be an amazing addition for my setup and would let me use Emby for my entire backend. 

Deihmos

I don't see the benefit unless you want to use kodi with transcoding tv streams. You can already add an hdhomerun dlna device to kodi using numerous pvr addons or use the official app from silicondust

Edited by Deihmos

MSattler

@@ebr,

While I certainly think it would be cool to have Emby PVR backend, as it stands right now, I would never use it until live TV within the same LAN would not require transcoding.   It's just too many resources being tied up on my Emby server.  

I don't see the benefit unless you want to use kodi with transcoding tv streams. You can already add an hdhomerun dlna device to kodi using numerous pvr addons or use the official app from silicondust

The benefit would be ease of use and setup.  We are about to have a complete Live TV/DVR solution built into the server.

While I certainly think it would be cool to have Emby PVR backend, as it stands right now, I would never use it until live TV within the same LAN would not require transcoding.   It's just too many resources being tied up on my Emby server.  

Given Kodi's player abilities, I would think we could direct stream from the tuner no problem.

puithove

@@MSattler - you'll find that Kodi is really quite excellent at playback of streams from LiveTV.  It has the ability to use hardware decode and hardware de-interlacing, or combinations of hardware/software decode/deinterlace.  No transcode needed - feed it the stream directly from the capture and it'll play it beautifully.  In that case, Emby could then become the stream broker, EPG provider, and backend recording device - stuff that you don't get if you just use the existing hdhomerun addon.

I will say that some of Kodi's various addons for the different backends have their own unique quirks when it comes to things like timeshifting.  The functionality varies from one to the next.  Overall though, the combination of having all your media and live tv in once place is hard to beat.

Having a real PVR addon for Kodi using Emby's built-in TV server functionality could really be a good thing for the project.  It'd expand Emby's frontend client base extensively.

• Like 1

MSattler

@@MSattler - you'll find that Kodi is really quite excellent at playback of streams from LiveTV.  It has the ability to use hardware decode and hardware de-interlacing, or combinations of hardware/software decode/deinterlace.  No transcode needed - feed it the stream directly from the capture and it'll play it beautifully.  In that case, Emby could then become the stream broker, EPG provider, and backend recording device - stuff that you don't get if you just use the existing hdhomerun addon.

I will say that some of Kodi's various addons for the different backends have their own unique quirks when it comes to things like timeshifting.  The functionality varies from one to the next.  Overall though, the combination of having all your media and live tv in once place is hard to beat.

Having a real PVR addon for Kodi using Emby's built-in TV server functionality could really be a good thing for the project.  It'd expand Emby's frontend client base extensively.

As long as the streams are coming directly from Kodi to the player then I think it will work fine.  I just don't want an unnecessary trans-coding overhead.

• 2 weeks later...
hifiaudio2

Yes this would rock to have a true Kodi live TV backend from EmbyTV.  Would get around the Live TV transcoding that currently plagues the Emby ATV app and would give the Nvidia Shield a perfect way to playback live TV.  Couple this with the fact that the HDHR Dvr solution does not and may not have a traditional EPG,  Emby live TV as a Kodi backend would fill this gap quite well.   +1 

MSattler

Yes this would rock to have a true Kodi live TV backend from EmbyTV.  Would get around the Live TV transcoding that currently plagues the Emby ATV app and would give the Nvidia Shield a perfect way to playback live TV.  Couple this with the fact that the HDHR Dvr solution does not and may not have a traditional EPG,  Emby live TV as a Kodi backend would fill this gap quite well.   +1 

For me to fully replace MythTV EmbyTV would have to match the ability to only add channels to the guide/channel listing that are enabled in SchedulesDirect.  Currently EmbyTV adds the disabled channels as well.  Separate post has been made for this.

thanks!

tornadotj

Agreed, I just tried to set this up and couldn't figure out how, glad I found this thread stating it's not there yet.

I have the Emby plug-in installed on my OpenELEC (Kodi) box. I also am a Schedules Direct subscriber. I was hoping to see Live TV suddenly pop-up in my OpenELEC box so that I would have a guide. This box is in my guest room, so it has to be very easy to use. Teaching people how to go to the HDHR plug-in on OpenELEC is less than easy.

hifiaudio2

For me to fully replace MythTV EmbyTV would have to match the ability to only add channels to the guide/channel listing that are enabled in SchedulesDirect.  Currently EmbyTV adds the disabled channels as well.  Separate post has been made for this.

thanks!

The latest HDHR firmware supports disabling channels that you dont want right from the web interface for the tuner itself.  So no program would "see"  any channels you disabled. 

MSattler

The latest HDHR firmware supports disabling channels that you dont want right from the web interface for the tuner itself.  So no program would "see"  any channels you disabled. 

Yup, that is what I am doing now.  Of course the same firmware broke the ability for MythTV to block disabled channels =)  So now I have the opposite problem.  Ok, EmbyTV Kodi Plugin please!

tornadotj

And it works! :)

totalhavoc

+1 for a Kodi LiveTV plugin. It would be great to be able to have one backend solution (Emby) instead of Emby (Media) and Nextpvr (live TV)

fantaxp7

I just think it's funny that this is where we are at...emby wanting more plugins for kodi  :)

Believe me I want it too. To have it part of emby's kodi repo would be awesome. But just taking a step back to realize it is hilarious. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...