Recommend movies or shows to other users

Lumute

Lumute

You could possibly do this with trakt already

Thanks, I checked Trakt once but to be honest, social networking is not my thing, I do not want to publish what I'm watching and have no interest on knowing what other people is watching... would I be able to just simply recommend a movie from my library to another user (not all) and that person be able to see what I have recommended without all the social networking stuff? also, would all of us need to open Trakt accounts and install plugins, etc.?

I also saw that you get advertising unless you pay for it, is that the case for the Emby plugin too?

I'll check it again anyway...

Thanks

Edited by Lumute

Angelblue05

It would be nice to have a sort of internal newsletter system [from server admin to users]. This way, it would make it easier to communicate any type of information. :)

• Like 4

Lumute

It would be nice to have a sort of internal newsletter system [from server admin to users]. This way, it would make it easier to communicate any type of information. :)

Mmm, not exactly what I was requesting as it would go to all users and for recommendations to be useful they need to be targeted to specific users... But, now that you mention it, that would be a really cool feature too... :)

Angelblue05

Yes, well I was thinking it would be possible to select the users it goes to lol. :) This way, any type of communication would be possible with one system.

Edited by Angelblue05

Lumute

Oh I see, yes that would do the trick and be quite useful actually... but you have to agree, the way I envisioned it is a lot cooler! :P can we have both? lol...

Edited by Lumute
  • Like 1

CBers

NuVue?

Oh I see, yes that would do the trick and be quite useful actually... but you have to agree, the way I envisioned it is a lot cooler! :P can we have both? lol...

Yes, I agree.  What you originally proposed would be a cool feature.

Anyone else who agrees, should hit "like" on the first post here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Would love this feature also. I was planning on setting up a 'WATCH THIS' playlist to recommend stuff to friends and family, but I guess  I would actually have to set that up on a per user basis and there would be no real way for them to recommend stuff back to me. This suggestion is a hell of a lot cooler. 

• Like 2

Angelblue05

We could maybe have a shared playlist between users? It could be treated like a channel, where you can select who has access to it and it would display under Home. Then it would be easier all around, you could start playing the content directly from the playlist. :)

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Back link to my dupe request.

For reference I would be against the use of Trakt due to their T&C and privacy policy. This should be a self hosted solution.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't you do this now by using a collection to hold recommendations? Then all need is notification of additions.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
kjhedges

I posted else where for this sorry.

But I would like a feature along these lines.

A library of recommended media for each user. Something that could have on homepage as latest recommended (like latest tv or Latest movies)

I say user, as to me not all users would appreciate the same recommendations, so a user base system for recommendations would suit better.

rbjtech

So I've been working on a solution to this in the background as a few weeks ago, my parents asked for recommendations as they say there is too much to choose from haha.

Currently my solution is manually but it's working ok - I'm now trying to automate it by reading a defined playlist and building the recommendations from that, as currently there is no way to tag a 'recommendation'.

As of now - it uses a 'Recommended' library, with sub folders / permissions - one folder per user.

In these folders are strm links to the actual recommendation - be be a movie or tv series.

Because the 'Recommended; library acts just like any other library on the 'latest' view - you simply need to put 'Recommended' to the top of the list for each user - and up pops the Recommendations for that user (and only that user)..

rec4.PNG.7bb2ff6c30a4ddccc6050719f9399820.PNG

resulting in ...

rec1.thumb.PNG.b345c8e990ea5c3af1c226eb84b10e25.PNG

The strm files are just links to the real video files (+ copies of metadata) - each user having their own folder in the library so they can be individually permissioned ..

rec2.thumb.PNG.b481cb3451989002e69b0def8b9151b7.PNG

.. permission for each 'recommendation' folder is configured for each user.  There is nothing to stop you having 'Generic' recommendations - simply add to the permissions - or if all are ticked, the user will see all the recommendations across all users .. 

rec3.PNG.9dc790ca2ae9630d1bb40b175e9047b2.PNG

As the user watches an item in the 'Recommendations' list - then it drops off the list (as it's a played item) which is neat - and of course also tags it as played in the main library. 👍

As I said - this is all great, but it's manual as I need to create the STRM files (which is easy enough, but it's not possible to do this via the emby GUI).

So my thoughts are to read a predefined users recommend playlist xml file  - which can be added to by simply selecting the playlist and 'add' - and use that to auto generate the strm links in that users recommended library.  This should be easy enough to do, I just haven't got around to it yet.

So it's not perfect by any means - and is a workaround until it's done properly in the db - but instead of tagging a film as 'recommended to user X' - you simply add that film to their 'recommended playlist' instead (or multiple recommended playslists) and it will then show in their 'Latest Recommendation' (library) list following the next schedule.

I'll keep you updated on progress - likely in the 'tools' section of the forum.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...