MB Intro's Audio Format

Mopar_Mudder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, but he wants it to select a random one from a group of them instead of always playing the same one for each format.  That is one of the complexities I have removed from this version to make it easier to setup and understand.

I don't quite understand how being able to select a root folder that contains subfolders with appropriate names vs. selecting a root folder that contains files with appropriate names, is much more complex.

At any rate, thoughts on adding an 'other' type category for audio? That would play a specified file if the audio format does not match any of the default ones.

Most of my movies are ripped with FLAC as the audio.  Would love to be able to play either of the HD audio files in this case - given the FLAC audio is a rip of the HD audio.

Or better yet, instead of other, adding an actual 'FLAC' option.

Edited by foghat

Mopar_Mudder

In the end, very few people are using this plug-in and I was hoping to increase that reach by making it simpler.

Wow that is too bad. For me this in the best and most important Plug-In that MB has, thanks for putting the effort into making it. I can't believe more people don't use in, maybe we need to beat them over the head with it to see the light :D

Mopar_Mudder

The additional complexity is that you now have to have different folders for each different audio format instead of being able to just have a single folder of all intros.

Each additional thing like this makes it just that more complicated for a user to setup and, while it isn't quite as powerful for the super user, it is less accessible to normal folks.

I know what you are saying. But personally I think having to make sure that your files have the correct naming format is harder and more prone for problems then having separate folders...

I know what you are saying. But personally I think having to make sure that your files have the correct naming format is harder and more prone for problems then having separate folders...

The folders would have to have the proper names too...

what about not having any naming conventions and doing it all from the web configuration? here's my intro for dts, here's my intro for truehd, etc

Mopar_Mudder

In the older version they didn't. You just pointed to any folder you want.

what about not having any naming conventions and doing it all from the web configuration? here's my intro for dts, here's my intro for truehd, etc

This is how the old one was done but it required a ton of setup in order for anything to work.

I chose to take a simpler approach in configuration to try and make it more accessible.

In the end, very few people are using this plug-in and I was hoping to increase that reach by making it simpler.

Right.  You have a root folder called Audio (or whatever) then each subfolder has the proper name - just like the names for the files in the current implementation (dolby, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, etc).

Now, in theory, when the plugin is looking for DTS file, it finds the DTS folder and then randomly picks one of the files within said folder.  I'd think/hope the files could be named whatever one wants, as the folder would drive things.

The additional complexity is that you now have to have different folders for each different audio format instead of being able to just have a single folder of all intros.

Each additional thing like this makes it just that more complicated for a user to setup and, while it isn't quite as powerful for the super user, it is less accessible to normal folks.

Didn't see this post before I responded above.  I sort of disagree: in both cases you just need to point to the main 'audio' folder.  Currently, the audio folder contains files with the proper names, instead of folders with the proper names.  Setup wise I don't see how thisis really any different.  Either way you need to make sure things are named properly.

The additional complexity is in the structure of your file system.  Plus, the complexity of having to understand the concept of multiple items all pertaining to the same thing.

As I said, I tried to simplify it.  Very few people have purchased this plug-in (relative to the scope of MB) so I hoped to make it easier for more people to grasp and use.

The additional complexity is in the structure of your file system.  Plus, the complexity of having to understand the concept of multiple items all pertaining to the same thing.

As I said, I tried to simplify it.  Very few people have purchased this plug-in (relative to the scope of MB) so I hoped to make it easier for more people to grasp and use.

I hear you.  My take on trying to increase purchases: it is a tough spot, but I don't think you are going to get more users by making this type of change.  Am curious, is the word on the street (or in messages to yourself) that MB Intros is diffcult to use/configure? If not, why do you think stripping away functionality in hopes of making it easier to configure is going to increase sales? 

If we step back for a minute and think about what it takes (regardless of plugin configuration) to even use the Audio format intro in the way it is intended - it means the user:

1. Understands that there are different types of audio formats.

2. Actually cares to display an audio intro.

3. Has gone out of their way to find, sample, and download these different audio format intro files.

I'd bet with the majority of the population, you won't get past 1.  Now, I'd argue the majority of the population does not use MB3 or any of its competitors.  And right there that says something: the people using this stuff are the type of folks who are not going to balk they have to create a very basic file structure or get confused of the fact that you can have multiple files for the same audio type.  If anything I bet adding more functionality (and potentially making things more complex) is the way you will attract a bigger audience.

I will let it rest now.  I've said my peace.   :)  

Edited by foghat

I think this plug-in has a very narrow prospective audience in general.  So, that also affects my ability to prioritize modifying and supporting it among the 132 other things I'm juggling :).

So, the simplification not only reduces the complexity for the end user but also the complexity of supporting it on my end.