Sort music by composer

wolfgang

wolfgang

Hi!

I'm new to Emby, and I'm currently testing it. For us people who love to listen to classical music, we need to be able to sort the music by composer and not album or interpreter. See, if I want to listen to Schumann 4th Symphony played by Kleiber/VPO I search at first after Schumann, not Kleiber.

It's just a tag, shouldn't be too hard to implement, right? iTunes does this like since forever.

Thanks!

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It's now December 2018 and ..... has this been implemented?  If so, how is it done?  Pretty please.

Edited by Bainsey

Sorry, no this hasn't made it to the top of the list yet.

There just aren't that many people using Emby for Classical music compared to everything else.

I'm pretty sure we will get there eventually though :).

Thanks for replying ebr.

Maybe I'm failing to see the bigger picture but it isn't just about composers of classial music.

It seems to me to be really more generally about using metatags that are already embedded in the media files.

People with a half-decent sized collection of pretty much any genre of music would benefit from the

ability to create custom search criteria.  Smart lists would be great but the same could be achieved with custom lists.

If it is currently possible to search by genre or artist or album, is it really more difficult to also give users

the option to search by composer or conductor or orchestra - or whatever metatag the user choses?

I know you guys are busier that a one-armed taxi driver with crabs but it would be wonderful if this could be put on the road map.

Anyway, thanks for your great efforts.  :)

is it really more difficult to also give users

the option to search by composer or conductor or orchestra - or whatever metatag the user choses?

Mainly we just have to figure out where in the interface we're going to put that. We will get there. Thanks.

Thanks Luke.

How about the top bar that in the theatre mode player currently holds

"Suggestions - Albums - Album Artists - Playlists - Genres - Folders" ?

If you are worried about screen real estate, I'd be happy not to have Suggestions & Album Artists.

Also Playlists, Genres and Folders aren't essential here because they can all be reached by other routes.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
timlance

The support as of now, September, 2021 is useless. I click "Composers" and get a nice list of them. But it's only for "Songs" When you search artists you get Songs *and* albums. Without Albums, Composer is useless. For example, I have a set of Beethoven symphonies (well, several 😝). One set is live and for each symphony the first and last tracks are titled 'Applause'.

Looks ridiculous. Useless.

More, it's OK to search by Artist but I can't always remember/know which I want. Quite often I first decide what work by what composer I want to hear and then browse the albums. Can''t do that in Emby. Can do that in Apple's Music.app (macOS and iOS) and that's fine if I'm at home using Music.app on my computer or if using iOS Music.app Apple has a Lossless version.

I am no coder and I understand Classical folks are apparently a minority but I just don't see how this could be that huge a thing to roll in. More, the wish for this has been here for years.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.37.43 PM.png

2 minutes ago, timlance said:

The support as of now, September, 2021 is useless. I click "Composers" and get a nice list of them. But it's only for "Songs" When you search artists you get Songs *and* albums. Without Albums, Composer is useless. For example, I have a set of Beethoven symphonies (well, several 😝). One set is live and for each symphony the first and last tracks are titled 'Applause'.

Looks ridiculous. Useless.

More, it's OK to search by Artist but I can't always remember/know which I want. Quite often I first decide what work by what composer I want to hear and then browse the albums. Can''t do that in Emby. Can do that in Apple's Music.app (macOS and iOS) and that's fine if I'm at home using Music.app on my computer or if using iOS Music.app Apple has a Lossless version.

I am no coder and I understand Classical folks are apparently a minority but I just don't see how this could be that huge a thing to roll in. More, the wish for this has been here for years.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.37.43 PM.png

Hi, you click on a Composer and there is a Songs section, Albums section under that, and more.

timlance
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, you click on a Composer and there is a Songs section, Albums section under that, and more.

Thanks, Luke. But ... Not on my system (M1 iMac / Big Sur) no on iOS device. See screenshot. That is a true screenshot. Note there is no where more to scroll up/down. IOW what you see is what there is: Songs, More Like This, Links. No Albums. Such behavior does present for all other music, even classical when searching by Artist. That is, for example, if I search on a conductor I'll get the Albums section through which I can then get to one. That's just not how I have browsed my collection, from the days of LPs through CDs, and into digital user interfaces.

I have almost 8,000 "songs" tagged into 811 Albums. Sure do hope I'm doing something wrong. Being still new to Emby it's of course likely.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 9.22.54 PM.png

On 9/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, timlance said:

Thanks, Luke. But ... Not on my system (M1 iMac / Big Sur) no on iOS device. See screenshot. That is a true screenshot. Note there is no where more to scroll up/down. IOW what you see is what there is: Songs, More Like This, Links. No Albums. Such behavior does present for all other music, even classical when searching by Artist. That is, for example, if I search on a conductor I'll get the Albums section through which I can then get to one. That's just not how I have browsed my collection, from the days of LPs through CDs, and into digital user interfaces.

I have almost 8,000 "songs" tagged into 811 Albums. Sure do hope I'm doing something wrong. Being still new to Emby it's of course likely.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 9.22.54 PM.png

OK I can see some cases where that would happen. It will be improved for the next release of the server. thanks.

• Like 1

timlance
8 hours ago, Luke said:

OK I can see some cases where that would happen. It will be improved for the next release of the server. thanks.

YAY! I'm not losing my mind.

Much thanks, Luke.

• 8 months later...
timlance

Now on v4.7 - Composers view still not good. When you say "next release of the server" do you mean v5?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, timlance said:

Now on v4.7 - Composers view still not good. When you say "next release of the server" do you mean v5?

Hi, please describe your issue in more detail. Thanks.

timlance
On 5/21/2022 at 9:12 PM, Luke said:

Hi, please describe your issue in more detail. Thanks.

See my post above from September 10, 2021 to which you replied "... will be improved for the next release of the server".

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, timlance said:

See my post above from September 10, 2021 to which you replied "... will be improved for the next release of the server".

When you view a composer detail screen, there is a Songs section and an Appears On section, where you can see tracks and albums in which they are listed as a composer.

timlance

Thanks sticking with me, Luke.

But I do not have an "Appears On" section. I have Songs, More Like This, and Links.

38 minutes ago, timlance said:

Thanks sticking with me, Luke.

But I do not have an "Appears On" section. I have Songs, More Like This, and Links.

Strange. Perhaps try refreshing the metadata on the tracks and see if that helps.

timlance

Tried that on the library. No good. Deleted my library and added new one. No good. Deleted iOS app/reinstalled. No good.

Below is a stitched together composite screenshot. Disclaimer: not the best at such stuff!

emby.png

10 minutes ago, timlance said:

Tried that on the library. No good. Deleted my library and added new one. No good. Deleted iOS app/reinstalled. No good.

Below is a stitched together composite screenshot. Disclaimer: not the best at such stuff!

emby.png

Do you actually have these albums in the Albums tab of your music library? 

timlance

Absolutely - just double-checked. The view I get (i.e. Songs, More Like This, and Links) is the same for all composers.

Edited by timlance
can't type for sh!t

13 hours ago, timlance said:

Absolutely - just double-checked. The view I get (i.e. Songs, More Like This, and Links) is the same for all composers.

So in that last mobile screenshot you provided, if you click the three dot menu on one of the songs, is there a View Album option?